Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lcsd479
I have a 2006 Roadster. Everything works fine while the top is opening, but the top did not finish going down. It lacked about the last six inches. It would stop. It is was cold here in St. louis last night. I tried about five different times and had the same problem. Then today, It was much warmer. 60 degrees compared to the 30 degrees last night (was showing a friend how the top worked). I could not get the problem to duplicate. It worked fine. Put the top up and down seven times. No problem. Confused?
there is a TSB for the elastic band replacment between the 3rd and 4th bows
that is what fixes the problem... or you can push the 3rd bow down during opening seqence to put it in the right spot to close all the way. just for the general knowledge... if your Z gets stuck open "deck lid doesnet open" there is an emergency procedure to put it up, take your trunk aprat and there is two clips velcroed to the floor pull those and it will unlock the deck lid... when forcing the top to move manualy, unplug the connectors to the motors and it will move much easier

Last edited by johnwigs; 03-06-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Reading through the posts I think there is a similar issue (noobs) here that people are getting confused with this thread. The tops (or at least mine) does not go all the way down in cold weather. Generally, if the top gets stuck you have to raise it up a little bit, than try again and it will go down. This issue does not relate to the OP's issue.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 PM
johnwigs

well the OM says to not open in the cold... besides its cold out. are you trying to get an ear infection?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 PM
lcsd479

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, was not drunk nor looking to get sick...lol. Just a friend was curious how the went up and down. They have a convertible also, but theirs is a manual top. Just happy I did not break anything.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:15 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnwigs
well the OM says to not open in the cold... besides its cold out. are you trying to get an ear infection?
I've driven a few times with the top down in weather at 20 degrees. Just keep the windows up and the heat cranked and your good!
Old 03-07-2010, 03:07 PM
johnwigs

Originally Posted by dfresh713
I've driven a few times with the top down in weather at 20 degrees. Just keep the windows up and the heat cranked and your good!
WTF 20 degrees!!!! Im glad I moved to sunny sandy eggo... no more sleet or snow for me no mo... im upset when its 50 outside
Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM
350zeee

Convertible top stopped working. Thanks z owners for sharing. I just had to become a member. I have a 2004 350zr. the back window stopped going up when I tried to let the top down. well took to Nissan dealer in INDIANAPOLIS on 96th street. they told me 5000 with labor to replace the entire top because they don't work on tops...they sent to an offsite location on Rockville road. they guys were like...Never seen this problem but we can try (gut feeling said don't leave car with these green horns lol!!!) reading your post on my350z.com...lead me to the weak motor know as the 5th bow. part alone cost about 600.00. took to Nissan dealer on shadeland Ave (#1 in indiana) well they would fix with parts and labor at a tune of 2300.00. I love the car so I decided on the fix.(that was 5 days ago...they still have the car.

I also contacted Nissan got a rep assigned to my case - THEY KNOW THE 5th BOW motor is weak and faulty and the choose to not help. but keep contacting them z owners.
they put out this service bullentin which will work for about 4 days. goes like...add nissan lubricate, twist this twist that...(works if the motor works) but the 5th bow motor is the issue...thanks to the person that gave me the part number...I'm a female and the dealer on 96th street in Indy treated me like I spoke "Avatar" - LOL

I'll let you know how the fix goes on my car from the dealer on Shadeland.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
taylorms

Originally Posted by 350zeee
Convertible top stopped working. Thanks z owners for sharing. I just had to become a member. I have a 2004 350zr. the back window stopped going up when I tried to let the top down. well took to Nissan dealer in INDIANAPOLIS on 96th street. they told me 5000 with labor to replace the entire top because they don't work on tops...they sent to an offsite location on Rockville road. they guys were like...Never seen this problem but we can try (gut feeling said don't leave car with these green horns lol!!!) reading your post on my350z.com...lead me to the weak motor know as the 5th bow. part alone cost about 600.00. took to Nissan dealer on shadeland Ave (#1 in indiana) well they would fix with parts and labor at a tune of 2300.00. I love the car so I decided on the fix.(that was 5 days ago...they still have the car.

I also contacted Nissan got a rep assigned to my case - THEY KNOW THE 5th BOW motor is weak and faulty and the choose to not help. but keep contacting them z owners.
they put out this service bullentin which will work for about 4 days. goes like...add nissan lubricate, twist this twist that...(works if the motor works) but the 5th bow motor is the issue...thanks to the person that gave me the part number...I'm a female and the dealer on 96th street in Indy treated me like I spoke "Avatar" - LOL

I'll let you know how the fix goes on my car from the dealer on Shadeland.
Welcome to the Z and hopefully they get you going real soon! The weather is ride for top-down driving here in Texas already. In fact I dropped mine on my way to lunch today. Do you have any specifics on the service bulletin you mentioned? It would be good info to have, just in case...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:02 AM
350zeee

http://www.myzroadster.com/Files/tsb.../NTB03-122.pdf
Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Technogk

Default Motor cost

5th bow motor OEM 489.86
http://www.nissanpartsdirect.com/oempartscat.html
Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dfresh713
Hey...that's cool!
Eventually, you will definitely have top problems. lol
Old 03-23-2010, 02:17 PM
taylorms

Good stuff...thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 PM
gregom

Yeah I don't think the opening of the top in <40 F weather is a good idea... I believe even the manual says not to do this. The soft top material is stiffer and requires more force to fold properly, which the motors may not be able to provide on the first try. This probably causes stress on the motor which will shorten its life.

