Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Any roadster <MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Chasw1269

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $5K over MSRP & don't regret it. I got the first one in Nashville. I had originally been told MSRP when I put down the $500 deposit (in February!), but dealer owner became a real jerk when this one came in. I called all dealers from St Louis to Atlanta the day mine came in, and no one had any yet. All of them said between $5K & $7500 sticker premium when it does come in. I could have gotten a lot better deal by waiting, but it's supply & demand...and my demand was high, while the supply was low!

04 PPW auto, JWT pop charger, V1 detector, Crawford Z plenum & cross bar on order. Borla true dual & Crawford high flow cats are next after the plenum.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:29 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Chasw1269
I paid $5K over MSRP & don't regret it. I got the first one in Nashville. I had originally been told MSRP when I put down the $500 deposit (in February!), but dealer owner became a real jerk when this one came in. I called all dealers from St Louis to Atlanta the day mine came in, and no one had any yet. All of them said between $5K & $7500 sticker premium when it does come in. I could have gotten a lot better deal by waiting, but it's supply & demand...and my demand was high, while the supply was low!

04 PPW auto, JWT pop charger, V1 detector, Crawford Z plenum & cross bar on order. Borla true dual & Crawford high flow cats are next after the plenum.
So your the 1st one to get the roadster in your area. Congragulations: I hope you either paid cash or bought GAPP insurance. Because if you crash the car, you will not get near what you paid.

My question to you is this: WHY WOULD YOU PAY 1 dime over MSRP?

I know, because you want to be the first, but I can't believe you just throw away $ like that.

Not being rude, but this is a fine example why dealers overcharge: SOME PEOPLE PAY IT:

I hope your happy with your new Z, I just hate the fact they told you MSRP initially. Why didn't you walk???????

GL on your new Z. You will regret you paid 5K over MSRP come winter time.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:31 AM
DeZigner

Well Chasw, at least we know that old saying is true!
Old 10-17-2003, 09:51 AM
thumper90501

i paid 2k over MSRP...My choice was to order one and pay MSRP and WAIT, or pay 2k over MSRP and drive off with the car.

i said *** it...i want it now!

i looked at Irvine Nissan, Torrance Nissan, Las Vegas Nissan, Universal City Nissan and Glendale Nissan.

Only Universal had my car/options on the floor at the time...

...so for me, the extra 2k was worth not having to wait.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:00 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Its insane dealers can do this. Like I said on previous post's, the only Nissan dealer in CS, CO is charging $3K ADM for 04 hardtop's and $10K ADM for the roadsters.

I know its supply and demand, but hey, if you gotta have it, you will pay the high price.

Heck the MITS dealer here has the Evo's at $7K over MSRP. I saw a blue one with a DVD player, clear bra, and they wanted over $42K.

There are some dealers out there that are selling at or below MSRP.

I think charging over MSRP hurts the dealer in the long run. It does bring the masses in, to sell other vehicles in, but in my opinion it is FLAT WRONG and just pure GREED.

Delaers make enough dang $ from new ones and used ones, and especially the service and parts dept, why gouge more>>>because they can.

I need to quit hatin and open my own dealership up. LOL

Just my .02.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Chasw1269

Originally posted by zand02max
So your the 1st one to get the roadster in your area. Congragulations: I hope you either paid cash or bought GAPP insurance. Because if you crash the car, you will not get near what you paid.

My question to you is this: WHY WOULD YOU PAY 1 dime over MSRP?

I know, because you want to be the first, but I can't believe you just throw away $ like that.

Not being rude, but this is a fine example why dealers overcharge: SOME PEOPLE PAY IT:

I hope your happy with your new Z, I just hate the fact they told you MSRP initially. Why didn't you walk???????

GL on your new Z. You will regret you paid 5K over MSRP come winter time.
The air must be pretty thin in CO! If you are a bargain hunter, go to Walmart! As far as your question of Why pay a dime over MSRP, I've already answered that one...I wanted it when I wanted it, and i get what I want! Even if I have to pay for it.

By the way, I'm not sure what flea market you get your auto insurance from, but for a whopping extra $2 every six months (that's $4/year if you don't have your abacus available!) I'm covered for the sale price of my car through State Farm.

The term 'overcharge' is relative, it's how much you value the product your buying. I vowed to never pay even MSRP for any other vehicle I've ever bought, but this one was worth it to me. It's a shame you're not as passionate about your Z as I am, this is one hell of a vehicle. It has some flaws, but overall it's a well designed & thought out car.

As far as winter goes, not all of us live in a cold climate. When winter gets here (we rarely see sub 32 degree temps for more than 2 weeks all winter), I'll leave my Roadster in the garage & drive my Durango R/T 4x4.

I am happy with my Z, and thank you for your concern about my wallet!
Old 10-17-2003, 10:18 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Come on

Come on now. To each his/her own.

Some people are willing to pay thousands to be first. Other people spend hundreds of dollars on shoes. Some people buy expensive jewelry. What's the difference? You are paying money for how something makes you look and feel. If they have the money and it makes them happy then the money is well spent.

