Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Z, IS300 or Acura TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:59 PM
magic626

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z, IS300 or Acura TL?

Hey everyone, I'm totally new to this forum, but I am very interested in getting a 350z convertible. Being a college student, I've managed to save $25,000 over the past 4 years and now I am ready to buy a 2004/2005 car depending on the price. My current car is a 3000gt VR4 and that costs me thousands of dollars just to maintain it over the years. I know that all three have excellent reliability records, with the acura and lexus ahead of the nissan. I'm wondering what you guys think I should get? I wont be expecting kids in the near future (~10 years) and I do want to get 8- 10 years out of my next car.

My question is really simple... Besides gas, oil/ filter changes, and the basic stuff that costs under $200 to maintain, how are you guys with your 350z convertibles? Are they reliable if I take good care of it? I'm not going to mod it or do anything stupid and I will definitely baby it and do all the required services on time like my 3000gt. Will I be scared to start my car in a 2004/5 Z? I seriously need a reliable car that will last a long time and this will be a DAILY DRIVER!!! I've sat in one at the dealership and it feels comfortable enough, but will I be able to drive it to vegas on a monthly basis? I'm definitely going to party a lot and this will be my only means of transportation. Can I get an honest suggestion here? Thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 10:04 PM
Shift_Z33

Do some research please. Z's are quite reliable. I suggest you check out edmunds.com or ther sites that do longterm reviews. Comsumer Reports for example. I dont think the Z would be so popular if it were eating consumers up in repairs.

I have an 03 that's never needed anything other than oil changes after 37k miles. Every car will have some minor flaws though. Now go search and decide what vehicle suits you best. We are not here to make such great financial decisions for other members. If you like the Z, then you should buy one. Buy new if you are worried about maintenance costs or buy one under warranty at least.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:21 PM
magic626

Yeah I've read many of those websites, but the best type of review is the person who drives it on a daily basis and has been through with it in all types of weather and situations. Where else am I going to find a collective group of enthusiasts who are willing to share with me their experiences and hardships (hopefully none) other than forums? Coming from a 3000gt, ALMOST ANY CAR will seem to be reliable, but I think I need to rephrase my original question.. Is the cost to maintain these cars over the years a lot (as in over $500 a year just for repairs and parts?)
Old 03-19-2007, 02:31 AM
sheck4

Default Reliability

Honestly, all these cars are VERY reliable, and maintenance costs low, so you cant go wrong with any of these.
So if you have narrowed your choice down to these 3 cars, base your decision on:

Looks
Performance
Practical (only 2 seats)
Insurance costs

Good luck

Last edited by sheck4; 03-19-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Infern0

Well I hope you don't consider modding a car "doing something stupid"...

It sounds like you're just looking for reliability and comfort. Cars this new in this price range are, for the most part, all going to be reliable or at least still maintain a warantee of sorts.

As far as comfort goes, the 350z is a sports car through and through. While I have no problems with the comfort of the thing, I didn't go into the Nissan dealership to get a 350z because of they way the seats felt. I honestly think that Lexus would be your best bet for comfort. The Acura would most likely follow after that before the Z, but that is just my opinion. If you want a sports car with no modding but has the go...Z is the easy answer.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:39 PM
aznmojo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have two of the cars you mentioned, IS300 and 350z.

It is very hard to live with just a 350z roadster, especially if you are in college. You will be so stressed that someone might key it at a party (and u cant take multiple chicks home unless u stack em on the passenger seat!). And moving out of ur dorm/apartment? Dont even think about it unless u live out of a sleeping bag. The 350z just cannot hold enough to be a DD, u are most likely going to need a second car.

But if i was in ur shoes, i'd go straight for the 350ZR no questions asked... don't even think about the IS lol.

Or maybe, a 4 seat convertible like a used BMW 330ci?

Last edited by aznmojo; 03-19-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the other 2 cars in your comparo (the TL and the 350z).

The Z will survive your Vegas trips, no problem, but wear is wear.

The TL is definitely more luxurious/comfortable and has superior acoustics. However, it's a front-wheel drive car, and it has a large turning radius. 4 doors and a more comfortable interior is advantageous if you are truly considering long-distance drives. TL does not carry the flash of the Z, however.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
virtualbong

Comfortwise, I would say the Acura TL would take it. You're looking at the older model is300 which I didn't think was that great at all.

Do you need room? The TL would have more room but wouldn't feel as sporty as the is300.

I would go with the ZR because you're young and don't have a family. Have fun now before you have to settle down. That's what I'm doing. I have a Auto TSX right now, but I'm 27. I am looking into a ZR or G coupe.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:38 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by virtualbong
I would go with the ZR because you're young and don't have a family. Have fun now before you have to settle down. That's what I'm doing. I have a Auto TSX right now, but I'm 27. I am looking into a ZR or G coupe.
Well THAT'S definitely true. Get the Z now, or else, pretty soon, your next post will be "Thinking About Trading In The Z For A MiniVan For The Kids".
Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 PM
FairladyZX

ZR FTW!!! luxury cars are too boring
Old 03-19-2007, 06:56 PM
Built2shredZ

I would not get a 350z roadster as your only car, especially if your going to be doing a lot of driving, the car has next to no luggage space so you won't be taking much with you on your drives to Vegas..

Bottom line, the Roadster is not a practical car... If I was in your position I would definitely get the IS300 or Acura TL...

