Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Convertible Top in Winters!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 01:26 AM
speedracer9728

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top in Winters!!

I could be getting a roadster this summer, but it would be my only car. That means I would have to drive this thing during the winter. For those that drive their roadsters year round, do you protect the convertible tops from snow and ice? or are those elements even bad for it? Please inform me...thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 05:14 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've survived one pretty hard winter with the Roadster, The Top Seems to do just fine (Although the car is garage kept). I Don't know that I would put anything over it if its going to snow or get wet.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:07 PM
speedracer9728

thanks.

just curious if the convertible top is fragile to snow and ice..I live in an apartment, and have no car ports, so it would be exposed to all the elements. Thanks. Just wanted to hear from owners and their experiences.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:35 PM
maxpowers

I wouldn't worry about it, there are a lot of convertibles out there and I've never heard of the top being damaged by snow. Your not however, supposed to put the top down when the temps are below freezing.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
mwest300zx

I have never not owned a convertible since I started driving. And by the look of some of these posts I've been driving before many of you were born. I currently own a 66 Mustang convertible, a 64 MB 230SL convertible, a 91 Miata, 93 300zx convertible, my 350 Z convertible and a 99 Sebring convertible. I have never replaced a convertible top on any of my cars except when I lived in New York city and the top was vandalized on my 73 Olds Delta 88 Royale convertible, a white top (and that was in 73 when the car was new). By the way that car was fast had a 455 4bbl. I have never used any kind of top sealants/treatments. Just cleaned the tops periodically with soap and water and a soft brush. Tops today are far better as far as withstanding the elements than they used to be.Especially since now most convertibles have glass back windows.
Bottom line is these tops were created to withstand the elements. Only drawback with convertibles is that they are nosier and eventually will develop squeaks and rattles here and there. But, the Z is definitley one of the tighter convertibles out there. Good luck with it and enjoy it. Driving with the top down on a nice sunny day makes everything right with the world. By the way I've owned convertibles in Chicago, Cleveland, NYC and NJ.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:53 AM
maxpowers

These are the cars that you have owned, or currently own? If the latter, wow! Your insurance must be close to my mortgage payment!

Originally Posted by mwest300zx
I currently own a 66 Mustang convertible, a 64 MB 230SL convertible, a 91 Miata, 93 300zx convertible, my 350 Z convertible and a 99 Sebring convertible. .
Old 06-06-2005, 12:33 PM
mwest300zx

Maxpowers,
Maybe, whats the dollar worth today vs. Canadian money. My insurance bill is not too terrible. The Mustang, 300zx, Benz and Miata are all insured under a collector car/limited use policy with Grundy Worldwide Insurance. Zero deductible for comp/collision, 100,000/300,000 liability. Costs me $575 per year. The Sebring, 350Z,Subaru Outback (for my bikes & kayaks) and my Ford Van run me another $5250 per year. If I could figure out a way to carry my stuff in the convertibles I would dump the Outback and van. Although the Outback is a terrific little car.Bottom line is I am in my 50's, always liked cars and if I don't do my thing now --when will I do it.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:31 AM
maxpowers

That collectors limited use policy sounds good. I used to have two cars (three including my wife) and a motorcycle but I had to get rid of the 86 Carrera because the cost of insurance wasn't worth it for the amount I drove it. To qualify as a collectors car here it would have to be 25 years old so I couldn't use that loophole.

Plus I live in the city of Toronto (not the suberbs) which tends have higher insurance rates. The Carrera was $1800 a year ($1400 USD) with a clean driving record.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:32 PM
mwest300zx

