Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 02:26 AM
DMONTE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks aftermarket to me.
Old 02-01-2003, 03:27 AM
z461

Haha.. was JUST about to post those from is300.net... Yea, they are aftermarket but this could be what it will look like (or very close).
Old 02-01-2003, 07:13 AM
DrDrilZ

one question, will nissan increase structural rigidity in the factory convert over the coupes? because aftermarket, i doubt they do. and in that pic, it looks like the Z is gonna have a lot of shakes and vibrations. if a sunroof is bad for rigidity, think about what chopping the whole top off does.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:23 AM
cotmfk

I didn't know that chrome rims are a factory option... Cool!

But, more to the point...

I don't think it is the final version of the convetible we will see, because of the way the canvas roof slopes down at the back. It could be a Nissan factory thing, IMO... just in disguise. And it could be a custom job done for that guy who HAS to have everything FIRST! But, it would be silly because he would have blown a lot of extra money for no reason. (Just my take on the situation)
Old 02-01-2003, 08:41 AM
Gendo Ikari

You know what, now that I think of it...it looks like a phone # on the license plate...kind of like an advertisement to the place that did the conversion. Doesn't look like the same # that raceboy posted though.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:40 AM
LowFuel

I think Nissan probably also has their own trucks.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:03 PM
grayfox

Welp, could just get snoopy and call whatever business owns that tow truck and ask them about a redline Z convertible...=)
Old 02-01-2003, 03:12 PM
3rdZ4me

Default I think it's the real McCoy!

I think you have a picture of the first deliveries of the new 350Z Convertible.

Zooming in on the address on the truck I found 1122 N Anaheim, Anaheim CA. Checking businesses in the area, I found two towing companies listed at that address; Anaheim Towing, & Slims Towing. I called them long distance and ask if they remember the car. The guys says - jeez no, we have 20 trucks. I ask him if they happen to do any work for Nissan dealers and he says "Yeah, Nissan of Buena Park."

I called the Nissan dealer and he confirmed it is the new Z convertible. He said it was their 3rd one. I ask him a few more questions, he said they come in five colors right now...Red, PPW (white), Silverstone, Daytona Blue, & Black. He said they come with both automatic and manual transmission and he thought they only came in the Touring model. He said they're running about $32,500 and he has a six month waiting list.

For your calling pleasure....Nissan of Buena Park (714) 739-0800.

Good find team!

3rdZ4me (in Oregon)
Old 02-01-2003, 03:49 PM
3rdZ4me

One of the guys from the other site questioned the crome wheels, saying they weren't standard from the factory. I mentioned that $32,500 seemed to low of a price for a customer job.

So, I called them back a 3rd time and another new car sales guy confirmed it is not a custom job...he said they are getting them direct from the factory and they are one of the very first dealers to get the new convertible and it goes for $32,500.

I also tried calling the rStraman Co number that Raceboy posted. The number is out of service and there's no new listing for them in Costa Mesa. So, no way to discount this info from that angle.

3rdZ4me
Old 02-01-2003, 04:18 PM
rouxeny

This is absolutely not the real thing. Number one, it looks like crap. Number two, the real car has not been released to the public. Why would there be one floating around on a flat bed for everybody to see. Showing off a new car is a very big deal. The first time that we see the convertible will be at a major car show, unless somebody gets some spy pics first.

People will be extremely disapointed if their Z comes with buttons on it.

Again, there is no way this is the real car. Nissan has learned from Scafremon's previous exploits. They'll keep some better security for this one.

No way that the pricing will be $32K for a Touring Convertible. The hard top touring is already about $32, IMPOSSIBLE for a convertible to be LESS!
Old 02-01-2003, 04:29 PM
rjsmit1

Default Re: My take.....

