Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

XM Radio for the Z convertible????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 04:56 AM
ZZweet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XM Radio for the Z convertible????

WHen I bought my Z the dealer told me that I could add XM to the existing radio because it was XM ready. But now that I have bought the car the dealer is telling me that Nissan does not make a wiring harness for the convertibles. The dealer says that if we add it to the radio without an approved Nissan harness then the warranty on the car will be void. I guess I am not auto savy but if you can run the harness over the top of a coupe and it works then why can't you run it through the floor of a convertible with the same wiring harness used for the Z coupe and make it work? My car has the full meal deal Bose radio system and a navigation system - so why can't it be done (It can be done on the Vette). The dealer has offered to buy me an external one and mount it to the dash but I think not!! Can anyone with Z auto knowledge try to explain this to me.....
Old 01-27-2006, 06:01 AM
lamaz

That particular subject has been hit more times than (insert slutty name here). Anyways here is the short story:

From 2004.5 on the Bose system, the wiring is there and the head unit will accept and display information from the OEM nissan satellite receivers (XM or Sirius check out Grubbs). You will need to purchase the receiver, antenna and pre-harness. The problem is where to put the antenna, on the coupe it goes on the roof.

Check it out in detail:
https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/118938-done-installed-oem-sirius-sat-in-05-zr.html

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?searchid=877702

-LamaZ

Last edited by lamaz; 01-27-2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:54 AM
badgerZ

Default '06 Roadster and XM

I will be taking delivery of my '06 GT Roadster on Friday. The lit and web site say both the coupe and roadster have XM-ready Bose systems and that the receiver and antenna are options for both. My dealer says he can do it (get and install the receiver and antenna) for a ton of money, but I'm probably going that way. Dealer is checking on my questions re antenna and receiver placement, but he says will be same as if installed at factory (albeit several hundred bucks more expensive).

I am VERY interested in hearing from anybody who has this on the roadster and will post once I find out more as well.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:16 PM
archz

I too just got the 06 Roadster with the upgraded Bose system and navigation. I didn't even know it was satellite ready!! I knew it had the MP3 player, anyway i had best buy install Siruis Sportsters Replay unfortunately to the FM modulator and the reception sucks, so now I just purchased the AAI-NIS2 which should do the trick.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:29 PM
badgerZ

archz-

I didn't know about AAI-NIS2, so we're even sort of. Are you using the Sportster with the AAI-NIS2? Where is the Sportster located and where did you put your antenna? If I go OEM, I wonder if I can use the AAI-NIS2 for my iPod. If anybody has a clue, I'd be very interested in finding out. Once I see how things work with the OEM unit, I'll post as it appears that nobody has posted on this yet.

I have a Delphi Skyfi for my RSX and S2000 (both will be leaving soon) and the FM modulator is outstanding. Seriously, it could not be better. The FM modulator in my Transpod is ok, but only ok.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:07 PM
nissan350zfan

Hey guys,
This has been covered in detail on numerous threads on this site. Check out this one:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118938

in which I detail my OEM install in a roadster with the antenna in the GPS antena location - scroll though the messages and you will see a diagram of the dash including the location of the GPS antenna.

Since my original posting, I have heard of others who have installed a mini SAT antenna in that location IN ADDITION to the GPS antenna, so this might be an option for people with NAV.

BTW, I would not have the dealer install this in a roadster - they and their techs are too influenced by Nissan propaganda on what can and cannot be done. I purchased from Grubbs and had my local installer do the install based on my instructions - everything went fine - my neighbour is a local Nissan dealer who gave me a great deal on my 350ZR, - even he admits that Nissan does not provide adequate information regarding SAT in a Roadster.

In any event, I can attest to the fact that the reception with this installation is great even as far north as Edmonton, Alberta!

