Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Top replacement under warranty (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:22 AM
NewOrleans350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top replacement under warranty (2007)

Top replaement under warranty (2007).

Yes, I searched and found a lot of issues with the older model having the same problem over and over again. Anyone ever had any issues with the newer model Roadsters?

I have a 2007 roadster (still under factory 3 year warranty) and noticed a small tear beginning to form. The location is just about directly above the driver's head and about three inches to the left. There is a bar that goes across the top in that location and the bar has a piece screwed into it; it looks like the screws rubbing against the top are causing the tear.

Anyway, that really isn't that important. I am wondering if the top should be replaced. I brought it in the other day and the service manager said the only way to fix a tear is to have it replaced (over $1000), but the dealership has a $1000 limit for interior trim pieces. He needs to forward the information over to his superiors to see if they can do it. Is this correct? If it is being caused by the actual mechanics involved in putting the top up and down, shouldn't it be covered?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM
XV8Crisis

you would think. but good luck with that seriously, for some reason Nissan has been neglecting us ZR owners and our tops =(
Old 03-25-2009, 11:03 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleans350z
Top replaement under warranty (2007).

Yes, I searched and found a lot of issues with the older model having the same problem over and over again. Anyone ever had any issues with the newer model Roadsters?

I have a 2007 roadster (still under factory 3 year warranty) and noticed a small tear beginning to form. The location is just about directly above the driver's head and about three inches to the left. There is a bar that goes across the top in that location and the bar has a piece screwed into it; it looks like the screws rubbing against the top are causing the tear.

Anyway, that really isn't that important. I am wondering if the top should be replaced. I brought it in the other day and the service manager said the only way to fix a tear is to have it replaced (over $1000), but the dealership has a $1000 limit for interior trim pieces. He needs to forward the information over to his superiors to see if they can do it. Is this correct? If it is being caused by the actual mechanics involved in putting the top up and down, shouldn't it be covered?

That's BS from your dealer.
Get your top replaced.....take it to another dealer if need be.
Complain to Nissan...your ZR is under warranty with no charge at all.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:02 PM
ohw

The top is covered under Nissan warranty for 3 years. They replaced mine (04) with no question asked. Besides, since when a top becomes an interior trim piece? Time to visit another dealer. You may want to ask for a response in writing and file a complain with Nissan. This world doesn't need ignorant dealers or service managers.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i have an 06 then i can replace without any problems? I was just wondering because I gotta replace mine too =(...
Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 PM
KombatKing

You are having the same issue all of us roadster owners are facing/have faced. Nissan's old roof design had a nice tendency to tear at the seams, and the newer roof design ('07+) has this elastic strap issue. Basically, the straps become loose and the screws on the top of the roof bow straps begin to shift and rub holes in the roof in 4 distinct places - one for each screw just above the driver and passenger doors.

My 2004 ZR had 3 tops put on it (the original roof tore from seam seperation; #2 had the 4 holes of death from the screws you mention; #3 was fine for a month until I noticed the 4 holes forming again). Nissan finally released a TSB fix for the newer roof's issue. Their solution was to double stitch the elastic straps making them stronger and put adhesive felt screw covers of the screw on the bow to reduce friction.

My solution was to sell the car back to Nissan.

~KK