Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Is your ZR 6spd or auto?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Built2shredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Automatics on average are slower by about a second... So if your taking your car to the drag strip you will definatly want a manual...

But bottom line is you have complete control of the car, where as the automatic based on its programming will decide when to shift for you... even with the auto-stick it automaticly down shifts for you when you slow down...

You really need to drive one in order to fully understand...
Old 02-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Bodie

That's what I don't get. Why would an automatic be "slower by about a second" when you could shift at the exact same time as a stick, only faster and smoother?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Built2shredZ

Automatic Transmission are way more complicated then a manual transmission, it has a lot more parts to it... because of this it actually loses HP (most of which I beleive is lost in the torque converter)... That is why automatic dyno's show they have less HP compared to a manual transmission of the same car.

Also take in consideration that automatics programing is not designed for racing shift points its designed for smoother shifting, so in automatic mode the car will not shift at peak power... Even in auto-stick mode there is a good second delay from the time you push to change gears and when the car acutally does change gears.... then throw in the HP loss from the transmission and you can see where you lose that second ...
Old 02-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Built2shredZ
6MT here.. same with my G35 sedan... Im a control freak

You'll probably find that 80% of roadster sold are Auto's.... Being that older people buy this car and prefer the auto... I bet the guys here that bought 6MT are all under 35

Nope. 39. Manual. This car is a pure toy for me. My daily driver is a Honda Pilot. Please don't generalize that "older" people prefer auto. Previously, when I only had one vehicle to use all the time, it was an Audi S4, and that too, was a manual. I will always have a manual so long as my left foot is functional. They are just so much fun!!!
Old 02-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Bodie

I understand your math, but I'm not sure that I completely agree with it. You've convinced me that there is likely a performance difference, but I'm not convinced it's significant. My auto-stick shifts pretty much instantly and I don't think that any hp lost due to transmission complexity would be noticable. Like I said though, I've never driven a stick and I'm no car expert, so maybe I'm just rationalizing with myself. Do you have any numbers on the hp difference between manual and automatic due to transmission complexity? I've not found anything on Google and every manufacturer I've seen lists the hp as the same in their specs for auto v. manual of the same model.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Built2shredZ

Both Auto and Manual start out with the same HP at the crank, given there the same engine, but by the time the HP gets to the rear wheels the automatic has lost HP. You will see this on any dyno of automatic vs a manual. I'll look around and find you some dyno's showing you what I mean.

As a personal refrence, my brother has a Automatic 350ZR. Everytime we have raced I have beat him everytime... Given that with a manual transmission you can REV the engine higher when you take off to gain greater speed then a automatic which starts out at 800 RPM's and has to work its way up... but even with moving starts I still pull away from him... nothing major mind you, but its still faster..

Update:

ok i've looked thru the boards and can not find the dyno's anymore that used to be there showing a stock auto #'s..

I did look thru the internet reql quick and found few places that listed 0-60 numbers for both the manual and automatic, and it shows roughly 0.5 seconds difference between the auto and manual. Not as big as I had thought...

Last edited by Built2shredZ; 02-19-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Built2shredZ

Originally posted by Speedracer
Nope. 39. Manual. This car is a pure toy for me. My daily driver is a Honda Pilot. Please don't generalize that "older" people prefer auto. Previously, when I only had one vehicle to use all the time, it was an Audi S4, and that too, was a manual. I will always have a manual so long as my left foot is functional. They are just so much fun!!!
Given there are exceptions to the rule, but the majority of people over 30 still prefer automatics (why do you think manufactors make more auto's then manuals, the demand is there).. Given now a days traffic is a lot worse then say 20 years ago, which is probably one of the main reason people go with automatics...
Old 02-19-2005, 07:08 PM
zmann

I had the manual enthusiast for two months and traded it for touring auto. By and large I'm happier with the auto given that it has the manual shift mode. But it will never compensate for the joy of driving a stick. I do miss that on occasion and hope to get a stick again someday, but the seating and clutching position in the Z just didn't work for my back (prior back surgery). Never had a problem in my 5 spd and 6 spd Maximas. It was a disappointment. But don't let anybody tell you the manumatic is the same as a stick. It is not, but it is a much appreciated alternative. I'll never drive an auto that doesn't have this option. Our FX45 has the same transmission and it is fantastic.

my 2c

srm
Old 02-20-2005, 04:01 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given there are exceptions to the rule, but the majority of people over 30 still prefer automatics (why do you think manufactors make more auto's then manuals, the demand is there).. Given now a days traffic is a lot worse then say 20 years ago, which is probably one of the main reason people go with automatics...

Maybe over 60 prefer automatics, but over 30?!! At least not in the crowd I hang with. Most people who can afford car like the Z roadster ($35,000+ two seat roadster)are over 30. I know plenty of people who own serious sports cars, most well over 30. None of them would even dream of having their enthusiast vehicle be an auto. Just telling you what I see around me,that's all.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Built2shredZ

Im just going by the #'s the sales manager at nissan told me... he said over 80% of there 350z's come in automatic.... Figure the main age group for this car is between 30-50 (atleast thats who nissan is targeting) so you gotta figure someone is buying all these automatics....