As for me, I decided to wait. My Roadster is due Oct 25th and I will be paying only MSRP. It might be a different story if my current car had died or something. In that case I would pay the extra price rather than buysing a car I dont want.

The only people who can mock those who pay over MSRP are people who NEVER spend extra on anything fancy or exclusive. I don't think there are too many monks posting here.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Chasw1269

Its insane dealers can do this. Like I said on previous post's, the only Nissan dealer in CS, CO is charging $3K ADM for 04 hardtop's and $10K ADM for the roadsters.

I know its supply and demand, but hey, if you gotta have it, you will pay the high price.

Heck the MITS dealer here has the Evo's at $7K over MSRP. I saw a blue one with a DVD player, clear bra, and they wanted over $42K.

There are some dealers out there that are selling at or below MSRP.

I think charging over MSRP hurts the dealer in the long run. It does bring the masses in, to sell other vehicles in, but in my opinion it is FLAT WRONG and just pure GREED.

Delaers make enough dang $ from new ones and used ones, and especially the service and parts dept, why gouge more>>>because they can.

I need to quit hatin and open my own dealership up. LOL

Just my .02.
I'll buy from you if you open your own dealer!

Business is business man, I don't like paying it anymore than you do, but it's a free market society!
Old 10-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Chasw1269

Default Re: Come on

Originally posted by AndyB
Come on now. To each his/her own.

Some people are willing to pay thousands to be first. Other people spend hundreds of dollars on shoes. Some people buy expensive jewelry. What's the difference? You are paying money for how something makes you look and feel. If they have the money and it makes them happy then the money is well spent.

As for me, I decided to wait. My Roadster is due Oct 25th and I will be paying only MSRP. It might be a different story if my current car had died or something. In that case I would pay the extra price rather than buysing a car I dont want.

The only people who can mock those who pay over MSRP are people who NEVER spend extra on anything fancy or exclusive. I don't think there are too many monks posting here.
Thanks Andy!

What model/color do you have on order?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:26 PM
ShaftEd

Got one of the first Z Roadsters (blk on blk Touring, 5AT) in San Diego on 7/30/03. Mossy Nissan in El Cajon only does MSRP no matter which car it is. Most other non Mossy Nissan dealers in this area are adding $5k on top.

I did however purchase the extended warranty(can't remember how much though), which is a bit of a ripoff, but I was so happy to be getting the car at MSRP that I didn't mind paying for the warranty. Plus, wether I use it or not, it does help resale later.

No, I did not get any of the paint protection or interior protection stuff. Total rip and I didn't want anyone messing with the new Z.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:43 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally posted by Chasw1269
The air must be pretty thin in CO! If you are a bargain hunter, go to Walmart! As far as your question of Why pay a dime over MSRP, I've already answered that one...I wanted it when I wanted it, and i get what I want! Even if I have to pay for it.

By the way, I'm not sure what flea market you get your auto insurance from, but for a whopping extra $2 every six months (that's $4/year if you don't have your abacus available!) I'm covered for the sale price of my car through State Farm.

The term 'overcharge' is relative, it's how much you value the product your buying. I vowed to never pay even MSRP for any other vehicle I've ever bought, but this one was worth it to me. It's a shame you're not as passionate about your Z as I am, this is one hell of a vehicle. It has some flaws, but overall it's a well designed & thought out car.

As far as winter goes, not all of us live in a cold climate. When winter gets here (we rarely see sub 32 degree temps for more than 2 weeks all winter), I'll leave my Roadster in the garage & drive my Durango R/T 4x4.

I am happy with my Z, and thank you for your concern about my wallet!
I might get flamed for this one, but I don't give a rats a$$. The old saying goes, "Theres a sucker born every minute" And you my friend, just got suckered.

That dealer offered you a deal at MSRP, you should have got that in writing when initially spoken too.

Its people like you that make dealers jack up the prices of these vehicles. GET IT, if no one pays the markup, then the dealer will not put one on.

I am not trying to start something here, but you my friend, got suckered.

And no, I don't have flea market insurance. The company is called USAA which has millions of members. I tried STATE FARM, they wanted double what USAA is charging me. And I am sure I have all the perks you have, but I am sure a few more.

And I'll tell you something, State Farm aint paying you what you paid for that vehicle, not for no $4 dollars a year. Come on get real, dude. THEY WILL PAY WHAT THE VALUE of the vehicle is, not a ridculous markup of $5K.

So to end this drama, I will add one last thing.

You missed out on a supercharger or $5K worth of goodies for your car.

YOU STATED they quoted MSRP, why back down and let them win.

Nuff said, enjoy your overpriced roadster, I'm sure you can afford to have someone take your $5K. I myself, can never see that, no matter how rich I am.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:50 PM
saizzz

Economics 101: Supply and Demand

C'mon there are people out there willing to pay more than MSRP to own a car in limited suppy. Blaming the people buying is like saying people purchasing homes are making real estate prices go up.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:21 PM
Chasw1269

I might get flamed for this one, but I don't give a rats a$$. The old saying goes, "Theres a sucker born every minute" And you my friend, just got suckered.

