Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

noise proofing/awesome ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 06:05 AM
slimsol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise proofing/awesome ride

I have 350z roadster. i insulated some part of car (underneath carpet on driver side and passenger side) with fiberglass and now the car is as quite as buick. I can even talk on phone while i m driving top down. I am planning to insulate the trunk today
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

how sad to compare a Z to a buick........in any form.........

im fugg'n with ya........................
-J

no but for real
Old 05-03-2010, 06:47 AM
FineWine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before everyone jumps in this thread with the "cool story, bro!" pics, I have a legit question:

Did you just lay fiberglass cloth (without resin, obviously) under the upholstery?
Old 05-03-2010, 06:59 AM
c0ld29

I'm curious as to what exactly you did also.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:26 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

no but for real........

I have seen people strip cars (not just the Z roadster) but others and have the floor sheet metal line-X'd/rhino lined/or hand rolled bedliner in a gallon stuff used and really help eliminate noise.

automakers do this sort of thing with adhearing asphalt to combat the sound resonated off the street....

if you notice that the 350z has the "rear" fender wheel well already lined with a coating from the factory to aid in this.....rubberized coating...

-J
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 AM
FineWine

Yeah, sound deadening works wonders. I'm curious to the OPs method because it sounds like he did it without adhesive. That would be optimal for me...since I might want to turn my car into a track car down the road, but plan on sound deadening it in the short term.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:43 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't done my floorboards yet and I have just enough dynamat to do it... didn't think it made that big of a difference.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:45 AM
slimsol

Originally Posted by FineWine
Before everyone jumps in this thread with the "cool story, bro!" pics, I have a legit question:

Did you just lay fiberglass cloth (without resin, obviously) under the upholstery?
Fiberglass cloth on upholstery? I didnt understand your question. I removed the carpet and inserted fiberglass layer( it was 3 inches thick and very light weight, Kinda looked like cotton.) I also removed rear subwoofer cover and packed that area.

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
how sad to compare a Z to a buick........in any form.........

im fugg'n with ya........................
-J

no but for real
Ha ha. my roadster had so much road noise, wind noise, tire noise which irritates me on highway. i cant even listen to music with all that interference. I like my car now ( it has quietness of buick while power and looks of a Z lol)
Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by slimsol
Ha ha. my roadster had so much road noise, wind noise, tire noise which irritates me on highway. i cant even listen to music with all that interference. I like my car now ( it has quietness of buick while power and looks of a Z lol)
LOL...

ya im going through this right now as well, not a Z but a saturn sky. my wife's......she wants me to do noise reduction mods and im like...

-J
Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 AM
FineWine

Fiberglass cloth on upholstery? I didnt understand your question. I removed the carpet and inserted fiberglass layer( it was 3 inches thick and very light weight, Kinda looked like cotton.) I also removed rear subwoofer cover and packed that area.
You answered my question
Old 05-03-2010, 08:10 AM
slimsol

LOL...

ya im going through this right now as well, not a Z but a saturn sky. my wife's......she wants me to do noise reduction mods and im like...

-J
you should definitely try something like this. i have a question for you as you drive both sky and a Z. which one u like better? i had 2 make a choice between a sky redline and Z but ended up buying a Z.

you live in dallas area? Roads are a lot smoother there. man i miss doing 120 mph at 2o clock in morning on i-635
Old 05-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Romanteni

Can you please post pics? And anyone seen good tips on how to get this done? I really want this on my Z, roads here in WA are HORRIBLE, I mean most of you know how pain in the *** it is when you can't talk on phone while driving a coupe lol...
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

you should definitely try something like this. i have a question for you as you drive both sky and a Z. which one u like better? i had 2 make a choice between a sky redline and Z but ended up buying a Z.

you live in dallas area? Roads are a lot smoother there. man i miss doing 120 mph at 2o clock in morning on i-635
My completely unbiased decision is the Z.......

The sky redline i understand has power and some magazines have rated the "redline Sky" to beat an NA 350z, but i would prefer the Z....still... a much more enthusiast based plat form with way more aftermarket support....

I enjoy driving the sky here and there, but i would rather be in the Z hands down....redline or not, doesn't matter..

there is also the matter of space......not much at all in the sky...trunk is horrible...elbow room is horrible too inside the cab as well.

I must also say, the quality of car is horrible in comparison to the Z as well.

interior and components, the sky uses so many dammn gm parts I had to replace a door handle recently because it broke, was 50 bucks and waste of time........c-mon, the dammn door handle....