Someone should setup a poll on here asking which transmission each person has... be interesting to see what the results would be since most people on here are performance minded...
Old 02-20-2005, 10:54 AM
zmann

This topic of interest never goes away, does it? In the www.350ZRoadsterclub.com forum, there is a poll going on this very thing, and last time I checked it, the results were almost 50/50 auto to manual. Now granted there were probably less than 50 people that had responded so you can't say with statistical certainty that's representative. But I would also tend to agree that most of the enthusiasts that seek out these forums are probably stick drivers, as well. I was before I got my Z, well, like I said, I started out that way but gave it up for entirely other reasons which unfortunately were paramount to performance. If I had my way I'd have one of each (grin).

srm
Old 02-20-2005, 10:57 AM
zmann

http://350zroadsterclub.com/cgi-bin/...l,m=1098918786

This is the link

srm
Old 02-21-2005, 02:16 AM
Eraser

I am over 60 and my 350Z is a 6MT. I have had sports cars all my life and they have all been MT.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Sonoran

6M... I have had manual most of my life. IMHO a roadster just isn't right without a manual transmission.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:11 AM
omen68x

Here's a quick list I came up with. OK, some of these will not apply to the autos in Zs, but they definitely applied to older cars.

Advantages of Manual Transmissions
* dropping the clutch to launch!
* heel/toe downshifts (great for downshifting during hard cornering in case you didn't do it properly and downshift BEFORE cornering)
* engine braking
* not having to use the brake at stoplights
* better gas mileage
* clutch start with a dead battery/starter
* drive in neutral (NOT recommended for autos)
* be towed on all fours
* extra gear with closer gear ratios (easier to stay in the power band)
* lighter weight (more usable hp)
* no power loss from torque converter (more usable hp)
* cheaper to buy AND maintain
* shifter and shifting "look cool"
* you get a tach
* less people will ask to drive the car
* lower chance of the car being stolen
* drifting (kick the clutch!)
* squealing the tires between shifts
* slipping the clutch to squeal the tires
* you can actually hit redline (or pass it like I do)
* easier to pass cars and easier to squeeze between them, too
* you can skip gears

I can only think of 2 GOOD reasons why one would choose an auto. These are VERY GOOD reasons, though, and can negate every advantage the stick has. They are having to drive in traffic (as everyone knows) and towing a boat. When I used to have a boat and watch people at the boat launch, the ones with stick would have a hard time pulling their boats up and would burn their clutches.

I live in SoCal and drive 40 miles a day to work. I'm lucky that I don't have to drive during rush hour. When I do drive in traffic, my leg either cramps up or becomes sore for days. (Yes, the Z is my daily.)

I've only been driving stick for a year. I practiced for about 4 months before getting my Z. In those 4 months, I stalled a lot but it was well worth it. My brother's Civic Sedan is stick and my old Civic Coupe was auto. My brother's car is stock and mine had a bunch of mods to boost power. I can tell you that his is more fun to drive BECAUSE it's stick!

In case you feel like reading some more: http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/20...automatic.html
Old 02-24-2005, 04:39 PM
luttmeister

6 speed - this is my fair weather toy car, and you can't have as much fun in a Z with an auto. I commute 23 miles each way every day to Dallas, and I drive an auto 4Runner most of the time to commute.

When I moved to Dallas, I had a 1985 5 speed Maxima SE with all the goodies on it, and a very stiff clutch. One day of doing stop-and go in a Texas ice storm to work cured me of driving a stick for commuting.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:53 AM
DeZigner

Originally posted by Sonoran
6M... I have had manual most of my life. IMHO a roadster just isn't right without a manual transmission.
I'm 54, and couldn't agree more. A roadster has to be a MT.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:06 AM
maxipad96

You auto guys need to learn how to power brake. Its the only way to launch an auto the right way.

Take your TCS off.

Hold down the brake and rev the car to apx 3k-4k. Let off on brake completely and instantly smash the gas.

You will lightem up for as long as you want. Do the same thing except feather the gas to get a great takeoff.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Built2shredZ

Originally posted by maxipad96
You auto guys need to learn how to power brake. Its the only way to launch an auto the right way.

Take your TCS off.

Hold down the brake and rev the car to apx 3k-4k. Let off on brake completely and instantly smash the gas.

You will lightem up for as long as you want. Do the same thing except feather the gas to get a great takeoff.
Then head to your Nissan dealership to buy new brake pads
Old 02-26-2005, 02:11 PM
captusnr

6MT here.. same with my G35 sedan... Im a control freak

You'll probably find that 80% of roadster sold are Auto's.... Being that older people buy this car and prefer the auto... I bet the guys here that bought 6MT are all under 35

Quick Reply: Is your ZR 6spd or auto?