Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

My 04 top is getting replaced under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 03:28 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got it back and the top has been entirely replaced. I also got the clutch popping fixed as well as some rattle caused by my tint which will not be covered next time. Should I get the extended warranty for the top and which package? I just want the top covered and the minor bugs. I may go FI so I can care less about that for now.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:30 PM
Penderwheels

Update. Naples Nissan discovered that the two problem brackets were installed backwards (left to right, etc.). They repaired under warranty.

However, the West Michigan dealer who made the mistake wants to fix the 2 gouges in the tonneau themselves (The local body shop usede by Naples Nissan quoted $507.00). That means that I wait 6 months with a gouged tonneau. I'll be calling them on Monday and "negotiating". Figure they owe me a few free oil changes, etc as compensation.

If you have the top replaced, warn the dealer about the fact that these 2 struts can be installed backwards and gouge the tonneau. The struts (gas cylinders) I'm talking about are the ones that attach to the top bow alongside the drivers ( or passengers) shoulder and extend to the rear.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:46 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by Penderwheels
Update. Naples Nissan discovered that the two problem brackets were installed backwards (left to right, etc.). They repaired under warranty.

However, the West Michigan dealer who made the mistake wants to fix the 2 gouges in the tonneau themselves (The local body shop usede by Naples Nissan quoted $507.00). That means that I wait 6 months with a gouged tonneau. I'll be calling them on Monday and "negotiating". Figure they owe me a few free oil changes, etc as compensation.

If you have the top replaced, warn the dealer about the fact that these 2 struts can be installed backwards and gouge the tonneau. The struts (gas cylinders) I'm talking about are the ones that attach to the top bow alongside the drivers ( or passengers) shoulder and extend to the rear.
I wonder if I had like this since I bought the car off someone or maybe when the tint was put on. I notice the top has a lot more slack and less stretching like before. Also I love the way my gears shift now since they updated the tranny. There's a lot less buckling and jerking now and more fun on drivng.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:00 PM
CAN0802

I am missing my Z right now, as it is in the shop for the new top. I got a mighty Sentra for a rental, and let me tell you, I think I could rip the Z a new one with this car. Floor it in a slick puddle of water, and the tires barely chirp, full throttle around a corner, and the tires stay planted.

I had better have my Z back tomorrow, this ain't cuttin it.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:42 PM
CAN0802

Charlie, FYI, I just got my car back, with top #3 on it now. I think this one on first inspection is much smoother, but it does appear to be the same old design, and I fully expect to be writing here again in another 5-6 months that I am in need of another one. Now I know that these tops are covered for 12K miles (none of mine have lasted that long yet), but I am curious about something......could I file a lemon law claim if it fails again prematurely by coming apart at the seams? (3 strikes)
Old 11-22-2005, 05:26 PM
FairladyZX

CAN0802^^^, Did you say the tops only covered for 12K Miles? I haven't replace my yet since I bought it. I hope they will cover it before I reach 36K miles.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:04 AM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by FairladyZX
CAN0802^^^, Did you say the tops only covered for 12K Miles? I haven't replace my yet since I bought it. I hope they will cover it before I reach 36K miles.
Yes, I said that, but it is in a grey area of coverage. Nissan should cover the top for as long as your warranty in in effect, provided that the top fails due to a defect in quality (such as the separation isue). I just wrote what it stated in the back of my paperwork from the dealer that all installed parts are warranted for 12K miles from the time they are installed. Seeing as my car is still under warranty, and will be up to the 100K mark, I fully expect them to replace the top each and every time it fails. The 12K remark is more for those outside of the warranty period, and have a top that was replaced fail in that 12K mile timeframe. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:34 PM
FairladyZX

Great info. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2005, 03:31 PM
maxpowers

I have a question...but maybe I am dreaming here. Let say theoretically I get my top replaced a second time with 3 months left in my warranty. Is my new top then covered for another 12 months? Or is the 12 month warranty on replacement part only valid if I bought it (as opposed to a warranty replacment).

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 PM
maxpowers

Just to clarify, I meant 12 months in the context that replacement parts are covered for 12 months or 12K miles.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:49 PM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I have a question...but maybe I am dreaming here. Let say theoretically I get my top replaced a second time with 3 months left in my warranty. Is my new top then covered for another 12 months? Or is the 12 month warranty on replacement part only valid if I bought it (as opposed to a warranty replacment).

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.
It should be. If your warranty expired, and they replaced the top at say 35K miles, it should go up to 47K miles. Personally, I think that if they replace it, since it is new, they should warrant it as long as the original warranty (not to include extended warranties, let's be serious here).
Old 01-30-2006, 09:28 PM
XtaZee

Extended warranty from Nissan will not cover the convertible top. If you have issues with your top, be sure to fix them before the factory warranty expires.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:18 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by xtazee
Extended warranty from Nissan will not cover the convertible top. If you have issues with your top, be sure to fix them before the factory warranty expires.
Yikes good to know as I was going to ask about that but didn't want to sound like some stupid noob. I guess 6000 more miles till FI.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:37 AM
XtaZee

From the Gold Preffered coverage agreement which you can view here.-

http://www.nissanusa.com/m/pdf/secur...overageMfr.pdf

Last edited by XtaZee; 01-31-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:20 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I guess that reinforces me not to get it.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:20 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I guess that reinforces me not to get it.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:49 PM
CAN0802

Maybe so, but a defective part, regardless of if it is or is not covered under warranty has to be replaced. If it wears out, that is another thing, but tops should last around 100K miles or more.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:29 AM
stonecrd

I just took mine in and I have 15,000mi and its about 18mos old. They took a look and ordered a new top, no hassle at all. I would expect that Nissan Corp is making this easy so that the dealers have no problems justfying getting paid back so its more money in their pockets.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
FloridaBoy

As a prospective buyer, this is HUGE to me... dang it, I am so dissappointed ---as I was seriously considering the 350ZR---but thankful I read this thread. Guess I will be getting a BMW Z4 3.0. I want to thank all of you for your comments and I hope Nissan gets this mess cleared up for everyone. This is a great forum.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy
As a prospective buyer, this is HUGE to me... dang it, I am so dissappointed ---as I was seriously considering the 350ZR---but thankful I read this thread. Guess I will be getting a BMW Z4 3.0. I want to thank all of you for your comments and I hope Nissan gets this mess cleared up for everyone. This is a great forum.
Having owned several verts before this one, I have some food for thought on the Z4. Look at where the top stores when it is down. There is nothign covering the mechanicals, and over time, dust can and will build up on there. Given more time, that will lead to paint flaking, rust and/or mechanical damage. You can try cleaning it, but you'll never get what gets into the joints. There are aftermarket flaps that velcro in place, but they really don't cover the open areas that well. another thing to consider is if you have the top down a lot (i.e. really use it as a vert), the front part of the top will fade a bit more than the rest. As for maintenance, I won't get into that, but will advise selling it or trading it in before the 50K warranty expires.
Just something to think about.

Quick Reply: My 04 top is getting replaced under warranty