That said I do luv my Roadster, but I also have a FX35 for all my practical driving..
Old 03-19-2007, 06:59 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
I would not get a 350z roadster as your only car, especially if your going to be doing a lot of driving, the car has next to no luggage space so you won't be taking much with you on your drives to Vegas..

Bottom line, the Roadster is not a practical car... If I was in your position I would definitely get the IS300 or Acura TL...

That said I do luv my Roadster, but I also have a FX35 for all my practical driving..
+1, I have a backup, my Maxima and SV650S!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
magic626

Thanks for all the honest responses everybody! I'm seriously leaning 90% towards the ZR because of how much it'll match my personality. Like most of you said, I'm young and I better live out that live before I won't get a chance in 10 years. Coming from a 3000gt VR4, this will be a formidable replacement, however, the only problem is that when I had my VR4, it was seriously a hassle to drive around town and basically commuting, but once the weekends rolled on by, nothing made me happier. I'm definitely sure that I will be extremely happy during weekends whether I cruise down PCH or just around town but I'm not too sure about Mon- Thursdays! Even though I loved my GT, there were times that I just didn't want to drive because it gets boring taking 1 other chiq around or buddy. This is so frustrating for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know for sure if I get a big car, I will have a lot of fun when we hit up the clubs and go to vegas, but then again I'm probably only going to be going to vegas once a month and the clubs every week. The other 80% of the time when I'm alone I will love the ZR. Is anyone here using their ZR as daily drivers and can tell me that getting the ZR willl be a great decision so I wont regret it??
Old 03-20-2007, 04:10 AM
Cabot

I just traded an '04 IS300 5sp for my '04 ZR 6 sp. My wife and I were not particular fans of the clutch/manual of the IS300. Nothing wrong with it, but it was kind of cluncky. This ZR is awsome. I'm atleast 15 years older than you, so my comments are that you're too young to need a sedan. The best part of having a 2 seater is that you don't always have to drive going out with your friends.

If you are interested in an IS300. autoworldofspringfield.com has my old abusolute red, black full leather and sunroof IS on ebay for sale with a buy it now price less than $22K. It just turned 25,000 miles.

Like I said, I'd go with the ZR.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its your only car the Zr probably isn't for you. I love mine but I have multiple backup for every hauling occasion in our Element and our millenia. I would get the sporty sedan and give it your personality with some non reliability hampering mods.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:17 AM
sadclown

my gf has a 350z vert and we love it.

But i do agree with one of the posters about being paranoid leaving your car, especially in college. My car got so trashed during my college years, good thing i had an old pathfinder at the time.

We love the vert Z, so much fun to drive.

I would get a vert if you have a good parking spot thats covered, if not, i would get something cheap until you finish college.

I agree with aznmojo, since we got the 350 vert (limited storage) i had to pass on getting an NSX because we cant have 2 cars that cant store anything (not trying to take 2 cars to Costco) so i settled for an M3.

Last edited by sadclown; 03-21-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
visionboy

Originally Posted by sadclown
my gf has a 350z vert and we love it.

But i do agree with one of the posters about being paranoid leaving your car, especially in college. My car got so trashed during my college years, good thing i had an old pathfinder at the time.

We love the vert Z, so much fun to drive.

I would get a vert if you have a good parking spot thats covered, if not, i would get something cheap until you finish college.

I agree with aznmojo, since we got the 350 vert (limited storage) i had to pass on getting an NSX because we cant have 2 cars that cant store anything (not trying to take 2 cars to Costco) so i settled for an M3.
'settled' for m3 huh. man life must be tough. lol jk

i got a roadster, but i wouldn't have it if it was my only car. not practical. the Z roadster should be a weekend car imo

Last edited by visionboy; 03-24-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:21 PM
FairladyZX

i drive my zr daily n took it to vegas a few times with vert down n it's awesome.....if i need a bigger car i jus go borrow my friends suv
Old 04-10-2007, 06:46 AM
Morningglorie

Magic626, are you still looking or did you decide?

How close are you to college graduation? If you can hang on to your old car until you finish college and have moved into your new place, buying the roadster after you get your first job might make sense. At that point you'd know where you were living and if you had covered parking or not. I think the Z works fine as a daily driver IF: a) you have covered parking, ideally your own garage; b) you have access to or could rent, if needed, a larger car or van for those rare occasions when you have to haul large amounts of stuff. (Or you could pay for delivery - my local Home Depot will deliver big stuff, for an extra charge.) And c) you're not living in the snow belt, but sounds like that's not an issue for you.

On a daily basis I think there's plenty of room in the trunk for the weekly grocery shopping trip, for a couple of small suitcases (think airline overhead size), normal sorts of shopping trips, etc.

The average person has basically two windows of opportunity in life when a roadster makes sense: first when you're young and have no dependents, and second when you're in your late 40's or older and the dependents, if any, have moved out.

So if you want one when you're young, you're pretty close to the time when it could make sense for you.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:47 PM
magic626

im very impressed by this forum and how caring the members are! I'm basically just waiting until June to get my car and I've decided on the roadster. The reason why I'm delaying it a bit is because I really want to get the 2006 edition with the LED tail-lights and the projector HID's.

I'm actually graduating in 2 years and I might stay in school even longer depending if I get into law school right away or not.

Quick Reply: Z, IS300 or Acura TL?