350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Roll bar?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darthvol
slick, from EnthuZ's pic., they look pretty stout to me, considering the shape (an arch) and the most likely stress point, the top of the arch. An arched piece of metal, even as small in diameter as a bike frame, is more than strong enough to hold up the weight of the Z, and will transfer the weight/stress of the car upon rollover to the quite healthy-looking metal bar underneath, and then to the frame.

As any engineer will tell you, if you want to know about the strength of an arch when stress is applied from the top, instead of from the sides of the arch, contrast how hard an egg is to break when squeezing, even w/both hands pushing, from opposite ends, i.e., the respective "tops" of two opposing arches, versus pressing from the sides, which requires little effort to make an omelette.

OTOH, at 6' even I also have Ivey's problem, and will need to remember to duck.

It's not about it's ability to hold the weight of the car...it's about how short they are. I mean, if this thing rolled over my head would hit the ground. LOL
The windshield frame is built to hold the weight of the car too right?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Darthvol

slick, if you want a car w/rollbars that will keep your head from hitting the ground against the force of gravity with a std. 3 pt harness and the car upside down, the bars would need to be about 3 ft. above the tonneau. My 5'2" wife rolled a hardtop 4 door sedan once, while wearing her seatbelt, and her head still hit the roof of the car.

Even the automatic pop-up bars on some new 90k Bimmers and Porsches wouldn't guarantee no contact w/the ground in a vert. Bottom line: if someone is that concerned about a rollover, they either need to buy one of the aforesaid cars (e.g., 6 series vert., 911 cab.) AND always wear a helmet AND install 4 point race harnesses, OR just go with a coupe and forget about it.

And, yes, the front "A" pillars of the roadster were designed to bear the weight of the car. Even so, I'll still be ducking if my roadster rolls, LOL.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

slick, if you want a car w/rollbars that will keep your head from hitting the ground against the force of gravity with a std. 3 pt harness and the car upside down, the bars would need to be about 3 ft. above the tonneau. My 5'2" wife rolled a hardtop 4 door sedan once, while wearing her seatbelt, and her head still hit the roof of the car.

Even the automatic pop-up bars on some new 90k Bimmers and Porsches wouldn't guarantee no contact w/the ground in a vert. Bottom line: if someone is that concerned about a rollover, they either need to buy one of the aforesaid cars (e.g., 6 series vert., 911 cab.) AND always wear a helmet AND install 4 point race harnesses, OR just go with a coupe and forget about it.

And, yes, the front "A" pillars of the roadster were designed to bear the weight of the car. Even so, I'll still be ducking if my roadster rolls, LOL.
Ehh...I don't drive in a manner that would cause me to roll over so I think I'm ok. LOL
I get what you mean...when you're upside down you can slip right out of a 3 pt. seatbelt. Oh well...duck and roll. Haha
Old 06-22-2005, 06:33 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL ....Quick duck!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Paul_BB_Guy

Ehh...I don't drive in a manner that would cause me to roll over so I think I'm ok. LOL
If you're on a track though, anything can happen (not your fault). Other driver errors, oil on the track, etc. etc.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by Paul_BB_Guy
If you're on a track though, anything can happen (not your fault). Other driver errors, oil on the track, etc. etc.
I don't track...LOL
Are you like...trying to come up with ways I could die in an accident? Haha...that's evil! LOL
I don't think they would let me track even if I wanted to...don't you have to be 18..or 21...or some certain age?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Darthvol

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
I don't track...LOL
Are you like...trying to come up with ways I could die in an accident? Haha...that's evil! LOL
I don't think they would let me track even if I wanted to...don't you have to be 18..or 21...or some certain age?
Often, yes, but I think some race or performance street driving schools at tracks are offering a special class for young people (I'm now 37, but I do remember what it was like being 21, and voting or selective service status nothwithstanding, I was still a "young person," at least from a mental maturity standpoint, into my early 20s; that said, I'd sure like to be a "young person" again *sigh*).

But I digress. Point is, I saw on one of the news magazine shows (Dateline, 20/20, or 60 Minutes--otherwise known as 58 minutes of liberal reporting, followed by 2 minutes of griping by a cranky old curmudgeon about little things that annoy him), and supposedly, new studies show that young people, including teenagers, have far fewer accidents and are actually more responsible drivers if they have taken a performance driving class.

The theory is that if teens know more about how to control their cars at all times, and can learn what and how quickly things can go wrong in a car, they will be better at accident avoidance and defensive driving. I don't remember the names of any of the schools, but slick, w/u in SOCAL, you've almost gotta be near one of 'em.

(and BTW, greatly prefer the new avatar; smilies are keeewl!)
Old 06-24-2005, 03:02 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

I don't remember the names of any of the schools, but slick, w/u in SOCAL, you've almost gotta be near one of 'em.
I'm not in so-cal. I made that name in like 5th grade. LOL
I use it for everything still. It was based on the santacruz skateboard company.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Darthvol

D'oh! My bad. Guess I saw the handle and just didn't read any further.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

D'oh! My bad. Guess I saw the handle and just didn't read any further.
LOL
Idiot! Gosh!