Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Autocrossing the Z Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 PM
beachvertible

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocrossing the Z Roadster

Just curious if anyone here has any experience autocrossing the ZR?

I traded my S2000 for an '05 Enthusiast ZR automatic a few months back due to severe low back problems. I found that everytime I drove the S my sciatica would flare up for several weeks.

Anyway, its taken a few months to get the hang of driving autocross with the automatic. I get the best results in manual mode. I compete in B Stock. Honestly, when driven properly the ZR just kills at autocross .

Last month I won my class and beat several S2000's in A Stock. I was about 4/10's of a second off from a modified 6 speed 2007 coupe with 19 inch wheels and Nismo rear differential. Some of the folks there were amazed that it was an automatic.

I'm very impressed with this car. Its comfy and down right luxurious by S2000 standards, yet it still retains the heart of a real sports car.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:04 AM
zprincess

Many people just don't realize what a fabulous car the z roadie is. Hope your back gets better.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:39 AM
Blu Hvn

I've seen 350Z coupes autocross but not a Roadster. CongratZ on your success.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Donsred350Z

That got to look cool as hell all suited up in shades, helmet and gloves in a ZR.

I'm surprised that its that much more comfortable then a S2K I know its bigger and has more amenities, but as a daliy driver its that much easier on you back.

As for auto crossing the turns and speed that a Car and Driver goes through must be hell on your back no matter what you are driving. But obviously not you have won and finishing high in a heavier car, though you have more power I'm surprise they balance out. You must be an exceptional driver, from what I'm told the Honda 2K is the car to have Auto Xing, overall speed and balance.

Keep Doing US proud!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive top down, helmet on, Music Bumping. AutoCross is fun in the ZR.

Nothing like hearing Firestarter blasting down an autocross course. The Cone Workers seem to enjoy it.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 PM
beachvertible

'm surprised that its that much more comfortable then a S2K I know its bigger and has more amenities, but as a daliy driver its that much easier on you back.

The ZR is way more comfortable. Easier in which to get in and out, with a much more comfortable ride.

As for auto crossing the turns and speed that a Car and Driver goes through must be hell on your back no matter what you are driving.

Actually, I have a bad sciatica on the left leg that only flares up if I extend it...ie. pushing in a clutch, or if I jog.
Otherwise, give me lotsa "g" forces.

But obviously not you have won and finishing high in a heavier car, though you have more power I'm surprise they balance out. You must be an exceptional driver, from what I'm told the Honda 2K is the car to have Auto Xing, overall speed and balance.

Thanks, but I'm only an average driver. The main point is that the ZR is a much better "sports"car than most people would imagine. I will admit that the S2k is better suited for autocross with its lighter weight...I should know...I've had three of them. However, driven correctly even an automatic ZR can be a formidable challenger to the S2k. You can definitely hold your head up high when competing with the ZR!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
spenZe

I haven't tracked my ZR yet, but in a few months when this nasty freezy Chicago Winter stuff turns to Spring, that is next on my agenda. OK, maybe the Big Brake is actually next. But, a good way to gear up in the meanwhile seems to be tuning in with SCCA and Solo II action, and there appears to be a lot of opportunities around in my area. I will hope to have as similar good results to post at the end of my debut season! Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:57 PM
spenZe

OK, so we had the Learning Curve, which is a pre-event, last weekend.
They bumped my ZR to 'BSP' for my CAI and pulleys, but I am running in Open Street Tire category overall. I had a blast, and learned a ton, with a lot more learning to gain through experience - but when I analyze the overall results, I am not as disappointed as I had thought I would be.

Overall, including PAX, I ended up 76th of 147...so not so impressive, but the B Street Prepared index kills me there. [still, compare that to the Z coupe in 144th, and many S2ks in between].
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/2008/event0_index.html

But, in 'Open Street Tire', I fared a little better, placing 21st of 66. Again, compare that to the coupe in 64th [he never even had a clean run], Overall, in S-BSP, I ranked 2nd of 9, to a sweet M3, and beat multiple S2000s within class.
http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/2008/event0_class.html

I think the ZR is entirely capable of being competitive...let's wait and see about [me] the driver!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 AM
luvmyumpc

Not a post about AutoX, although I want to get involved in that, but I have the exact same comments about going from S2K to ZR... WAYYY more comfy. The biggest difference for me is not the seat etc as I fit in the S2000 just fine, its the fact that the stress levels while driving, especially spirited driving, are totally different. Torque at lower rpm's doesn't exist in the S2K, so to keep the fun level up you needed to be above 6K rpm all the time. I found I was vibrating when I parked the honda after a fun drive, and with the ZR I just get out and feel great.

PS - I also went with the 5AT in my ZR as my back gets sore shifting gears as well. Only problem is I don't drive much as I work from home, so I am hoping it takes me less than a year to get it over the break in period and can go autox it... seriously, 2 months and only 170 miles!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:51 AM
dhwang80

#1 for 5AT in the ZR.

My left knee was feeling woes from my last manual car. What kind of tires and sizes are recommended for autox our Z's

stick with the 225/245 setup on 18's?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Donsred350Z

Spenze - I think the ZR is entirely capable of being competitive...let's wait and see about [me] the driver.