350z VQ over the Ecotech, sure the ecotech is a nifty engine, but doesnt compete with the VQ in reliability.

wheel selection is horrible on the sky, poop 5x110 pattern and horrible offset....I have actually sourced a machine shop that will build me 5x114.3 bolt pattern hubs for the sky...

none of this even brings to light track capabilities and aftermarket support if you go that route as well.........

Yes, i live in DFW......i love the roads here and many highways!

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 05-03-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 AM
slimsol

I didnt take pics during the procedure but you can find pics in other threads. I used fiberglass sheets from lowes there were cheap. get thick ones they prevent noise more efficiently
Old 05-03-2010, 11:41 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My completely unbiased decision is the Z.......

The sky redline i understand has power and some magazines have rated the "redline Sky" to beat an NA 350z, but i would prefer the Z....still... a much more enthusiast based plat form with way more aftermarket support....

I enjoy driving the sky here and there, but i would rather be in the Z hands down....redline or not, doesn't matter..

there is also the matter of space......not much at all in the sky...trunk is horrible...elbow room is horrible too inside the cab as well.

I must also say, the quality of car is horrible in comparison to the Z as well.

interior and components, the sky uses so many dammn gm parts I had to replace a door handle recently because it broke, was 50 bucks and waste of time........c-mon, the dammn door handle....

350z VQ over the Ecotech, sure the ecotech is a nifty engine, but doesnt compete with the VQ in reliability.

wheel selection is horrible on the sky, poop 5x110 pattern and horrible offset....I have actually sourced a machine shop that will build me 5x114.3 bolt pattern hubs for the sky...

none of this even brings to light track capabilities and aftermarket support if you go that route as well.........

Yes, i live in DFW......i love the roads here and many highways!

-J
I test drove a Solstice 2.4l and a Sky Redline (as well as a few other roadsters and convertibles) before finally choosing the 350zr. No offense to anyone who owns one, but other than the looks (which in my opinion the Sky is the best looking roadster out there) there are no redeeming qualities about them.
Steering is sloppy, 5 speed manny transmission is horrid, the engine makes decent power (the 2.0l turbo) but is very loud, and not in a good way. More like in a "Ive slipped a bearing and still gonna drive it" way.
The interior was roomy enough, but the fit and finish were typical Chevy Cavalier - creaky, rattle prone and just cheap looking.
And the Redline I drove had less than 100 miles - the Solstice was over a 1000 if I remember correctly.

The manual top sucks too - cant even open/close it without getting out of the car. The Miata soft top was 1,000,000x better and was still manual.

Walked away and never looked back on them - very disappointing.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by myork
I test drove a Solstice 2.4l and a Sky Redline (as well as a few other roadsters and convertibles) before finally choosing the 350zr. No offense to anyone who owns one, but other than the looks (which in my opinion the Sky is the best looking roadster out there) there are no redeeming qualities about them.
Steering is sloppy, 5 speed manny transmission is horrid, the engine makes decent power (the 2.0l turbo) but is very loud, and not in a good way. More like in a "Ive slipped a bearing and still gonna drive it" way.
The interior was roomy enough, but the fit and finish were typical Chevy Cavalier - creaky, rattle prone and just cheap looking.
And the Redline I drove had less than 100 miles - the Solstice was over a 1000 if I remember correctly.

The manual top sucks too - cant even open/close it without getting out of the car. The Miata soft top was 1,000,000x better and was still manual.

I AGREE WITH ALL YOU WROTE....!!!

My wife wanted the sky because of the looks of the sky roadster!

-J
Old 05-03-2010, 11:58 AM
slimsol

LOL...

-J
Originally Posted by Romanteni
Can you please post pics? And anyone seen good tips on how to get this done? I really want this on my Z, roads here in WA are HORRIBLE, I mean most of you know how pain in the *** it is when you can't talk on phone while driving a coupe lol...
Originally Posted by myork

I AGREE WITH ALL YOU WROTE....!!!

My wife wanted the sky because of the looks of the sky roadster!

-J
Thanks guys,
the only reason i put sky redline into consideration is bcoz of its 0-60 timing. Which is 5.4 seconds.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:49 PM
AML225

Sound deadening? How do I make mine louder!!!!

I love when you go over a sandy road in the Z you can hear all that stuff getting kicked up. I hate that it means my car is getting dirty but I love the... raw (for lack of a better word) feeling.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:00 PM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AML225

I love when you go over a sandy road in the Z you can hear all that stuff getting kicked up. I hate that it means my car is getting dirty but I love the... raw (for lack of a better word) feeling.
I think you need a dune buggy not a z lol!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Originally Posted by AML225

Me to, hell a dirty parking lot you can hear every rock that gets picked up and tossed by the tires. Reminds me of my race bikes.

Quick Reply: noise proofing/awesome ride