Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

How to use TIPTRONIC

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
ginobetterfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
couldn't be further from the truth. very expensive mindset to take on.
i know what youre saying... when i was learning to use the mode, there were def instances where i would downshift at the wrong time and the car didnt like it, and it was clear (to me) that it was the wrong move... so as long as you dont keep making the mistake over and over again you should be fine... i could be wrong, but i do not think a ONE time mistake, whatever it may be (too early a downshift in high rpms, late upshift, whatever) would be fatal to the tranny...

Last edited by ginobetterfly; 06-07-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by Entaille

try to avoid downshifting, especially going from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st, it's hard on the transmission. save it for passing cars and being on the track. don't be an idiot and try to downshift when you're already high up in the rpms. recipe for disaster.
This is good advice... i also think from 4th to 3rd is a tough downshift... 5th to 4th however, seems very smooth (do it all the time on freeway)
Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM
marchockey13

alright well here is EXACTLY what it says in the 350z manual :

gear 1: use when climbing steep hills slowly or driving slowly through deep snow , mud or sand , for maximum engine braking on steep downhill grades

gear 2 and 3: use for hill climbing or engine braking on downhill grades.

gear 4: for driving up or down long slopes where engine braking would be advantageous.

gear 5 : use this position for all normal forward driving.

When i read that, in my head it basically means that it must always be on gear 5 if i dont go on hills or other stuff like that ... What the hell ?

If i am leaving home, on a residential street, then i get on the boulevard, and get on the highway. All of these are ''normal forward driving'', so when the hell should i not be on gear 5 ?????
Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marchockey13

gear 1: use when climbing steep hills slowly or driving slowly through deep snow , mud or sand , for maximum engine braking on steep downhill grades

gear 4: for driving up or down long slopes where engine braking would be advantageous.

When i read that, in my head it basically means that it must always be on gear 5 if i dont go on hills or other stuff like that ... What the hell ?

If i am leaving home, on a residential street, then i get on the boulevard, and get on the highway. All of these are ''normal forward driving'', so when the hell should i not be on gear 5 ?????
I think we've explained it throughly.

The manual is not very clear in the directions and I would suggest you ignore it.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM
marchockey13

yeah i also thought that the manual wwas extremely unclear...

Well my friend really explained it to me and i would like you guys to confirm please... :

- the only time where you would shift many times in a row is after you stopped at a light or whatever, because it goes to gear 1, meaning you have to go back to the gear you need...

- lets say your on a boulevard, you are on gear 3 ... (50-60 km an hour) . You are getting on the highway, so you go to gear 4 to accelerate, and once your on the highway you go to gear 5... And you stay at gear 5, unless you wanna pass some dude at one point, but you dont have to...

- you dont have to downshift... you will have to if you get off the highway, then you probably wanna go back to 3

you guys agree?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:58 PM
ginobetterfly

maybe you should just leave it in "D"...
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You will be fine with practice. In the manual mode you will shift by feel. Up shift too soon and the motor will “dog.”

Downshift at the wrong time at the RPM will jump. You will learn automatically not to do it again.

On just put it in “D” and cruise.

Last edited by davidv; 06-07-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

jesus you are doomed
Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Edg_R

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol, like we said. Leave it in D for a few months. And don't shift down.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 PM
davidv

That will work. You might downshift to accelerate or slow the car. Just like a manual transmission only no clutch.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:08 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

If you want control of your trans, sell the cheerleader car and buy a stick.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:15 PM
NewJoyZ

You should stick to changing gears on the handlebars...
Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 PM
davidv

- lets say your on a boulevard, you are on gear 3 ... (50-60 km an hour) . You are getting on the highway, so you go to gear 4 to accelerate, and once your on the highway you go to gear 5...
Kind of. In 3rd gear you will eventually reach redline - then you must shift to 4th.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Edg_R

Originally Posted by terrasmak
If you want control of your trans, sell the cheerleader car and buy a stick.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM
G353535

Originally Posted by phreaktor
Don't forget to take your foot off the gas before shifting so everyone thinks you have a manual.

phreak (does this)

But for OP when you use gear shift in manual mode, you need to put foot on the gas because the speed of gear change will be decided by position of the pedal.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:23 PM
350LowLife

It's really a good thing you didn't get the 6MT...you're having way too much trouble figuring out a transmission that does the work already.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 PM
marchockey13

My friend helped me and here is what he concluded :

my friend really explained it to me and i would like you guys to confirm please... :

- the only time where you would shift many times in a row is after you stopped at a light or whatever, because it goes to gear 1, meaning you have to go back to the gear you need...

- lets say your on a boulevard, you are on gear 3 ... (50-60 km an hour) . You are getting on the highway, so you go to gear 4 to accelerate, and once your on the highway you go to gear 5... And you stay at gear 5, unless you wanna pass some dude at one point, but you dont have to...

- you dont have to downshift... you will have to if you get off the highway, then you probably wanna go back to 3

you guys agree? (we re talking basics here... And for the ones complaining that i should shut up and not use it, get the f out of here, its a forum, and i didnt say i will go out tonight and try it, i am saying i want to know the basics and i will learn with experience) thanks.

Last edited by marchockey13; 06-07-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM
R3belzBRN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it all depends on ur driving style. for gas efficiency just leave it in the 'D' mode.

i wud usually leave it in 'D' mode during city driving and cruising. but when m in the mood of driving fast then ill use the semi.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:43 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Just go play grand turismo or some other game in man mode, you may get a better basis and not destroy your car.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Edg_R

My friend helped me and here is what he concluded :

my friend really explained it to me and i would like you guys to confirm please... :

you guys agree? (we re talking basics here... And for the ones complaining that i should shut up and not use it, get the f out of here, its a forum, and i didnt say i will go out tonight and try it, i am saying i want to know the basics and i will learn with experience) thanks.
I'm saying you should try it out in D first. And learn to listen to your car. I don't look at the RPMs when shifting up/down any more. I know my car, and I can tell when I need to shift. Its probably easier to learn if you turn the music off and drive in D at first, then once you get the hang of when your car shifts, go ahead and switch to M mode and try it for yourself. Turn off the music though, it helps a lot to hear what your car is doing.
You don't have to shift at 3.5RPMs either, it can be before that, or it can be almost at redline. It depends on what you're doing.
When I'm cruising, I shift up as quickly as possible and then try to stay in 5th.

The gear the car is in is on the small display under the RPMs.

Quick Reply: How to use TIPTRONIC