Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

How to use TIPTRONIC

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:48 PM
marchockey13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Just go play grand turismo or some other game in man mode, you may get a better basis and not destroy your car.
it wouldnt destroy the car buddy
Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Edg_R

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marchockey13
it wouldnt destroy the car buddy
Lol try downshifting while in high RPMs from 3rd to 2nd.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:51 PM
marchockey13

Originally Posted by midtx350z
Lol try downshifting while in high RPMs from 3rd to 2nd.
i wont downshift unless im getting off the highway ...

if i get off the highway i will go to 4 and stay like that until i get on even smaller streets.

If anything, ill just push it back to the D mode
Old 06-07-2010, 06:59 PM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want speed, gears 2-4 is your choice. 5th gear is overdrive and for gas efficiency and fuel economy. How old are you btw?

Scenario:

you driving on a normal street minding your own business. Street is empty with no traffic and there is no traffic lights for 1/4 mile away. Suddenly, a ricer honda/civic/Scion was next to you and want to race. What you want to do before the race is switch to M mode, it will automatically downshift to 4th gear, you normally can race in 4th but for even more speed, press down on the stick so it would downshift 3rd then floor the gas. When the tachometer's needle reach 6000rpm, press up to up-shift to 4th and same for 5th. Redline is 6500rpm but there is a slightly delay in automatic so do it shifting before that will actually shift the tranny at 6500rpm.

You can also downshift manually to save your brake pads and make it last longer by tap on the shifter. You will feel the car slowing down without pressing the brake pad. Dont go from 2nd -> 1st at high speed or you will feel the jerk. Only downshift from 5 -> 4 -> 3 -> 2

Last edited by *ICE*; 06-07-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Edg_R

i wont downshift unless im getting off the highway ...

if i get off the highway i will go to 4 and stay like that until i get on even smaller streets.

If anything, ill just push it back to the D mode
Don't worry about downshifting, bud. Even if you're getting off the highway. As long as you use your brakes, the car will shift down by itself.

Even if you push it back to D, while you're getting off the highway, you'll still be in 5th. Its not until you push the pedal that the car will actually shift down by itself to go faster.
If you have it in manual mode, it's YOUR job to do this.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Edg_R

Originally Posted by *ICE*
if you want speed, gears 2-4 is your choice. 5th gear is overdrive and for gas efficiency and fuel economy. How old are you btw?

Scenario:

you driving on a normal street mining your own business. Street is empty with no traffic and there is no traffic lights for 1/4 mile away. Suddenly, a ricer honda/civic/Scion was next to you and want to race. What you want to do before the race is switch to M mode, it will automatically downshift to 4th gear, you normally can race in 4th but for even more speed, press down on the stick so it would downshift 3rd then floor the gas. When the tachometer's needle reach 6000rpm, press up to up-shift to 4th and same for 5th. Redline is 6500rpm but there is a slightly delay in automatic so do it shifting before that will actually shift the tranny at 6500rpm.

You can also downshift manually to save your brake pads and make it last longer by tap on the shifter. You will feel the car slowing down without pressing the brake pad. Dont go from 2nd -> 1st at high speed or you will feel the jerk. Only downshift from 5 -> 4 -> 3 -> 2
Oh lord haha. The kid doesnt know how to drive stick or semi auto. And he just got his Z. He shouldnt be thinking about getting anywhere close to redlining above 4th gear.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 PM
marchockey13

Originally Posted by *ICE*

Scenario:

you driving on a normal street minding your own business. Street is empty with no traffic and there is no traffic lights for 1/4 mile away. Suddenly, a ricer honda/civic/Scion was next to you and want to race. What you want to do before the race is switch to M mode, it will automatically downshift to 4th gear, you normally can race in 4th but for even more speed, press down on the stick so it would downshift 3rd then floor the gas. When the tachometer's needle reach 6000rpm, press up to up-shift to 4th and same for 5th. Redline is 6500rpm but there is a slightly delay in automatic so do it shifting before that will actually shift the tranny at 6500rpm.

thanks alot. But can you please give me an other scenario, a sort of typical route scenario, lets say im not racing (cuz i wont, especially not now) ...