To qualify as a collector car as far as the state is concerned, then yes the car has to be at least 25 yrs. old. As a collector car I paid to register it only once. About $45. I get renewals in the mail every year but no fee for renewing. Also, in NJ your car has to be inspected. This is waived for collector cars. But, for insurance purposes the collector car insurers have their own guidelines. My Miata (91) and 300zx qualify as limited use vehicles because I do use them only nice days weekends etc. They are garaged and I do have other primary vehicles. Grundy is fairly liberal in their guidelines. I had American Collectors Insurance for about 10 yrs. and they had many more restrictions. Mileage was limited, use was limited and they would not have insured the Miata and the 300zx. I saw the owner/president of Grundy on the speed channel on the show with Dennis Gage, I think it's called My Classic Car. He spoke of the different coverages they offered. I called them the next day and switched my insurance to Grundy that day. That was about 4 years ago. I had no claims with American Collectors. But, within a month I had 2 claims with Grundy. My 91 300zx and my 93 convertible were on my driveway while I was cleaning out the garage. A freak hail storm came out of nowhere and hammerd both cars. $5k to the 91 and $3500 to the 93, cost to repair. I got them back into the garage within 3-5 minutes, but too late. They paid both claims with no hassels. And did not even raise my rates a dollar.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:38 AM
chingwithbling

Originally Posted by maxpowers
That collectors limited use policy sounds good. I used to have two cars (three including my wife) and a motorcycle but I had to get rid of the 86 Carrera because the cost of insurance wasn't worth it for the amount I drove it. To qualify as a collectors car here it would have to be 25 years old so I couldn't use that loophole.

Plus I live in the city of Toronto (not the suberbs) which tends have higher insurance rates. The Carrera was $1800 a year ($1400 USD) with a clean driving record.
You must have some fun riding in that one...
Old 10-31-2005, 02:02 PM
funkymonkey1111

my roadster has had more than a foot of snow on it with no problems--the top is sound, and ice and snow don't seem to bother it.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My ZR sheds a tear for all it's brothers that have to face the snow. Mine stays nice, warm and covered for a 3 month hibernation in 2 weeks.

Sleep tight!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 PM
Scotty1230

Guys who store their cars....where do you store? I don't have a garage but will have another car. Pro storage?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:39 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
My ZR sheds a tear for all it's brothers that have to face the snow. Mine stays nice, warm and covered for a 3 month hibernation in 2 weeks.

Sleep tight!
+1, mine is being stored in my garage for a year, Will be started monthly by the wife, but at least it will be nice and clean and LOW miles when I get back.

So sad that my ZR will have 3200 miles with only 2.4 years of ownership!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:14 AM
Netko350Z

Almost forgot...

Gotta put Z up on blocks....And hook up the pacemaker so her heart doesn't die!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:05 AM
stinkboy

Originally Posted by zand02max
+1, mine is being stored in my garage for a year, Will be started monthly by the wife, but at least it will be nice and clean and LOW miles when I get back.

So sad that my ZR will have 3200 miles with only 2.4 years of ownership!
you should buy a storage charger if you are doing it for a year. yes turning over the car monthly will help the fluids but you need a trickle charger to save the battery so when she goes to start the thing it actually starts. they are not that expensive and fire depts use it so that when they need the apparatus it actually starts.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:53 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Yes, a trickle charger will be added as well as placing the OEM tires on thick carpets.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Netko350Z

Originally Posted by stinkboy
you should buy a storage charger if you are doing it for a year. yes turning over the car monthly will help the fluids but you need a trickle charger to save the battery so when she goes to start the thing it actually starts. they are not that expensive and fire depts use it so that when they need the apparatus it actually starts.

Ok that's my next question...Should I turn it over once a week (or so) and let it run for 10 mins or let it sit longer? I plan on dumping gas stabilizer into the tank.

Since all I'll see outside is snow...sitting in my ZR and starting it will be like a "mental vacation".
Old 11-01-2005, 03:38 PM
maxpowers

I don't think you will ever find a definitive answer to that question. Some people say yes, other say its better to just let it sit due to the massive amounts of friction at startup. When I had my '86 Carrera, I started it every two weeks and it worked well up until I sold it a few years ago.

For me, there is nothing I enjoy more than rally rally-styling my Z around the block in the snow (with snow tires). But maybe that is a Canadian thing...

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
Ok that's my next question...Should I turn it over once a week (or so) and let it run for 10 mins or let it sit longer? I plan on dumping gas stabilizer into the tank.

Since all I'll see outside is snow...sitting in my ZR and starting it will be like a "mental vacation".
Old 11-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Netko350Z

Hell yea...rally in the snow!!!

Can't wait to get the Audi on some fresh parking lot and do some spins!!! Switch off the ESP and turn the wheel and let her rip!!!

Quick Reply: Convertible Top in Winters!!