350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

BMW Z4 vs. Nissan 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:59 PM
FloridaBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW Z4 vs. Nissan 350Z

Greetings, first post here.
Getting serious about a sports car, finally went out this weekend and test drove both of these convertibles and now I am torn. I will be buying a 2004 pre-owned either way, just to save the hit on depreciation and avoid financing. This will be a daily driver in good weather, have a Limited Edition Sequoia for the bad days and towing. Commute to the office is about 40 miles round trip, 4 days a week. All that aside; I am just torn with the design of these two beauties. My 17 yr old son loves the BMW (read idol) but I have had such good reliability from the Japanese cars, it's hard for me to buy anything else. On the other hand I've always wanted a BMW 2 seater, it's a great car. My biggest concerns with it would be the windshield post blocks my view a bit and the ugly gaps on the side of the tonneau cover when the top is down. The 350Z is in my opinion more car in many ways, but of course does not have the BMW's class or heritage. I guess I need to talk with someone who has both cars... Dang this is tough, any thoughts? Mods if you think this will get more response in another section please move post at your discretion.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Built2shredZ

Which Z4 is it? the 3.0i or the 2.5i? If its the 2.5i I would go with the 350zr, its a lot faster...

If its the 3.0i thats a tough decision then.. the 3.0i is pretty fast... To me the 350zr looks more sporty and the Z4 looks more classy.... Hope that helps <shrug>

Last edited by Built2shredZ; 01-30-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 AM
firulice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would only take the Z4 if it was new. Seems like owning BMW's out of warranty is asking for trouble. Either one is nice though, let us know which way you go!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My biggest concerns with it would be the windshield post blocks my view a bit and the ugly gaps on the side of the tonneau cover when the top is down.
On 350Z, the answer is YES. I don't drive the Z4 for long so i don't know.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by firulice
I would only take the Z4 if it was new. Seems like owning BMW's out of warranty is asking for trouble. Either one is nice though, let us know which way you go!
+1, you won't regret it, especially when that BMW is due for service or anything else!

Last edited by zand02max; 01-31-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:53 AM
TiPIACE

i had a Z4 two summers back. It was one of the very first imported in Aus, 3.0L 6speed, grey with the 18" 5 spoke wheels, orange indicators (BMW didnt have the clears back then). Looked hot, and still does. Great driver's car, but not as sporty as the Z. The build quality, more so quality of interior parts was a huge step backwards from a comparable E46 330Ci convertible, and suspension was way too stiff

it sounded nice, and the engine was more smoother up high than the Anniversary Z i have now. It wasnt as quick against the clock, but it felt quicker when driving it. You got that pinned to back of the seat feeling, you dont get that in the Z.

Re the ugly gaps, good call, i had the same hangup, but i bought from BMW these plastic caps that sit over that area. You have to remove them manually though before putting the roof back up. But its no worse than that ugly toneau shut line on the rear fender of the Z

Z roadster vs Z4, with the roof up the BMW wins hand down. The Z roadster looks hammered with the roof up, with that huge expanse of flat boot lid and dodgy looking soft top
Old 01-31-2006, 11:54 AM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't it we have more room in 350Z compare to Z4?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:43 PM
FloridaBoy

Originally Posted by firulice
Thanks for all your comments, good points made by all. Either vehicle would still have factory warranty since I'll be buying an 04. Actually I guess the BMW would have the edge there, because their basic warranty is 4 yrs/50K miles as opposed to 3 yrs/ 36K. Plus I usually get an extended on all my cars so it's really not an issue other than the hassle of unreliability... I have no patience for it at all.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:46 PM
G Spot

they are pretty similar. Looks are subjective. Some love the look of the Z4, while some hate it. And that's same for the Z roadster (especially with the top up). I presonally like the look of both (with top down).
I was in similar dilema back 2 years ago, but now face a different dilema.
I'll tackle yours first.
Z4 can be had for $10k below sticker if you buy a leftover '05. So, you can find a nicely loaded one for mid-high $30k. And, since it's an '05, you'll get the extended 6-yr/100k mile warranty free of charge. try www.z4um.com and look up the deals on the leftover Z4's. Also, www.edmunds.com shows a dealer gets $5k from BMW, so you can use that to get your $10k off the sticker. It's not that hard. I was offered $12k off the sticker back in Dec of '04. But I passed it up for G35C, that was my mistake.
If you get the '06 Z4, there isn't that much discount, but you get bump in the power and slight model update for the engine and body as well. So, the 2.5 version isn't so bad. Good power and good gas mpg and comparable to the older 3.0 version. And starting price is mid $30k.
So, technically, leftover '05 3.0 Z4, '06 2.5 Z4, and '06 350Z roadster (I'm guessing touring model that goes for $35k invoice price) are all similar price with similar standard safety options and power/performance/reliability.
You won't be disappointed with any one of those above.