Lets say i am on a small residential street, then i get on a boulevard, then i get on the highway and stay there for about 10 minutes, then i get off and go back in smaller streets... Can you give me a scenario using that situation please ? I d really appreciate
Old 06-07-2010, 07:40 PM
*ICE*

thanks alot. But can you please give me an other scenario, a sort of typical route scenario, lets say im not racing (cuz i wont, especially not now) ...

Lets say i am on a small residential street, then i get on a boulevard, then i get on the highway and stay there for about 10 minutes, then i get off and go back in smaller streets... Can you give me a scenario using that situation please ? I d really appreciate
your goal in the tiptronic is to select the gears you want base on the situation you want, just like a manual. Typically, you want to maximize fuel economy by using the highest gear, 5th in an automatic. So when you drive in M, try to go to 5th gear always or when possible. Only downshift to slow down or when you want to go fast. And remember to upshift between 2500rpm - 3000rpm. Anything higher is wasting gas.

you said "Lets say i am on a small residential street, then i get on a boulevard, then i get on the highway and stay there for about 10 minutes, then i get off and go back in smaller streets". In this case, the best thing to do is stay below 3000rpm. Watch the tachometer.

each number represent 1000rpm. So 2 = 2000rpm, 3 = 3000rpm, etc...

Back to your situation. Small street, 20-30mph, max gear is 4th. Get on boulevard, try to shift to 5th gear below 3000rpm, stay there always. When you get on ramp for highway, what most people do is downshift to 4th or 3rd to get more power then press on gas slowly to speed up. When your on the highway, upshift to 5th and stay there. When you exit highway, the tranny will automatically downshift for you. When you get into smaller streets, just remember to upshift between 2500rpm-3000rpm.

Shifting back and forth can be tiresome for some people so they just leave in D mode and drive away..
Old 06-07-2010, 07:43 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

just leave it in drive

and yes a clueless person could hurt a car, holding high rpms for extended periods, overheating the eng , trans etc etc. But most of us know what we're doing, i drive my families G with the flappy stick thing once and a while, most the time i leave it in Drive.

The flappy stick is actually pretty lame, and my mom is still pissed that my dad bought her a G with a slushbox.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you shouldnt be driving.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:13 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
You don't have a Titptronic. Porsches have Tiptronics. You have an automatic transmission.
Not very knowledgeable on this subject, eh?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Edg_R

Lol I feel like he's fukin with us. With all these scenarios.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM
makopolo

I hope he is trolling...........

whats with all of you shifting at 3k, you have another 2000 rpm for things to get better.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Edg_R

Originally Posted by HDPDZO6
Not very knowledgeable on this subject, eh?
Xtronics for Nissan
Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by midtx350z
Xtronics for Nissan
Which is just about the same thing. They are both automatic transmissions.

Last edited by HDPDZO6; 06-07-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:42 PM
DB350

Originally Posted by terrasmak
If you want control of your trans, sell the cheerleader car and buy a stick.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:13 PM
stevehl

I think its a z tronic haha. Anyways, this thread was actually really informative. Especially the two posts from ICE. I too have an auto, but never played with the manual mode, only because I tried it once, and thought I was breaking the engine haha. My friends with manuals downshift instead of using the brake, which I thought was pretty neat. I tried downshifting while in manual mode in my z, and all it did was make the rpms shoot up even though I wasn't applying gas. Thats when i stopped playing with it lol
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

jesus this thread makes me realize why AT owners are shat on repeatedly
Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 PM
209Z33

i thought the basics rule of going fast were: Redline shift redline shift
Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 PM
temoku

lol this thread. u shift when you're HP peaks, which may or may not be at redline

Quick Reply: How to use TIPTRONIC