That dealer offered you a deal at MSRP, you should have got that in writing when initially spoken too.

Its people like you that make dealers jack up the prices of these vehicles. GET IT, if no one pays the markup, then the dealer will not put one on.

I am not trying to start something here, but you my friend, got suckered.

And no, I don't have flea market insurance. The company is called USAA which has millions of members. I tried STATE FARM, they wanted double what USAA is charging me. And I am sure I have all the perks you have, but I am sure a few more.

And I'll tell you something, State Farm aint paying you what you paid for that vehicle, not for no $4 dollars a year. Come on get real, dude. THEY WILL PAY WHAT THE VALUE of the vehicle is, not a ridculous markup of $5K.

So to end this drama, I will add one last thing.

You missed out on a supercharger or $5K worth of goodies for your car.

YOU STATED they quoted MSRP, why back down and let them win.

Nuff said, enjoy your overpriced roadster, I'm sure you can afford to have someone take your $5K. I myself, can never see that, no matter how rich I am.
No drama here son! But, just so you know, USAA insurance(based in San Antonio, TX..catering to & made their money on military & their families) is a good company..but a good friend of mine had an accident a few years ago & got the runaround from them when he went to make a claim. He eventually was taken care of, but shouldn't have been treated the way he was. State Farm is the cheapest I can find out there for me, but I'm old with a good driving record, and been with them for nearly 20 years, so I'm on a good rate. Also, they pay out claims quick with no questions asked. In the span of 3 mos. in Houston, TX a few years ago I had to make claims for vandalism, fire, and the theft of my 6 month old Wellcraft Scarab (!, if it isn't locked down with an armed guard in Houston..it's gone!), and they never batted an eye. Incidentally, the MSRP on the boat was almost $7500 less than what I made them pay me for it (due to a few 'goodies' & some outrageous mark up to avoid an 8 month wait to take delivery of that particular model/engines combo). The extra $4 I referred to is your 'gap' insurance.

I've never gotten out of a car what I put into it anyway. vehicles are, by definition, a depreciating asset. I just enjoy them & don't worry about the money I'm not getting back out of it...life's too short for that.

You have a right to your opinion, I have a right to mine. I don't feel it was overpriced, but you do. Just remember, opinions are like a**holes..everyone one of us have one, and they all stink!!

Good luck with your vehicles & enjoy them, that's what they're there for.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:13 PM
350zRoadster04

Anyone paying over MSRP really wants the car. What's wrong with that? If someone can afford to pay more, that's their business. Dealer's will eventually stop charging extra for the Z, but for now most are...and that's reality.

I commend you for letting everyone know that you paid $5K over MSRP. It's really no one's business, but at least you're honest enough to stand up and say that you did. As long as you feel it is money well-spent, that's great.

Enjoy your ZR.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:41 AM
Chasw1269

Originally posted by 350zRoadster04
Anyone paying over MSRP really wants the car. What's wrong with that? If someone can afford to pay more, that's their business. Dealer's will eventually stop charging extra for the Z, but for now most are...and that's reality.

I commend you for letting everyone know that you paid $5K over MSRP. It's really no one's business, but at least you're honest enough to stand up and say that you did. As long as you feel it is money well-spent, that's great.

Enjoy your ZR.
Thanks, 350zroadster04. After having this car for the last 2.5 months, I know I'd spend the money again. This car gets a ton of attention and is just a pleasure to drive. I chose it over the 03 Corvette & am very glad I did. Even with the MSRP +, it's a great value when compared to some of the other vehicles I was considering.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Escrime

Nissan of Fife near Seattle is offering them below MSRP. Just contact the internet sales manager, Steve Perovich. He is really helpful...
Old 10-20-2003, 11:11 AM
ephilyawjr

Default MSP - Out the Door

Old 10-20-2003, 12:47 PM
CENTEX HOKIE

Default Slightly off MSRP

Got a deal that was $1,000 off of MSRP. Wanted to order a Daytona Blue Touring, but settled for a silver Enthusiast. Dealer thought that he would give up more to find a trade from another dealer.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:29 PM
john.laninga

I bought mine at $1,500 below MSRP. But, I bought it sight unseen via the Internet, although I had about 7 to choose from after I flew to Miami to look at them. However, the windshield carried a different story, about $5,000 over MSRP for the ridiculous dealer addons, including $2,999 "availability fee". That is forwalk in customers.

I feel I got a great deal. I paid cash since the best they could do was 3.5%. No arguments, no hard sell, no nothing. If you're interested in how and where I did this send me your email and I'll let you know.

BTW, this is from a reputable dealer who has about 12 ZRs in stock, most of them 6MT.

John
Old 10-20-2003, 04:15 PM
mwest300zx

Paid MSRP, got first one delivered to my dealer at end of Aug., but they discounted extended warranty. Paid only $500 for 7 yr., 100k warranty. Usually goes for around $1500.Black on black 6 spd. Touring.
MWest300zxroadster/350zroadster

Quick Reply: Any roadster <MSRP?