Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

BMW Z4 vs. Nissan 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
jdg345

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy
I hear you, I'm always opening the 38 inch sunroof on my Limited Edition Sequoia and putting the windows down...
what does that tell you?
Awww ... if you like that, you'll love the ragtop! I tried using a sunroof as a replacement and it wasn't quite the same ...

I considered the S2000, Z4, Boxster S, and 350zr and went with the ZR.

The S2000 was, imo, more fun to drive, but the 350z was much more comfortable. It was simply nicer on the insider and had more creature comforts. The S2000 was a great go-kart though!

The Z4 was okay, but I found it almost too 'pretty' ... and I didn't like the narrowness. Nor did I like how the top stowed.

The Boxster S ... well ... if it was free, that's what I'd had gotten. I just couldn't justify all the extra $$ for the S ... I could have purchased a 350z and a 350zr for the price of one Boxster S after the options were added.

The 350zr ... the tonneau is just awesome, the look with the top down is just awesome, the ride is awesome ... and it's just the right amount of 'pretty' on the inside. A lot of people (including myself) don't like the look of the car as much with the top up ... but ... why do I want the top up in a convertible?

And, as you know, the power and handling are there.

Of course, keep in mind that you're posting on a 350z Forum, so ... chances are ... most people here are going to lean towards the Nissan.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:08 PM
FloridaBoy

Originally Posted by jdg345
Of course, keep in mind that you're posting on a 350z Forum, so ... chances are ... most people here are going to lean towards the Nissan.
And well they should my friend!
Of course, I am also running a similar thread over on a Z4 forum!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:29 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

And well they should my friend!
Of course, I am also running a similar thread over on a Z4 forum!
Can you post it for my curious insecurity?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
defex

Hey, good thing I'm here! I've owned both BMW's and a 350z. I will honestly tell you if you drive this car often go with the BMW. The 350z interior leaves ALOT to be desired. It's also ALOT less comfortable than the Z4. Not to mention BMW dealerships treat you alot better than Nissan dealerships who don't care about you anymore than they do a Sentra owner. The quality of materials used in the Z4 FAR surpass those of the Z. The Z is a bargain sports car. The Z4 is not. It might not be AS powerful(though close enough to enjoy) but driving it everyday you will appreciate what it brings to the table ALOT more unless you plan on racing from redlight to redlight. Trust me. I'm speaking from experience.

PS The new 2006 Z4 has been upgraded in HP to 255 and is now capable of running in the 13's stock with ease. Just incase you have any option of buying new.. might want to check that out. They're SWEET! Not to mention the new M Roadster version with the M3 motor in it.. mmmmm

Sorry guys no offense to the Z. I loved it.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:55 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Looks like I will need the Vortech sooner.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:32 PM
ZON

Get the Z4. If reliability is your main issue then I hope you get the Z4. Reliability, I believe, is better in the 350zr but I like people to get 350z because they love it, need it, want it because it's a "Z" and there is just no debate in my mind about it. So please get the Z4, I don't hate them but I do think it's fugly, but just get that one & be done with it.

Yeah i'm kidding, kinda, but when you pick up your beautiful 350zr, because you know it's the better choice, please love it, need it, drive it, mod it, post here about it. And welcome to this community, Sir. I bet your a silver man, no?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 PM
imseksy

IMO the z4 looks like a shoe...
Old 02-08-2006, 02:05 PM
FloridaBoy

You guys are no help at all. I still love both cars.
Hey, maybe that's the answer...?
Old 02-08-2006, 04:50 PM
jdg345

If you love them both, go with the lower payment ...
Old 02-08-2006, 05:10 PM
djbit

Go drive both and choose what best suits you. All this research and BS won't help you. Be your own judge.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:26 PM
FloridaBoy

Originally Posted by djbit
Go drive both and choose what best suits you. All this research and BS won't help you. Be your own judge.
Uhhh, yeah... I have driven them both, but I've got about 30 days before I pull the trigger so until then I'm all ears.
Actually, I have found the research to be very helpful, even if a few of the posts aren't.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:18 PM
ZON

Uhhh, yeah... I have driven them both, but I've got about 30 days before I pull the trigger so until then I'm all ears.
Actually, I have found the research to be very helpful, even if a few of the posts aren't.

