Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Roadster owners:How often do you put your top down?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Georgia weather sucks =( It's been raining since lask week. It never happened in past 10years. I thought GA got the best weather but I guess i'm wrong. ha.. I miss sunnnnny day.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:02 AM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put it down whenever possible.

(So long as I don't look like an idiot who drives a car with a top that doesn't work.) What I mean is if it's really fuggin cold out and I have the top down, people aren't saying hey look at that cool car, they're saying hey look at that frozen idiot. (No offense to the guys above.) If it's cold and in an isolated area, I will be guilty of having the top down.

There are times when it's off and on raining and I'm on the highway. If I can see that this patch of rain is only about 1/2 mile long, I'll put the hammer down and not put the top up. The aerodynamics of the car keeps me pretty dry so long as I'm doing 80 mph.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:38 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Fellow-roadster owners who love having the top down remember: it's holiday time, and people are out looking to take stuff from your car. My ZR was broken into last night while parked at Home Depot. 5:30pm - still light out, and parked under one of their parking lot lights. People are amazing.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:28 PM
ZR_Yancy

Originally Posted by scotts300
Fellow-roadster owners who love having the top down remember: it's holiday time, and people are out looking to take stuff from your car. My ZR was broken into last night while parked at Home Depot. 5:30pm - still light out, and parked under one of their parking lot lights. People are amazing.
Sorry to read that. Did you leave the top down?

I still drive with my top down. I have a two way pager alarm with microwave motion sensor so I don't don't have to put my top up if I just run into a convenient store.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 PM
dfresh713
Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had it down in 20 degree weather this weekend!! It really doesnt feel bad, if you have the heat blowing at max.

Also, fyi if your on a freeway going at least 50mph in a rainstorm, you will not get one drip of water on you in the rain with the top down.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I leave the top mostly down on my 350 Z roadster, but I also live in a rainy place. I remember reading that back in the 50s, Cadillac designed a system that would sense rain falling on a parked convertible and would automatically close the top and all the windows. Apparently, they were deterred from producing it do to concerns about safety, or some such foolish reason.

I was wondering if I could utilize an optical rain sensing switch (from one of the many cars that feature automatic rain sensing windshield wipers) to trigger my top to close by itself when it starts to rain? Anybody know of a kit, or what electronic components would be nessary to make this work?

I’ve been asking and searching around for something like this. You guys seem so smart; surely somebody here can help me with this.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every day. If it is too cold for the top down the Z stays in the garage and I drive the TL.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 AM
ohw

Had mine since 2004, still take every chance to go top down. The world does look better topless. Since the experience with the ZR, I will always have a vert in my future.

Hey Overlord#1,
Since you are in Denver, have you had a chance to check out the group at www.MilehighZ.com? A local group with meets and such. Unfortunately I just moved out of Denver, I hung around with them for about 2 years, very friendly bunch.

Last edited by ohw; 12-02-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR_Yancy
Sorry to read that. Did you leave the top down?

I still drive with my top down. I have a two way pager alarm with microwave motion sensor so I don't don't have to put my top up if I just run into a convenient store.
Info on the alarm?

The top was down with the windows up, as I had a 6' piece of molding in there. Given the time and location that I parked, I figured it'd be ok. Then the reality of living in South San Jose set in, and I realized my mistake.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:56 PM
ZR_Yancy

Originally Posted by scotts300
Info on the alarm?
Click Here for Alarm Info

These are all the the features that come with the package. You can add the microwave proximity sensor for additional $:

* Color Camera with FLASH
* Automatic picture capture upon security violation
* Selective picture capture through the remote
* Store and recall up to ten discrete images on the LCD remote.
* One Carbon Fiber 2-Way True Color Picture remote control.
* One Carbon Fiber Slick 5-Button Remote With Super Bright Blue LED
* Built-In Parking-Light Relay Programmable (+/-)
* One 5 button code hopping remote control Sleek Carbon Fiber with Super Bright
* Blue LED
* Plug In LED and Override Switch
* Remote Start Tachless Mode using Adaptive Digital Signal Processing -
* compatible with all vehicles
* Remote Start Tach Monitor
* Starter Interrupt Output
* Dual stage Electronic Impact sensor
* Power door lock control
* Trunk Release
* Parking Light Flasher programmable polarity
* Courtesy Light Control
* Anti-grind Option
* Gas or Diesel compatibility
* Cold Start timer
* Selectable Engine Run Time
* Turbo Timer (adjustable)
* Smart Network Port
* Easy programming Via your PC, Pocket PC or Valet sw. and Remote Transmitter
Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 PM
hdtom1

Unhappy 07 top only goes 1/2 way

help has anyone heard of the top going down and stopping at 1/2 way? wtf? it was working just fine and now it dont!!! it only has 10 grand on it!! HELP!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 AM
fuzzy_dba

My rule is that the top goes down if it's not pouring rain and/or below 50 degrees, 45 on a sunny day. I may have the windows up and the heater on but it's after all, the top is supposed to be down!

I drive 80+ miles to work (one way) each day so the top is down as much as possible. Light rain doesn't bother me on the highway; driving rain is another matter!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:56 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by hdtom1
help has anyone heard of the top going down and stopping at 1/2 way? wtf? it was working just fine and now it dont!!! it only has 10 grand on it!! HELP!
Start a new thread on this. (After you go to the dealer of course.) 10K miles on a 2007. I'd be at the dealer before posting here.

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anytime its at least 50 degrees and dry.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:51 PM
pfunkmob

If it's dry and 50 degrees the top is down. They think I'm nuts but I love it. Why buy a d*&^$$ convertible to ride around with the top up? Buy a coupe and stop faking it.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Magyver

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
I put it down whenever possible.

(So long as I don't look like an idiot who drives a car with a top that doesn't work.) What I mean is if it's really fuggin cold out and I have the top down, people aren't saying hey look at that cool car, they're saying hey look at that frozen idiot. (No offense to the guys above.) If it's cold and in an isolated area, I will be guilty of having the top down.
My wife and I was in Toronto a few years ago eating downtown. It was freezing...I think it was like 20 degrees seriously. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a guy in BMW Vert with his top down. He looked like a total fool. I don't care how much heat was in the car he looked like an idiot.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 AM
07rdsterGT

Had the top down all day yesterday. It was 65+ all day here in NOVA
Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Metalaya

On very cold days my girlfriend and I like to bundle up and drive with the top down...
Old 01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
johns350

Default Top Down today!

75 degrees and beautiful in North Texas today! Supposed to be 80+ tomorrow. So.....gonna give it a bath, then a top down drive. Most excellent. Not bad for beginning of January! Loving it..
Old 01-07-2009, 06:29 AM
JerZeyGirlZ350Z

Being I just got mine I haven't had the top down yet, in fact the guy we got it from showed me how to do it (quickly I might add) and I don't remember. So I will have to check out my manual to see how to do it again, but here in TN it's been raining for like 2 mos..soooooooo sucks!!!!! But come nice sunny weather..top is going down baby!!!!! Cant wait!!!

Quick Reply: Roadster owners:How often do you put your top down?