Cheers
Old 01-31-2006, 07:39 PM
RANDY350Z

This will not void your warranty! Worse case scenerio, take it to another dealer for service --if asked say it came with the car! Any way, based on the info, you should be able to connect one to the radio-I doubt Nissan partnered up and had a seperate radio just for the roadsters. Cructchfield offers a smaller ant. If you go aftermarket, My Eclipse antenna is the size of the GPS ant. looks cool though!
Old 02-04-2006, 03:34 PM
badgerZ

I just picked up my '06 IF GT roadster yesterday. I immediately drove to the nearest XM radio installer and had a little chat. He suggested a very elegant solution. I need to wait for some of the parts to come in that aren't available until March, but it will all be worth it. I'll provide details in a later message when I have everything next to me, but in essence I will not be making any cosmetic changes at all to the car with two very small exceptions noted below. I will not be displaying station info via the head unit, but instead will be using the Nav screen for XM and other stuff. In addition to that interface, I'm getting an Alpine hub that will allow me to connect a variety of sources. I'm getting XM, iPod and Bluetooth pieces to connect to that. There will be a switch next to the two seat heater switches to switch the Nav screen from "normal" to whatever the hub has selected or a menu for doing same. A remote will be used to guide throught the menu and the XM/iPod/Bluetooth source options.. The XM antenna will be installed inside on the dash in the corner near the serial number on the driver's side and will be nearly invisible.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:50 PM
lamaz

Originally Posted by nissan350zfan
Hey guys,
This has been covered in detail on numerous threads on this site. Check out this one:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118938

in which I detail my OEM install in a roadster with the antenna in the GPS antena location - scroll though the messages and you will see a diagram of the dash including the location of the GPS antenna.

Since my original posting, I have heard of others who have installed a mini SAT antenna in that location IN ADDITION to the GPS antenna, so this might be an option for people with NAV.

BTW, I would not have the dealer install this in a roadster - they and their techs are too influenced by Nissan propaganda on what can and cannot be done. I purchased from Grubbs and had my local installer do the install based on my instructions - everything went fine - my neighbour is a local Nissan dealer who gave me a great deal on my 350ZR, - even he admits that Nissan does not provide adequate information regarding SAT in a Roadster.

In any event, I can attest to the fact that the reception with this installation is great even as far north as Edmonton, Alberta!

Cheers
I quoted the same thread as soon as it came up. Then again, nobody wants to read through 17 pages of info.

-LamaZ
Old 02-05-2006, 12:05 AM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by lamaz
I quoted the same thread as soon as it came up. Then again, nobody wants to read through 17 pages of info.

-LamaZ
In summary, guy asks a question, someone types erroneous info, we call him out and correct him, and finally tell them it can be done and it works.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:42 AM
archz

Originally Posted by badgerZ
archz-

I didn't know about AAI-NIS2, so we're even sort of. Are you using the Sportster with the AAI-NIS2? Where is the Sportster located and where did you put your antenna? If I go OEM, I wonder if I can use the AAI-NIS2 for my iPod. If anybody has a clue, I'd be very interested in finding out. Once I see how things work with the OEM unit, I'll post as it appears that nobody has posted on this yet.

I have a Delphi Skyfi for my RSX and S2000 (both will be leaving soon) and the FM modulator is outstanding. Seriously, it could not be better. The FM modulator in my Transpod is ok, but only ok.
I have the Sportster mounted to the left side of the dashboard, very convenient for the controls, I'm still waiting on the AAI-NIS2 to come in. it's back ordered until Mid Feb. In the meantime, I found another FM station that is temporarily doing the trick until I can get it installed. The anttena is in the middle of my dashboard just above the gauges.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
zrex

I did not want to spend a huge amount of money or, more importantly, did not want to cut anything or mount an exterior antennae. I put a Sanyo plug and play with the fm modulator in the center console, ran the antennae (sp?) through the back of the console and around to the dash, where I just sat the antennae.
The downside is I do get occasional interferance and, when I'm using it, the power cord runs back to the aux jack and is visible. Upside, it took me about ten minutes to put in, no damage to the car, and cost $75 from Wallmart (actually, I already had it from my wife's old car).
As to the intereferance, they do make a box that filters out other channels when the sat is on. I put it in my other car (along with an Audiovox plug and play) and, while the sound quality isn't the best, there is no interferance.

I have sirius, but the same can be done with xm.