Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Dirk Logan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004- 350Z had new top installed now top won't close all the way

Purchased an aftermaket top by Robbins for my 2004 350z and to close & lock the top I have to push the top down in the front. Also when opening the top the back hatch has to be pushed down in order to close completely and turn off the yellow (top) indicator. Can anyone advise what needs to be done to fix this problem?
Old 08-23-2012, 03:26 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The top will stretch, just give it a little time. If you park in a garage, leave it folded over night.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM
out&about

Smile My 05 350Z top will stop

Has anyone had any trouble with the top opening and then stopping just before it goes into the compartment? We changed the 5th bow motor and it still does the same thing. It goes up from that position with no problem. We have even lubricated it since we were told that is what it needed. Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 AM
SHILOW

Originally Posted by out&about
Has anyone had any trouble with the top opening and then stopping just before it goes into the compartment? We changed the 5th bow motor and it still does the same thing. It goes up from that position with no problem. We have even lubricated it since we were told that is what it needed. Any suggestions?
Try pushing down on the second bow as the top folds. The elastic straps wear quickly and the second bow can cause your problem if it itsn't positioned correctly as the top folds.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
out&about

thanks for your info. I had the straps replaced and that did the job..
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 AM
sparticus

Does anyone know where I could take my 2005 350z with a 5th bow issue to get fixed in Columbus, GA? Atlanta, GA?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 AM
SHILOW

Originally Posted by sparticus
Does anyone know where I could take my 2005 350z with a 5th bow issue to get fixed in Columbus, GA? Atlanta, GA?
If the 5th bow motor is the problem you can replace the brushes in the motor for less than ten dollars. There is a 'how to' on this forum with pics. You should try it before you take it to someone who will charge you $1000 to replace it with a new one.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM
sparticus

I've seen the how to forum, but I'm too scared to try it.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 AM
SHILOW

Originally Posted by sparticus
I've seen the how to forum, but I'm too scared to try it.
If you're getting the motor replaced anyway it doesn't matter if you can not complete the job. A $10 fix as oppossed to an $800 one is worth a try.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:59 AM
shakyj

Default Convertible top won't go down SOLUTION

I had the same problem and the dealership had to replace the top. Call the corporation get a claim number, if your car isn't under warranty. They are tracking this problem and will probably replace it.

If you go to:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/

You will see all the "service bulletins" on any Nissan car. I couldn't believe that the 2006-350z DIDN'T have any recalls! When it's over 300 owners here with the same problem. But the 370z have recalls?

I think if people start calling the Corporation to get a case number. This will open their eyes to our problem. Maybe, we can start getting some recalls.

So, please owners just call and get a case number started; then you can go off and fix it yourself.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 AM
shakyj

Default Issues

I had the same problem and the dealership had to replace the top. Call the corporation get a claim number, if your car isn't under warranty. They are tracking this problem and will probably replace it.

If you go to:

You will see all the "service bulletins" on any Nissan car. I couldn't believe that the 2006-350z DIDN'T have any recalls! When it's over 300 owners here with the same problem. But the 370z have recalls?

I think if people start calling the Corporation to get a case number. This will open their eyes to our problem. Maybe, we can start getting some recalls.

So, please owners just call and get a case number started; then you can go off and fix it yourself.

Last edited by shakyj; 02-08-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Want to move to issues
Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 AM
shakyj

The top is covered under warranty. However if your warranty has expired go the dealership to get it documentation and then call the corporation to file a complaint.

My entire top had to get replaced but it was still under warranty, so Nissan knows about this problem.

Hope this helps out.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 AM
shakyj

Exclamation Convertible top Solution

The top is covered under warranty. However if your warranty has expired go the dealership to get it documentation and then call the corporation to file a complaint.

My entire top had to get replaced but it was still under warranty, so Nissan knows about this problem.

Hope this helps out.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM
shakyj

Originally Posted by joepark
I was another recent post. I am having a similar problem. I tried to open the top, then windows went down but top stayed up. When I press the button it sounds like it trys to open but stops. Also, the light for the top came on. any ideas what is wrong?
Issues

If you go to:

Last edited by shakyj; 02-08-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Want to move to issues
Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM
jgc0726

Hey guys I have an 06 enthusiast convertible and the top won't go down at all it won't even make noises to let me know that is even trying to move. Has anybody experienced this problem?
Old 12-13-2013, 12:25 PM
SHILOW

Originally Posted by jgc0726
Hey guys I have an 06 enthusiast convertible and the top won't go down at all it won't even make noises to let me know that is even trying to move. Has anybody experienced this problem?
We need a better description of your issue.

Step one: You have to apply pressure to the brake pedal for the top to start to move.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:06 PM
jgc0726

Originally Posted by SHILOW
We need a better description of your issue.

Step one: You have to apply pressure to the brake pedal for the top to start to move.
Yessir i do everything hay your suppose to do for the top to start moving but nothing happens, no movement no noise nothing
Old 02-20-2014, 04:41 PM
nerdhiker

How would one get the straps replaces? Is it a DIY job or do I need to get it done by a professional? If I were to buy parts, are they expensive (the straps I mean)? Whats the part #?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Blooster

Originally Posted by nerdhiker
How would one get the straps replaces? Is it a DIY job or do I need to get it done by a professional? If I were to buy parts, are they expensive (the straps I mean)? Whats the part #?
There's an excellent tutorial here: https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadst...-tutorial.html

Bought 2 straps from the dealer at $11 each and it took about an hour to install them. For my '05 the part number for the straps was "97150-ce01b - Cover Assy-Fold".
Old 04-08-2014, 12:45 PM
myfairlady33

Originally Posted by DocJ
I had similar problem on my 05 zr. Started with 5th bow sounding sluggish & weak like motor was straining. Had several times where it wouldn't budge, but heard the latch in back "click" with top indicator light coming on. Sometimes with several attempts it would go. Finally got to where it wouldn't open, but windows & such would go down like normal early cycle. Turned out it wasn't my 5th bow motor, but some sort of regulator that controls all the different motors cycling at specific times. Luckily, I had purchased an extended warranty which covered most of the repair cost. Just fyi, may not be the 5th bow motor which is what I had expected to hear.
I am similar problems with my 2004 Z roadster.I did some checking out off components from the service manual.So far I found the control uniti might be bad. I checked from terminal 27 to ground and should be 5 volts and had 0.I'mstill going to run through the checks for the 5th bow motor.Was it the control unit that got replaced on your car?

Quick Reply: convertible top problem