Personally I try to avoid it if it is under 45 F. My problem is i'm tall so if its cold outside, my upper body is high enough in the car that even with the windows up and heater on full my neck area will get cold. And i'll be dammed if i'm caught wearing a scarf!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 PM
galavanter

Originally Posted by johnwigs
there is a TSB for the elastic band replacment between the 3rd and 4th bows
that is what fixes the problem... or you can push the 3rd bow down during opening seqence to put it in the right spot to close all the way...
I just got my 06 Touring Roadster 3 weeks ago. I drove a hundred miles home that night and decided to play with the top once more. It had worked fine that afternoon at the Nissan dealer I took it too for a PPI.

It wouldn't go down the last 6 inches, leaving the hard cover upright. My heart sank, as I tried to do the right thing with the PPI. It wasn't below 50F here in L.A. The next day, in the underground garage I rent a space in, it worked fine. It did it again when I was showing it off at work that night.

It has done it once since in the warm underground garage, so I guess I may need the elastic bands replaced. Thanks for the tip on pushing the 3rd bow down. I'm no longer fretting about it. Here is a link to the TSB you alluded to. It is a little too large to upload here, but you can download it if you register.

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowl...2369&catid=340

Now let's hope I pass, or is it fail, the oil consumption test I have begun.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:30 PM
lonestar78704

Thumbs up good call, golfguy!

Originally Posted by golfguy
Well, I fixed my problem. I speculated that since I could hear relays but the motors didn't run, that something had gotten out of sequence. I disconnected the battery cable, waited about 15 seconds then put it back. The top worked fine after that. Worth a try if you're having problems that aren't 5th Bow motor issues.
So I recently had my z broken into via the soft-top. Got it replaced. Have had problems from the get-go. Would work sometimes, but sometimes the latch on the top would unlock, but the top would not open. I could hear the "click", but no motors working at all. I'd assumed it had to be a relay/regulator issue since the motor worked sometimes. If it was the motor then I assumed the motor would just quit.

Long story short, I researched the issue today and found golfguy's theory on the "sync" issue. I disconnected the battery and reconnected 15 seconds later. The top worked much better and without fail for 10 cycles.

Hopefully, this is my fix!!

Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
PremoZ

Originally Posted by lonestar78704
So I recently had my z broken into via the soft-top. Got it replaced. Have had problems from the get-go. Would work sometimes, but sometimes the latch on the top would unlock, but the top would not open. I could hear the "click", but no motors working at all. I'd assumed it had to be a relay/regulator issue since the motor worked sometimes. If it was the motor then I assumed the motor would just quit.

Long story short, I researched the issue today and found golfguy's theory on the "sync" issue. I disconnected the battery and reconnected 15 seconds later. The top worked much better and without fail for 10 cycles.

Hopefully, this is my fix!!

Thanks again!
I have a similar problem with my 2004 350Z Roadster. When I try to open the top, it starts and doesn't do anything. I hear the clicking motor. At first, it was intermittent, it would open if I banged on the 5th bow and retried. Now, it won't open at all.
Nissan Dealer says they'll fix it for $6000K. Question: Is there a manual override or any type of workaround to get the top opened? I am willing to live with this inconvenience. The top closes fine after it's open.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:23 AM
dankcei

I have an 06 and everything with the top is working fine however the light will not go out. Does anyone have any ideas on how or what to do to fix this?
Thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 AM
golfguy

@Starchecker

A couple of pictures of what you're referring to would be really informative. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 PM
bigcalmr2

Yes, the top has a sensor which prevents it from going down when the temperature is "low". Some say 40-50 degrees, but Nissan does not actually specify in their Owners Manual, an exact temperature. I live in MD near Wash., DC and when the weather is in the low 60's my top won't go down all the way. However, if its low 60's, very sunny & warm... I can leave my car in the sun & the top and car body sometimes warms up enough. Then it will allow the drop to complete. Note, I don't force it or try multiple times. I take it for what it is... too cold to drop. We have many hot and humid days here, so the A.C. is sometimes the way to go. I don't want to damage my top by dropping it in cold weather, which it's designed to prevent in the first place.

Last edited by bigcalmr2; 06-16-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:01 PM
doorpro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys,

I know it's been a while and to be honest i had forgotten about the issue until the wife started in on me that it was summer and she couldnt use the soft top.
So, i looked at it again today and it was the elastic between the first and second bows that was so streched that it wasn't pulling the second bow out of the path of the first bow and that was what was locking up.
I have replaced the elastic which was as simple as removing a few pop rivets and puting in a new stronger elastic and i also lubed all the joints with a silicon based lube. All is right with the world again.
Thanks to everyone here for getting involved.
regards,
Doug.

Quick Reply: convertible top problem