Now, my dilema is... The more I read about the Z, the more I like it. I'm very disappointed with avg 20 mpg (same as my previous G35c), but I like everything else, especially the added power and higher rev/tach to 7k rpm.
Considering my last roadster was an s2k, I kinda like the higher rpm redline.
But having STi and G35 as my last 2 vehicles, I'm not sure if I miss the roadster that much.
So, my dilema is... should I get Z Roadster or Z Coupe???
Touring ZR doesn't come with VDC, while Touring Z Coupe does for the manual models.
Since I haven't had a roadster for past 2 years, I don't know if I really miss it, and I'm not sure if the extra $3-3.5k is worth the difference without the VDC.
Also, the ZR looks great with the top down, but with the top up, it looks horrible, while the coupe looks good at all times.
etc., etc., etc...

Good luck with your purchase. Make sure you do your full research for both vehicles.

G
Old 01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
FloridaBoy

Yes my friend good points, but these are nice delimas for us to have, eh?
For me, it's gotta be a convertible; always wanted one and this is the time.
Incidentally I am watching this thread below with keen interest;
as I said before, I have near-zero patience for unreliable parts/products.
I was surprised to see these posts on a Japanese product...
https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadster/152859-my-04-top-is-getting-replaced-under-warranty.html
https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadster/157154-zr-soft-top-separation-problem-poll.html

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 01-31-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:32 PM
MR.OKKKK

my sister has a z4.. honestly i drove the z4 and fell in love with that car.... was bout to get me one also.. but didnt want 2 z4's so i decided to get a bmw330ci convertible but settled with the 05 350zr and im really satisfied.. more of a sportier and it feels better then the z4... although z4 is a nice car....
Old 01-31-2006, 06:01 PM
FloridaBoy

Yes, I agree it feels awesome and looks the same.
But the threads above regarding the failing tops from Nissan are great cause for concern and could be reason enough for me to avoid the 350Z roadster.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Built2shredZ

One thing that is a sure thing is that no car is perfect, you could get a lemon no mater what car you buy....
Old 01-31-2006, 06:18 PM
FloridaBoy

I hear you and agree, but from the look of it my friend, this is not just an isolated lemon thing; it's a nasty design flaw according to members of this forum, showing up in the 04-05 roadster models which is my target build date. And I have seen nothing indicating it's been resolved in 06 models either. This really sux, but I am certainly thankful I came to this site.
The OTHER car I was considering avoids this alltogether; the folding hard top Lexus SC430. Don't get me wrong; I am not happy about finding this achilles heel in the tops... it makes me sick.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Built2shredZ

Not sure what to say, I've had my roadster almost 2 years now and my top is still as good as it was new (shrug)... its a 2004.5 model... Guess it could depend on where you live weather or not the top has problems (shrug)

The Lexus SC430 is pretty sweet, thought about that myself but did not want to spend 50k...
Old 01-31-2006, 06:43 PM
FloridaBoy

Yep, agreed... that sucker is pricey.
I can get one here with 22Kmiles for $40K.
But to be honest I just like the looks of the two Z's better.

I am glad you are not having those problems with the top.
Hopefully others here will say the same... ?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:48 AM
LSRoadster

I too spent a long time looking at both, also looked at the S2000, to me the Z was the most fun to drive with the top down, the exhaust note also sounded the best.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:55 AM
michaeljr6

get the BMW....the Z is horrible

(i don't want too many Z's roaming and becoming the next mustang)
Old 02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
FloridaBoy

Hmmm...
reverse psychology... I don't think they will ever become Mustang popular, my concern is with the current top problems I am reading about, they could become a real headache.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 02-01-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Built2shredZ

Im concerned with engines failing on a airplane but i travel anyways, otherwise I would just waste my life sitting in my bedroom wondering what it would be like

Live life on the edge FloridaBoy

Quick Reply: BMW Z4 vs. Nissan 350Z