Originally posted by JimmyZ
This IS the factory drop top............the "roof" you see is actually a clever cover.?? If you look closely you'll see how loose it fits especially the back window. My thinking is this: if this IS a custom job who in their right mind would accept this type of quality and pay for it? Secondly why would Nissan bother to disguise the parts of the car which we have already seen? they simply throw a sloppy cover over the factory roof and can transport the car at a much cheaper price......... I've seen other manufacturers do similar things to disguise convertibles. Just my take on this........
Great theory, but why go to the trouble of creating a "snap on" top cover when you can just drive the car into a covered truck and get on with it...
Old 02-01-2003, 05:26 PM
cotmfk

Ha ha! WHat interesting developpments! The salesmen are going to be pissed at being called to a meeting! lol
Old 02-02-2003, 06:22 AM
3rdZ4me

Default Repeating my other post...

JmanZ,

I was hoping you'd jump in, as you for one could push them with details the rest of us don't have. I hadn't seen your update post of the 29th yet, so I didn't know you had posted recent info direct from Nissan.

BTW, business search engines such as superpages.com will allow you to search by category Automobile->Repair->towing and city Anaheim, then you just need to spend a little time looking through the list. Once you find the ZIP you can also search in a radius.

I called the dealer three times last night (Sat) and didn't ask for the same person on purpose so that I could see if I was getting a consistent story from multiple new car sales personnel. I ask them multiple questions - I even specifically ask them whether this was a custom job, how many they had received and they specifically told me they were one of the 1st dealers to get the new car. I posted the phone number so that others could pursue this further (which you did), I was hoping a So Cal forum member could go by and see if this was legit. My only reason for posting another link to the "custom" thread was to get other's to look at the thread with possible new information, not to be the first to post info about the new 350Z Convertible. The original thread shows I was researching info another member had already provided.

I am disappointed the sales team at this dealer was not communicating accurate information on three separate calls. Thanks for pursuing this further, which I was expecting forum members would do. And, I'm glad you jumped in to validate/invalidate with additional information.

3rdZ4me
Old 02-02-2003, 08:20 AM
ChadO

To me it's obviously nonsensical as it wouldn't be transported on a flatbed.

I was driving down the interstate the other day when I passed an 18 wheeler with a trailer thad had a huuuuuuge CS 350Z picture on the side and a huuuuuge Z logo on the back of the trailer.
Old 02-02-2003, 09:19 AM
3rdZ4me

Default humbly taking another try at this...

Dr. Bonz suggested working on the blurred image of the license plate. On my monitor/software about all I could make out was an area code that started with a 7 and the next three digits looked like maybe 328 and the last four were some sort of repeating sequence like 2323 or 2929.

I started with the ZIP code for Anaheim based on the information on the truck and searched for Nissan dealers in a 100-mile radius. On the fifth page of Nissan dealer listings, I found a possible match in Palm Springs.

Palm Springs Nissan
67833 E Palm Canyon Dr
Cathedral City, CA 92234
Tel. (760) 328-2828
Fax (760) 770-7910

I called them this morning and talked to a new car salesman named Jeff. He said this is a custom job, the car is on their showroom floor, it is listed for right at $49,000 and all they did was add the custom convertible and chrome wheels. He did not know who did the custom work but said it thought it was someone "up north" in the LA area.

Since, I no longer trust what sales people tell you on the phone, I'm only representing this as "information." Someone else can validate this from another angle. However, this latest info could explain the chrome wheels and why the car was on a non-standard transport (flatbed) trailer.

3rdZ4me
Old 02-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer that told you they had sold three already didn't happen to sell Hondas too did they? If I remember, doesn't the s2000 sticker for $32,500? Maybe the DumbA** thinks the 350Z is an Stook?
Old 02-02-2003, 10:42 AM
3rdZ4me

Dr. Bonz,

I can't speculate on the sales person. The only things that are safe to conclude at this point are (lol):

1) I do get excited about the new Z

2) Sometimes I'm wrong even when I think I might be right (my wife said she'd be happy to verify this part for you guys).

3) I keep trying...

- 3rdZ4me

Quick Reply: check out this custom job convertible