350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Got into an accident with my Z!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 07:09 PM
joshuaadude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got into an accident with my Z!

Okay first to answer any preliminary questions:

no i was not speeding. the accident happened in a parking lot.
yes, i am 19. no records.

alright, onto the scene. so i was driving around in my apartment last night dropping my friend off and i was following this white truck, a pretty old beat up looking white toyota. he was driving rather slowly (estimate maybe around 10mph) and he pulled over onto the left hand side and stopped for a few seconds. the space in width in my parking lot is pretty wide. it can easily accommodate two cars driving side by side. when i saw that the truck had pulled over onto the left, i shifted over to the right and sped up a bit to pass him.

my car got about alongside with his car when i saw in my side mirror that he was swerving right. he was making a right turn but he did not have his blinker when he turned nor did he bother to turn his blinker on earlier. his truck collided with my Z and gave me a small dent on the body right in front of the rear wheel base behind the door.

we both got out of our cars and immediately he started yelling at me about me speeding and how passing him like that in a parking lot is illegal. i told him that his blinker wasnt on and when i saw that he remained stationary, i proceeded to move on his right hand side. there is nothing illegal about that.

my car has a a small dent and what looks like a long smear mark that stretches halfway across my door. some of it came off when i rubbed at it, so im hoping that i can buff it out without any problems. i dont know what to do about the dent though..

his truck on the other hand survived a previous accident. his bumper was screwed up and the top of his hood was distorted. what i hit was the plastic part of his bumper (the metal cover he had before was already bent out of place) and that is what presumably gave me the smear mark. at first he stated that i only bent the plastic part, but afterwards he decided to change his story and stated that i damaged the entire bumper. he also claimed that i was going at around 40-50 mph and i was speeding past him. i counter that had i really been going that fast, i would have more than just a small dent and smear and i really doubt his bumper would still be attached to his truck.

in any case, we exchanged insurance information and i am currently working it out with them. what pissed me off the most about the entire ordeal was when i asked him what he wanted to do, he gave me two options: we can either trade insurance or i can pay for his repair ticket.

what an *******. my poor Z!
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The truck pulled to the left.
You passed on the right.
As you were passing on the right the truck pulled out and stuck your car.

Is this correct?

Not sure why you should pay for anything.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:27 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Photos of the damage appreciated.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I would check the laws on private parking lots to see if that covers your circumstance. Assuming that lot is private, normally you're on your own no matter who is at fault. If that is true for your scenario, I'd tell the guy to shove it and pay for his own vehicle.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:39 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People that move to the left and turn right fire me up. It's like they're driving an 18 wheeler or something. He is in the wrong. If he wants to get all huffy about doing the "illegal", tell him it's illegal to turn without using your turn signal also. Not that anybody seems to use them anymore (I do).
Old 04-18-2009, 08:49 PM
joshuaadude

Originally Posted by davidv
The truck pulled to the left.
You passed on the right.
As you were passing on the right the truck pulled out and stuck your car.

Is this correct?

Not sure why you should pay for anything.
yeap thats right. im not paying for anything, but the guy was really eager to push for that solution. like hell i will! if anything he should be paying for me! and yeah i will put up pictures soon. i dont have my cable on me at the moment.

Originally Posted by russ713
I would check the laws on private parking lots to see if that covers your circumstance. Assuming that lot is private, normally you're on your own no matter who is at fault. If that is true for your scenario, I'd tell the guy to shove it and pay for his own vehicle.
the lot is private. he called the cops but they wouldnt do the damage report. he insisted on trading insurance as well so im just filing a claim on my part just in case.

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
People that move to the left and turn right fire me up. It's like they're driving an 18 wheeler or something. He is in the wrong. If he wants to get all huffy about doing the "illegal", tell him it's illegal to turn without using your turn signal also. Not that anybody seems to use them anymore (I do).
definitely man. i told him that he didnt have his blinker on at all. my friend in the passenger seat saw the very same. he claimed that he did but when i checked his car and there was no blinker, he said "he turned it off after he got hit." how convenient of him.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joshuaadude
yes, i am 19.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:03 PM
joshuaadude

hahaha i know what youre thinking! i wasnt being reckless on my part, really.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:27 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Lesson learned the hard way I hope. When car moves to the left in parking lot, I wait to see what to bonehead is going to do before I do anything. Percentages anymore seem to be with someone doing something stupid.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 AM
Flick Montana

It's called a farmer's turn. In Indiana, I came to know them well. Never trust a pickup that is swerving left, there is a 50% chance they are about to go right.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
joshuaadude

yeah its just a very tedious process to endure through now. i dont mean to be stereotyping, but the guy comes from a rural part of town up in norcal. i guess he knows a thing or two about farmers turns hahaha.

i talked to my insurance agent the other day and he told me that it isnt guaranteed i can win the case. he told me a story about how another client was in a very similar situation as me. the car in front of the client pulled over on the right hand side by the curb to make a turn into the driveway, so the client proceeded to drive ahead. at the last minute the car on the right suddenly swerved left and hit the car dead on. the insurance companies deemed the client to be at fault because the car in front of him had the right of way.

all the facts may prove the obvious, but i guess even in cases like mine, anything goes.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Flick Montana

The thing I am interested in is the fact that the parking lane was considered a 2 way lane. He pulled out of his lane and into a lane he shouldn't have been in. Even though parking lanes aren't marked with yellow lines or anything, I wonder if that has any effect. I would definitely like to hear how this plays out.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
tylerxfire

id have to say ur guilty and will be found guilty...just seems like he has the right away being in front of u and he swung a wide turn yes but i mean he didn't do anything illegal and u will most likely be found at fault...sucks but u live and learn have fun with insurance in the future
Old 04-19-2009, 03:14 PM
foreveryoung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad he is just a farmer.If he was a dealer,he'd have to give you a new car
Old 04-19-2009, 03:23 PM
joshuaadude

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
id have to say ur guilty and will be found guilty...just seems like he has the right away being in front of u and he swung a wide turn yes but i mean he didn't do anything illegal and u will most likely be found at fault...sucks but u live and learn have fun with insurance in the future
that could be the case (hopefully not) but he didnt have his blinker on and he was stationary for a brief amount of time. i dont know i'll have to ask the apartment owners what their rules are on the lot.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:28 PM
tylerxfire

good luck man..hope it works out
Old 04-19-2009, 03:29 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by foreveryoung
Too bad he is just a farmer.If he was a dealer,he'd have to give you a new car
what kind of dealer u talking about...
Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 PM
joshuaadude

here are some pictures:

he got into an accident before and first he said i only bent the plastic part, but now hes claiming that i damaged the entire front bumper on the right side. i have yet to hear what he really reported to the insurance though.

heres my damage. i hope i can buff that out. i dont know what to do about the dent though.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:45 PM
foreveryoung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL.thatsa lot of damage on the truck to produce just a scuff on your car.You sure you didn't S#$t kick his truck after he hit you??
Old 04-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Flick Montana

Originally Posted by joshuaadude
that could be the case (hopefully not) but he didnt have his blinker on and he was stationary for a brief amount of time. i dont know i'll have to ask the apartment owners what their rules are on the lot.
First off, farmers don't use blinkers. Most don't even know what they are. Second, he was probably stationary while he turned the wheel 30 times since his power steering went out years ago.

In Indy, you'd be hanged.

Quick Reply: Got into an accident with my Z!