Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

My 04 top is getting replaced under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 01:13 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 04 top is getting replaced under warranty

I know some of you have had the top replace on your 04s. I noticed 2 pinholes recently and took it to the dealer and they are now awaiting the parts. What is the difference between the 2nd gen tops besides the double stitching? The holes are near the rear window and I think it might have been from stretching the top from opening and closing. I'll keep y'all updated.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:06 PM
CAN0802

I hear you charlie, I finally took mine in yesterday, and I should be getting it replaced next week. The dealership only needs to get the parts in and schedule some time with their top shop they work with. I went so far as to tell them how to keep these tops from coming apart at the seams, and they did seem interested in what I had to say, but I don't know if they will get anywhere with it. God forbid they save money on replacing every top out on the market.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:12 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I think they will have to since we have gen 1 tops. Well at least an 04 roadster was revised and I can't imagine anything else that could go wrong. (knock on wood) I would feel bad for anyone who's warranty ended because it won't be cheap AFAIK.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:39 PM
FairladyZX

Hey Charlie. Which dealer are you taking your ZR for the top replacement? My have a 1 inch visible tear from outside but it's not leaking any water in yet so far. If I do a replacement I prolly ask the dealer for a blue one instead.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:12 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Nissan Wondries in Alhambra. They seemed pretty nice so far. Mine was miniscule unless you look at it with a light from the outside.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:33 PM
topdown-z

Smile Now on My 3rd Top

Just to let you know, I purchased my 04' Roadster in August of 03' and found several pin holes in the right rear portion of the top in late March of 2004. I took it to my dealer and they replaced the "entire" top including all of the hardware, etc... This replacement top was the "new" and "improved" stiched design. All was fine until about a month ago when the right rear seam that I think is heat sealed started to come apart. There are pictures of this issue on this forum and "all" of the pictures depict the same separation. The problem seems to involve the "heat sealed?" seams and not the stiched ones as the only stiched seams are along the sides and "NOT" across the back. Well anyway, I took the new issue to the dealer and he looked at it for about 5 seconds and said "yea, we are aware of the problem and will order you a new top." The new top (only the material portion and not the hardware) arrived and was installed on 11/2/05 by a top shop that the dealer subbed out to. The new top looks perfect and the installation was also perfect. The only problem is that this new top looks just like the 1st one that they replaced. I can see no improvements or changes. The guy that installed it also said that he did not see any changes from the 1st one either. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed..............
Old 11-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Penderwheels

The top on my 04.5 was replaced 10/4 by my dealer in West Michigan. It had a hole about 3/8" diameter on tha pass side just below the seam about 3" at a 2 o-clock position from the rear window. It was not in a seam - just below it.

Now, here I am in Naples, FL for the winter and I discover gouge marks in the tonneau headrest on both sides. Looking from the inside, I see that there are struts, braces or whaterver you want to call them that extend to the rearmost crossbrace that are scraping aginst the tonneau. Sent a digital pic to the dealer and they "kind-of" admit it's their fault (We all know damn well that they did it but won't say so 'till they see it. I can't get them to fix it it till I get there in the spring. I suspedt that it will include repainting the entire tonneau.

So.... if you get your top replaced, look from the inside and make sure that these braces aren't touching the tonneau headrest,
Old 11-10-2005, 12:01 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Can you show us the pics? I noticed the skeleton frame protruding more and more on the toneau from ownership. It was pushed so much you can see the anatomy of the frame which I think will cause problems.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Penderwheels

Default Pics of Tonneau damage

Sorry. I tried but my pics were about 3X too large to be uploaded. (The website rejected me )

You can see the braces that are my problem by looking behind either seat. You should see them just above the humped part of the tonneau. In a "good" installation, I assume they just clear the humps. In my case, they touch them.

I don't have any before pics of the outside. However, I noticed that on the drivers side (the side opposite the hole) there was wrinkling to the left of the rear window. Don't really recall actually seeing any bows bulging
Old 11-10-2005, 02:53 PM
CAN0802

No Charlie, mine is an 05, purchased in Dec 04, and it is the second generation top, replaced by yet another gen 2 top, and looks to be in for round 3. I have a sneaky notion that unless they make a new top from cloth (I know, it will fade faster), and have a stitch along that border where it keeps on separating, this might be a job every 10K miles or so. Why won't Nissan listen to me on how to fix the problem? I don't want money from the ordeal, and I could care less if they make millions off of it (not likely), I simply want a top that won't tear like it does at that seam.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:51 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

If I'm not mistaken this will be covered for 75k miles?
Old 11-11-2005, 07:17 AM
maxpowers

I am on my second top as well, and I can see my seem starting to come apart at back corner where yours is coming apart.

I want to take it in, but whats the point of replacing it if its going to happen again. I guess I will wait one day before my warranty runs out.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:36 PM
CAN0802

I'm not going to let them get away with a faulty product by waiting until my warranty goes out to replace it, I am going to make them do it until they get it right. I paid a few dollars to get the car I wanted, now they are going to pay to ensure my car is what was promised. Don't get me wrong, other than the top, I love this car, but it is getting old having to replace the top every 10K miles at the rate I am at now.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:39 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Can you provide a picture where the pin holes were found? How did you notice it?
Old 11-13-2005, 06:55 PM
damnyankee38

Can anybody post pics? I have an 04 w/19k on it, and haven't seen what you are talking about.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:34 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Sorry fellas my brother took my camera and won't return from vacation in time for me to take a snapshot. If you notice any irreglarities from the outside, go inside on a sunny day and see if light passes through. If it does welcome to the F'up top club. Nissan will send mine to an upholestery shop and hopefully I get it back very very soon...
Old 11-13-2005, 10:31 PM
FairladyZX

Do they give u a loan car while your ZR is at the dealer for the F'up? Just wondering.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:39 AM
maxpowers

There are some pictures around here somewhere search the Roadster forum.

Originally Posted by damnyankee38
Can anybody post pics? I have an 04 w/19k on it, and haven't seen what you are talking about.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:03 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by FairladyZX
Do they give u a loan car while your ZR is at the dealer for the F'up? Just wondering.
No because we don't have Infinitis. The service guy wanted me to do a gold package service BS lubricating door hinges and putting in dino oil for 299 and it comes with an .88 cents a day rental car.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:26 AM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
No because we don't have Infinitis. The service guy wanted me to do a gold package service BS lubricating door hinges and putting in dino oil for 299 and it comes with an .88 cents a day rental car.
Fight them and press the issue. It is not your fault that you are out of use of your vehicle, it is Nissan's. Had they made it right to begin with, you would have use of your car, and there would not be an issue, thus it is their responsibility to get you a rental during the time that they have your car replacing the top. This is the second replacement for me, and I am getting a rental, on Nissan's dime.

Quick Reply: My 04 top is getting replaced under warranty