Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

N00B ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Z ET SEQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default N00B ?s

Tyia for the 411 and the kind remarks from kids in the hood over in the new owner thread. Opinions on:

- how best to hand wash roadster

and

-best nav system to install. i really wanted it stock, but my 05 didn't come equipped. I'll consider anything, but was hoping to make streamline... user friendly is key too. Tyia peace

Zlady
Old 08-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Phreakdout

^^ I hand wash mine in the shade of course. I use the autodry sprayer to rinse but not to soap. For the soap, I use Dawn. (I have heard this many times that this is best for stripping the old wax off without clouding the paint.)

Mother's Clay Bar is a must. This takes me the whole day. (read = one case of beer) Half way through, progress is slowed by beer. LOL

After clay bar, I use Mother's paint cleaner to get tiny bits of clay out if I didn't lubricate enough.

Followed by Mirror Glaze 7 which adds a deep polish and follow again with Mother's carnuba wax. (Applied by hand)

Before applying the final wax, the paint should feel clean (smooth) to the touch. If you feel inconsistant spots, re-clay bar that section.

Best NAV: I heard many good things about Alpine, Pioneer or the Kenwood systems. I already have factory NAV so I have no personal experience with them.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 08-09-2008 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:36 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like some good advice above. I like the Meguirers products myself. For the headlights and plastic pieces try PlastiX. That product is amazing. NXT wax and quick detailer with clay bar makes a very nice finish.

I am trying to get an Eclipse NAV unit or a Pioneer. Avic D3 is the earliest model you will probably want if you want to play DVD's.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Z ET SEQ

So Mother's Clay it is -- looking into buying some asap.

Any advice on how to best proceed with obtain the Avic D3? Thx again
Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM
nissannube

i have a pioneer d3 in mine... just as clean as all the others, half the price
Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Z ET SEQ

I followed Phreakedout's and others suggestion about the Mother's Clay... But I'm doing mine in piecemeal. Also, my paint is already pretty clean, and I don't hear it taking off the contaminants, as the product directions suggests. I use a lot of the Showtime spray.. My paint does feel smooth, and maybe even smoother after the MC's (do recommend..) I started with the hood and now working the side...and I started a few weeks ago. I know this isn't the ideal way, but it's the best I can do. And I recently used Palmolive, b/c I didn't have Dawn.. Considering my lack of attention, my car has stayed relatively clean. (With an average of 1/month washing.) It's always parked in garage or carport. But soon my work may required that I park outside, all day... Thus I'm considering a car cover, but realize likely at the expense of being made fun of by my co-workers.. Thanks for the MC suggestion, like the product. Any opinions on Zaino products? Worth the $
Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Phreakdout

I have seen the results of Zaino products on RX8s. It does a great job. Worth giving it a try at least once.