350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Need new top to order...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:08 AM
AreYouAMac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new top to order...

K GUYS - UPDATE - SEPTEMBER 1, 09

The Robbins top is way better than oem - looks better then OEM too. It's actual cloth

Process of taking off was easy - installing was iffy.

I would suggest reading the pdf of the diy on hear and also the instruction manuel BEFORE and DURING your install.

The ONLY problem that I have is - the top does not close all the way down to the tonnaue (sic?) - When I put it down the first time - it stops about 1/2 an inch from closing. Then I have to press the "close" button (putting the top back up )until the tonnaue goes up about 3 inches and then press the "open" button (putting the top back down) for it to close. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? What could cause this?

Also - more road noise is coming in - I guess I have to replace the rubber leather strips. Since it was stretched. The noise is coming from the side of the window (behind your ear) - Also the rubber strip is not touching the tonnaue in the back no more. ALTHOUGH from outside of the car it looks like the the rubber weatherstrip is touching - from the inside I can see light coming in.

Is the second bow suppose to be covered with the second cloth (the cloth that that attaches to roof with the vinyl)? I hope someone knows what I am talking about.

Pics included - you can see the 2nd bow isn't covered like the first.

_____

Dealership quoted me $2400, $1000 for top, $1400 for install

I've seen threads about topsonline.com for top replacement cloths. They have 2~ HV Denim (Twillweave) which they say is the factory material, and also Stayfast.

Now is the Stayfast the same cloths as on the bmw 6 series convertibles? I been trying to google it but nothing seems to pop up on what the material is. The top on the 6 series seems very thick and has a lot of padding which I think will help on the road noise our ZR has.

Here is the link on topsonline.com

And for those who live in Miami, any recommendations for a shop to install the top? Someone quoted me $1000 for the fabric and install, but he's in Orlando.

Last edited by AreYouAMac; 09-02-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:29 AM
AreYouAMac

I read on a thread that someone did it himself. Is there anyone who also attempted this? And how did it go? I'm pretty sure that I can tackle this down, as I got to know the top better after I lubricated the joints.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 PM
AreYouAMac

Bump.

125 people read and none of you guys need to reorder a new top? Damn, where are the ones who NEEDS to order a new one. Or did order and install it already?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 AM
spiechu

Did you order the top? I have the same promlem like you
Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 PM
AreYouAMac

Yea..look at my other thread. I just made.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the Robbins cloth top. I used the instruction posted on this forum and everything went smoothly. It took me about 6 hours though. The Robbins top is much nicer than OEM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 PM
laurentj23

Originally Posted by SHILOW
I ordered the Robbins cloth top. I used the instruction posted on this forum and everything went smoothly. It took me about 6 hours though. The Robbins top is much nicer than OEM.
how much is it??and where did u get it ?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:37 PM
cphan6778

Check with your local carmax, they quoted me about 1k for new top + install

Not sure if there is one in Miami
Old 08-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Zcool

I have a 2004 350 ZRoadster. I've had it since it was new. 60K trouble free miles and this is with the APS twin turbos (404 HP). I'm only now having a problem and that is with the rag top. It is starting to come apart at the right rear seam. No hole yet but I'm sure it won't be long. I also got a quote from the local convertible repair shop referred by the Nissan dealer. They want $2400 installed. I'll check out the self installation post and see if I'm up to it.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i need to replace mine too but i can't pay $2400
Old 08-24-2009, 05:19 AM
SHILOW

I purchased the Robbins top online for around $700. I got installation qoutes between $500 and $350. These other guys will probably stick you with the plastic top rather than the canvas which last longer and looks better. Once I was ready to get it installed I decided to try it myself first and if it didn't work out I could take it to the shop. Taking the top off is very simple. It took about 30 min. Installing the top took about 5 hours but I'm sure I will complete it faster next time. Two suggestions: tint the window before installation. When drilling the bow rivets, be sure to get all of them out of the bow. I have to listen to one rivet roll all the way across the bow when I turn left or right.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Zcool

Shilow, You're a better man than I. I took a look at the installation instructions and my eyes glazed over. No way would I have the skills or patience to tackle that job. I might save some money by buying the new top online and shoping around for the lowest installer.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
kenpo_350Z

What a rip. I have an 04 that has a tear in the right too. Its crazy how many people have trouble with them. I had an 01 S2000 and that top was so tough. I hope someone finds something good.

Any luck with tops off of ebay? I have seen them for around 500.00. I know you get what you pay for though.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

and this is why I traded my ZR in.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:37 PM
kenpo_350Z

Originally Posted by zand02max
and this is why I traded my ZR in.
What did you end up getting. Did you get rid of it because of a tear or you were just worried that it would tear?

Do you miss the ZR?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 AM
AreYouAMac

The Robbins top is way better than oem - looks better then OEM too. It's actual cloth

Process of taking off was easy - installing was iffy.

I would suggest reading the pdf of the diy on hear and also the instruction manuel BEFORE and DURING your install.

The ONLY problem that I have is - the top does not close all the way down to the tonnaue (sic?) - When I put it down the first time - it stops about 1/2 an inch from closing. Then I have to press the "close" button (putting the top back up )until the tonnaue goes up about 3 inches and then press the "open" button (putting the top back down) for it to close. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

Also - more road noise is coming in - I guess I have to replace the rubber leather strips. Since it was stretched. The noise is coming from the side of the window (behind your ear) - Also the rubber strip is not touching the tonnaue in the back no more. ALTHOUGH from outside of the car it looks like the the rubber weatherstrip is touching - from the inside I can see light coming in.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:07 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uh so you say the "robbins" top is way better than the OEM yet you have issues now closing it. How is that better? Also the OEM synthetic top is IMO a lot more durable than cloth.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:45 PM
AreYouAMac

I'm talking about the quality of the top - Not everyone else isn't having a problem with closing their top - I think that its the rubber weather strip that is in the way that is not letting it close.

If you believe the OEM top is more durable - then I can't argue with you there. Everyone has their own opinion. Just know that the top is vinyl and the inside lining is cloth/fabric. The important part is the outside - since its vinyl, it doesn't stretch like cloth.

When my top tore - the outer layer teared straight through, the bottom layer had little lining coming from the fabric. The robbins top is fully cloth - so it can stretch more than the vinyl. That's all I'm just saying - so you have your point and I have mine.

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
Uh so you say the "robbins" top is way better than the OEM yet you have issues now closing it. How is that better? Also the OEM synthetic top is IMO a lot more durable than cloth.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:36 PM
SHILOW

I put in my Robbins top a few weeks ago and it is better than OEM. I did have the same issues that you are refering to. The top has to stretch. I parked mine in the garage, and put the top in the open position over night. That helped with some of the stretching. I think the Texas heat may have helped also. These issues will go away with time.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 PM
SHILOW

You also may want to check the elastic bands that are connected to the bow. As the top opens, those bands pull the bow to help the top fold. Next time you open your top, try pushing the bow back to assist the elastic straps.

Quick Reply: Need new top to order...