Spenze thats some pretty good driving I know you giving credit to the car but somebody got to drive it and Auto Xing is half equipment and half driver weak anywhere and you finish like the 350Z coupe.

Anyway no matter if you finish in the top of the heap or back with the Coupe you still looking good in a 350Z!!! Top down and dressed goggles, helmet and gloves got to look bad a$$ even in last place.

Top of the heap kick is a$$, ask them "Whose their DaddY"!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 PM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ZR is a big comfort improvement over the S2000. My dad loves the Z and said I should of gotten this before.

Congrats on your success in the AutoX and representing for ZR owners!
Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
ZR_Yancy

You need to post some pics tearing up the course in full gear!!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:55 PM
gregom

I'll be attending autocross here in a couple weeks, I'm thinking its going to do pretty good. My Tiburon did fairly well once I upgraded the suspension and put good tires on, and smoothed out my driving. The Z is faster, already has good suspension and I have good tires, and am more experienced so i'm expecting a decent increase in my performance around the course.

I usually always take video from inside during my run and I'm hoping I can do this with the Z... Will be a little tricky trying to figure out how I will mount my camera. I got one of those sticky pods but its kinda jittery to the camera.

You can check out my Tib in autocross vids here if your really bored: http://www.megabytemike.com/Tibby/Au...cs%20&%20Vids/

I sucked the first time I went but slowly got better. One major problem with my Tib though was the steering was so slow, so when you got into a slalom it just wasnt fast enough to keep up and you actually are trying to steer faster than the power steering pump can go and the steering gets extremely heavy. I doubt i'll have this problem in the Z considering the past of the 'Zed cars'. But we'll see...
Old 04-10-2008, 08:44 PM
beachvertible

I finished last weekend's AutoX again in first place for my class "B Stock."

Of course this time I was the only person in my class, but I still beat out many guys in B Stock Prepared.

I've resisted adding cold air intakes, changing the tire sizes, or adding sway bars as I want to stay in the stock class where I feel the ZR automatic is most competetive.

The folks at my autocross are amazed at how well the automatic trans performs and how it consistently provides equal or better times than similarly equipped manual trans cars...including other Z's. I run most AutoX's in 1st and 2nd gear.

I changed tires to BF Goodrich KDW2's this past weekend and took almost 3 seconds off my time. The stock Michelein Pilot Sports were quiet and comfy riding, but were absolute useless screeching carcasses by the end of my 2nd autocross. Sigh...still I kept 'em for a while because they had some tread life left and because I am a cheap b*stard The KDW2's are a little noisier and harder riding but they have amazing grip in dry and wet. Well worth the trade off IMHO.

A few comments to those of you thinking of switching wheel/tire sizes. The ZR has a really great stock suspension....and the stock 18" tire size appears to be nearly ideal. A friend of mine was consistently getting 1.5 second better times in his lighter, more powerful, 6 speed 2007 Z coupe. He switched to 19" wheels with Bridgestone REO1 tires and he lost that margin. Suddenly, we were running the same times. In addition, I was running the slippery Pilot Sports at that time.

Some of the more experienced Autocrossers were saying something about decreased turn in with larger/wider tires? Whatever...it seems to me, however, that a plus 1 or 2 wheel and tire upgrade does not always equate to better autoX times. Unsprung weight of the wheel and tire may have something to do with this also. I think the ideal rubber would be R compound tires in an 18" size, as they will still allow you to stay in a stock class.

Anyway...I say go out there and run your Z Roadsters at the AutoX. Its a ton of fun and priceless to see the look on some people's faces when you run one of these cars and post such good track times. And while they "trailer" their car home, you can: turn up the ac, blast the XM, and have the seat heater soothe your sore muscles on your ride home from the track.

Last edited by beachvertible; 04-10-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If any of you auto X guys could hook up an in car camera sometime, that would be awesome.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 AM
dhwang80

your posts make me want to join the autox this sunday.

but i just bought new tires... and they arn't cheap :*(

question:
will outfitting a touring model with brembo brakes and track rims violate the "Stock" status?

Last edited by dhwang80; 04-11-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
gregom

You have a Z and your worried about the cost of tires? Let me tell you this... if those rear tires come off and they aren't completely F*CKED then you didn't do your job! Take your car out to autocross and F*CK some S*IT up with those rear tires! YEAH!!!!

lol... sorry, couldn't resist.

I'll definatly try to take video, looks like autocross is next weekend so i'll probably post videos Sunday evening.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
dhwang80

Sorry but I'm not the kind of guy that likes to be wasteful.
if its all about trashing those rear tires, I'll wait till they're about bald before "yippie"ing around like a fat kid in a candy store
Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 PM
gregom

I know i'm just flippin' ya crap. But I certainly hope you do some racing around, thats what this car is meant for! Otherwise if you ask my opinion, its wasteful not to race it! There are plenty of other cars that look really nice that you can just cruise around in. But to each his own...

Quick Reply: Autocrossing the Z Roadster