Sorry... which one are you enthused with more? Which one is easier on your eyes. I mean if all your worried about is reliability, which is important don't get me wrong, then I don't know what to tell you except, and I am not knowing about this, but I tend to think the nissan Z is the more reliable one. However, I have had my tranny replaced. There have been many trannies replaced by many people here. I replaced it once on warrenty and now it is very good. I had my tire feathering problem fixed once and now it is fine. Other than that things are fine and I beat on it, 45,000 miles and it is a low vin I bought new in Nov. 02.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:49 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Although the BMW has a longer warranty and a more pleasant dealership, Nissan would be the more reliable one in the long run. Both motors can last over 200k miles but I would bet on Nissan as far as parts like starter, fans, heater and A/C, waterpump, and most of all electronics. If you're going to lease it get the BMW. If you plan on buying and modding then the Z. Both will still be fun and enjoyable cars 10 years later and beyond.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:43 AM
jdg345

Originally Posted by ZON
Sorry... which one are you enthused with more? Which one is easier on your eyes. I mean if all your worried about is reliability, which is important don't get me wrong, then I don't know what to tell you except, and I am not knowing about this, but I tend to think the nissan Z is the more reliable one. However, I have had my tranny replaced. There have been many trannies replaced by many people here. I replaced it once on warrenty and now it is very good. I had my tire feathering problem fixed once and now it is fine. Other than that things are fine and I beat on it, 45,000 miles and it is a low vin I bought new in Nov. 02.

Good luck.
FWIW, many of the issues you mentioned (tire feathering, tranny) plus a few things you didn't (like window streaks, etc) were probably more issues to be chalked up to a first year production release than anything else. It's the price one pays for having it 'first' I suppose. Many first year cars have similar issues which are resolved within the first couple of years (1-2 usually). That's one of the primary reasons I waited until the 2005's were out to purchase.

It's true of just about every manufacturer, even BMW. Look at all the issues they had with the new [and improved] 5-Series a few years back?

While there still might be a tranny issue, or a top issue, or a radiator issue in MY05+, these are probably isolated incidents and you're probably going to see a higher incident of complaints on a forum which isn't truely a representative slice of the pie for quite a few reasons: Primarily because there are a lot of people that own these cars and don't have internet, or don't use this forum and use another one. Something else to consider is that if people post things like, "Hi, my car doesn't have a problem", people will jump up and down on their heads with IBTL, or SPAM, or any number of nasty belittling comments. Fact is, most people come to a forum to post regarding a problem or a question they are having ... not just to say everything is fine. If everything was fine, they'd be out driving their cars.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:10 PM
FloridaBoy

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
Although the BMW has a longer warranty and a more pleasant dealership, Nissan would be the more reliable one in the long run. Both motors can last over 200k miles but I would bet on Nissan as far as parts like starter, fans, heater and A/C, waterpump, and most of all electronics. If you're going to lease it get the BMW. If you plan on buying and modding then the Z. Both will still be fun and enjoyable cars 10 years later and beyond.
Hmmm, you know, a few months ago I would have agreed with this post totally; I have had such great runs with my Toyotas, when I first looked into this I figured the Nissan as a Japanese engineered machine would dominate in reliabilty... but after a fair amount of research, I'm not so sure now.

I was amazed when I checked the Consumer Reports charts to find that two of the most UN-reliable vehicles for 2005 were the Nissan Armada and the Nissan Quest (!)
I'm no longer convinced Nissan has its s**t together. The one glaring thing that seems to come up way too often is the poor dealer service.

With the BMW, I assumed average reliability, and true enough some of their models are having big problems also. But the Nissan problems really surprised me... it's becoming clear that Nissan is nowhere near Toyota or Honda's reliabilty record. As a potential new buyer, it's an quite eye opener.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 02-12-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:25 AM
tractng

FloridaBoy,

With BMW, you better have warranty. My brother cries everytime when he brings his car in for repair. Everything doubles in price and this is a fact.

Tony
Old 02-14-2006, 12:55 PM
ckinwong

Default Japanese engineered machine

Z is the only Nissan (excluding Infiniti) sold in the US that is still being made in Japan. Armada and Quest were both engineered in California and built in Tennessee.

Hmmm, you know, a few months ago I would have agreed with this post totally; I have had such great runs with my Toyotas, when I first looked into this I figured the Nissan as a Japanese engineered machine would dominate in reliabilty... but after a fair amount of research, I'm not so sure now.

I was amazed when I checked the Consumer Reports charts to find that two of the most UN-reliable vehicles for 2005 were the Nissan Armada and the Nissan Quest (!)
I'm no longer convinced Nissan has its s**t together. The one glaring thing that seems to come up way too often is the poor dealer service.

With the BMW, I assumed average reliability, and true enough some of their models are having big problems also. But the Nissan problems really surprised me... it's becoming clear that Nissan is nowhere near Toyota or Honda's reliabilty record. As a potential new buyer, it's an quite eye opener.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:19 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

So is X3 and X5.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:50 AM
ckinwong

So are the Canolina built Z3 and Z4 8-)

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
So is X3 and X5.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:07 PM
FairladyZX

Why settle for a low end bimmer when u can have a high end nissan ZR for about the same price. I just want a simple sports car without luxury written all over it.

Quick Reply: BMW Z4 vs. Nissan 350Z