Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

new owner ~ need guidance

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:48 PM
tgeirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner ~ need guidance

hello, all. i'm just got an 06 touring roadster . . . well, actaully, my girlfriend got it. anyway ~ she wants a grill, but we haven't found any that she likes. does anyone know of grills for this car that are not the straight grill that i see a lot of or the 'honeycomb' grill?? also - i wanna put 20's on, but keep the staggered set-up. i was thinking 20x8.5's and 20x9.5's. it seems to me that 20x10's would be a little much in the rear . . . any advice?

~Tim and Amy
Old 08-29-2007, 02:52 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Tim and Amy. Enjoy the ZR.
I don't know jack about grills or wheels.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:53 PM
tgeirk

lol - well, thanks for the welcome, anyway!!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:05 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure you get an 06+ grill. the 03-05 will not fit perfectly in there.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:21 PM
tgeirk

it's Tim again. i've been roaming around the site and noticed A LOT of you have strong feelings against 20" wheels and chrome. other than the extra weight, what is the big no-no about 20's and chrome? for the record, i am an assistant manager at Discount Tire Co. and have been there for 9 years, so i do know a little bit about wheels/tires. i have 22" chrome wheels on my 04 Murano and love them. obviously these are very different vehicles, but i'm interested in how the 20" on 350z got such a bad reputation . . .
Old 08-29-2007, 03:27 PM
blaukal

image vs. performance -- people on this site prefer the latter, and 20's are putting you on the wrong side of the fence, that's all. do what you like, don't let the haters keep you down. that said, I think 19's are the biggest you should go, then drop the sucker and fill that wheel gap.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:32 PM
tgeirk

well - i considered that, but i don't think we are gonna see any track time in this car, so it may as well look good, right? we both also ride motorcycles, so we have all kinds of "mod fever" when it comes to any vehicle.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM
soleil
NolaZcc

welcome....personally, i think 20's look funny on a Z...but it's ur car and do as u wish...i went with 19's and love the look
Old 08-29-2007, 03:43 PM
LAKERSFAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say go with what you like. there are people here running 20's.
maybe 19's in the front and 20's in the rear? just a suggestion.

im sure you can find pictures of Z's with 20's on them.

personally, i have not seen a aftermarket grill that looks even half way decent..... gl
Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM
jnewnc
Banned

Congrats to your girl on the ZR purchase Second discount tire have the worst customer service and deals period!!! And 19 by 9.5 or 10 is fine with what offset ? 20's especially chrome on the other hand... Sell your Z!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 06:20 PM
THE ROADSTER

forget the grille, get a new agressive front bumber.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Low cost grill?

Gas Grill?

Little more bling?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Built2shredZ

Depending on the style, 20" rims can look kind of funky on the 350z, they can look a little to big for the body style of the car. But there are some 20" rims that look really good on the Z....

As far as chrome goes, I've never been a fan of chrome, even when it was really popular in the late 80's early 90's.... To me it looks to bling bling... Kind of like rappers who have gold teeth clip ons. I perfer the sporty look to the "Hey Look At Me" look.... Plus you have the weight issue and the extra maintance.

But to each there own.... If you like chrome I say go for it...

Here's some grills i've seen....

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails new owner ~ need guidance-grill02.jpg   new owner ~ need guidance-grill01.jpg  
Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 PM
annahandres

Don't worry, 19's will look plenty big on the Z. Especially with a conservative 1 inch drop or so. 20's are very large and difficult to pull off. They are going to be more expensive, and there is a smaller selection of decent ones to choose from, since there is less of a market. Most of hate chrome because it looks tacky on a sports car. I'm sure your Murano looks ballin', but on a sports car, it is totally the wrong look. Tuner wheels>bling wheels on a tuner car. Z's are not bling cars unless they are show cars or something. If you want something flashy like chrome is, then buy some gold Works. Those are hot.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:05 PM
annahandres

And I also don't think grilles look good on the Z. Just get a sexy aftermarket bumper like the Amuse.

And these are the gold Works (pic borrowed).

Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 PM
tgeirk

Originally Posted by jnewnc
Congrats to your girl on the ZR purchase Second discount tire have the worst customer service and deals period!!! And 19 by 9.5 or 10 is fine with what offset ? 20's especially chrome on the other hand... Sell your Z!!!

1st off - DTC has been in NC for only a couple of years and i think there are only 3 stores. so, you are probably thinking of another company. 2nd of all - i wasn't asking for your opinion on how they look. i wanted to know if there are any fitment problems or residual problems that arise from 20" wheels. if i wanted my car to look like a piece of crap rice racer driven by a teen-ager, i would probably take your advice and end up with a body kit and gold wheels and super lightweight wheels that make no difference in a car that is driven everyday. if you want a track car - BUILD a track car. if you have the 350 because it is a cool car to be driven everyday, then drive it and shut-up.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:35 PM
annahandres

Damn when I read this reply in my email before seeing it on here I thought you were talking to me. You all need to chill out he's just asking a question.

But to the OP, look around on the forum. You're coming here saying you want chrome 20's and a grille. Most people here either have or like body kits or cf or gold wheels. The crowd here is into modifying, not pimping out their Z, which is what we see chrome dubs and grilles as. That stuff is for big SUVs and luxury vehicles. The Z is neither. So people are going to tell you not to do it because we all think it looks bad and is a shame to let ugly mods get all over our prized car. Just letting you know for future reference. But hey you might have some decent wheels in mind.. who knows. Also, the grilles for the Z suck so you might not find one you like cause they are all ugly.

Anways...

No 20's won't hurt your car or make it hard to drive or whatever concerns you may have if it's your DD. We just hear 20's and chrome and hope that the car doesn't look like this:

Old 08-29-2007, 07:59 PM
DelayedZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For grille's depending on the look your going for, precisiongrilles.com or grillcraft.com, there's plenty more websites but those are the main ones I use for grilles (though I have an account through the dealership I work at, lol)
Old 08-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Built2shredZ

Another thing you might consider with 20" rims is the low profile tire you will have to use, not only are these very expensive but they add to a rougher ride.

If it was me, I probably would have my GF stick with stock rims, as most girls I know including my GF have a bad habit of clipping curbs

Nothing worse then curb rash on a 20" chrome rim....
Old 08-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://pimpcar.ytmnd.com/

lol

Quick Reply: new owner ~ need guidance