Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

strange creak when I go over bumps and back up a hill

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:38 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange creak when I go over bumps and back up a hill

I'm not sure if it's coming from the suspension but each time I go over a bump or backup to my driveway up a hill I hear a creak. I think it's coming from the rear driver side possibly the roll bars, door or convertible mechanism. It happens with the top up or down. Anyone get this problem?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:13 AM
OZ_350z

could be body flex with is supposedly normal. Most soft tops do it because of reduced of structural support due to not having a roof.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Built2shredZ

Are you stock or do you have some mods on?? Suspension, Exhuast, etc...

If you do have mods it could be something is just lose and needs to be tighten....

I know on my 2000 prelude I would get like a groaning sound coming from my right rear side of the car when I took corners really hard, turned out to be a loose sway bar.... few twists of the bolt and noise went away..

I've own the car 2 1/2 years and noticed 0 body flex in it....

Last edited by Built2shredZ; 09-03-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Mang

Hi Charlie,
Same with me, but only at very low speed and road conditions (pavement surface) unfortunally not possible to repeat it at dealers place. Dealer checked "a lot" but couldn't verify it, I live 60 miles from his place.
From first day onwards, it occurs on my own driveway so I notice it everytime leaving & coming home.
Learn to live with it after 32.000 kms, doesn't get worse. Noise coming from the drivers door at the lock area.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:52 PM
maxwell72764

Does it sound like styrofoam squeaking? I'll bet it's in your subwoofer compartment. Remove the panel and loosen, and then retighten the nuts for the speaker, then snap the cover back on. Or just have your service guys do it.
Drove me nuts for a couple of hundred miles. Just when pulling into my drive. Dealer couldn't figure it out, but did what I asked and it stopped. No problems since.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:11 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by maxwell72764
Does it sound like styrofoam squeaking? I'll bet it's in your subwoofer compartment. Remove the panel and loosen, and then retighten the nuts for the speaker, then snap the cover back on. Or just have your service guys do it.
Drove me nuts for a couple of hundred miles. Just when pulling into my drive. Dealer couldn't figure it out, but did what I asked and it stopped. No problems since.
I have an enthusiast but I'll look into tightening some nuts and bolts there.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:56 AM
danmar

Red face creaking noise

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
I'm not sure if it's coming from the suspension but each time I go over a bump or backup to my driveway up a hill I hear a creak. I think it's coming from the rear driver side possibly the roll bars, door or convertible mechanism. It happens with the top up or down. Anyone get this problem?
I had this same noise and took my z to the dealer 5 times before the I made the service manager ride with me to hear the noise. When we returned to the dealership he opened the trunk to get to the spare tire he then turned the bolt holding the tire in place and screachhhhhhhhhhhh same sound, he tightend the bolt we rode again and no more noise. I could not believe it was something so simple, I thought it was in the suspension. I have had to tighten it once again in the last six months. May seem strange but it took care of the problem.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:10 PM
jamnew

Originally Posted by maxwell72764
Thanks, I will try this. I have been hearing the styrofoam squeak for 2 weeks and couldn't pin it down.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:24 AM
silverdroptop

i heard the same sound occasionaly my car only has 1900 miles on it whats going on?
Old 10-08-2006, 04:07 PM
fresnel151

Same noise when backing out of the driveway or moving slowly over changes in ground level. To me it sounds like rubber squeaking against a smooth surface - such as the seal between the roof and clamshell.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:10 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Same thing happens to me, especially when going at an angle up or down a steep hill. Sounds like the frame screeching. Dunno!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:07 AM
YBLegal

i hear it on my car too. but it seems normal since it only does it while going over bumps and stuff.. car is more flexible since its vert
Old 04-16-2007, 11:33 AM
NX ZR

k......after trying everything i read, i finally figrd-it out!!!

in my case, it was the little "pointy" metal-rod looking thing...sorry no pics!...that lines-up into a hole as you close the door....(it's located close to the top of the "door-jam?!")....you'd be able to see it as you open the door, it's not common on any other cars, at least i don't think-so, i just never seen anything like it before on anyother cars.....anyways, i found-out that it's not lined-up right with the hole, so i spray some lubricant "WD-40"....."this can start-up a different subject FAST!!... hehehe" and eurika!!....NO MORE NOISE!!

ya try-it and let me know if it works!!...obviously worked for me!!

now that i know what it is, i'm going to find-out if it can be warranteed or if not, i will apply something better than WD-40 to make it last longer.

Last edited by NX ZR; 04-16-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Zbigdoggy

any new updates on this? I swear it sounds like its coming from the rear suspension...

I've also been noticing the clicking noise is back from the rear axle even though I had the TSB done @ 12k. Sometimes it even continues after I get out of the car, weird.

I've also noticed I'm going through my rear tires super fast....

something seems very wrong. more than just a wd 40 fix.