Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster
View Poll Results: Detachable hard top?
Yes
90.91%
No
9.09%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Attention Nissan! Detachable Hardtop Requested!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 08:04 PM
RANDY350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention Nissan! Detachable Hardtop Requested!

I absolutley think the Z roadster is one bad *** machine! But I feel and I think most who will be reading this agree that the roadster needs to have a OEM hardtop availible! If you have any thought or want to reply to the poll I listed please do so! Maybe if Nissan NA sees the interest maybe we can have luck that they may devolp one in the next two years, unless they are already doing it! Please take the poll!
Old 12-14-2003, 08:28 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Let's not have this thing ultra expensive either!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:39 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nice

I would really like a removable hard top but I have one concern.

How good/bad would it be to store the soft top folded down all Winter?
Old 12-15-2003, 07:23 AM
noel48

I had a hardtop on my Miata and having the soft top down all winter was not a problem.There were more wrinkles but after a couple of hours in the sun the top looked good.BTW,the top was cloth.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

I would remove the hard top and winter store with the soft top up.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:40 AM
AndyB

Default Winter

Originally posted by Paul_BB_Guy
I would remove the hard top and winter store with the soft top up.
I drive all Winter. That is WHY I want the hadtop.

I don't drive the Z in snow or on salty roads, but I do drive it all Winter. I can't really stand not driving it for months.

My Durango is fun (in the snow) but it ain't no Z !
Old 12-17-2003, 04:56 PM
E.F. VaBeach

We put the detachable hardtop on my wife's 500SL every winter after cleaning and making sure the canvas top and plastic rear window are completely dry (clouding over is the danger here). After four months or so in the down position under the hard rear tonneau (just like the Z's), it comes back out looking just like it was lowered.

The Z's top would have no problems wintering under - it's got a glass rear window and the top material is a newer, more resilient synthetic fabric.

I'd buy a 350Z hard top in a flash - especially if it incorporated a subtle "double bubble" look like the tonneau's speedster humps.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:16 PM
AndyB

Originally posted by E.F. VaBeach
I'd buy a 350Z hard top in a flash - especially if it incorporated a subtle "double bubble" look like the tonneau's speedster humps.
Oh man, a subtle double bubble would be SUPER sweet.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:21 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

Hey, good idea E.F! That might look ultra funky!
Old 12-20-2003, 04:40 AM
Twizt

Funny thing, I would want a hardtop here in Florida, but I'd use mine in the summer. That is when it is too hot to have the top down, and I want to save my ragtop from the nasty UV beasties.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:07 AM
yellowandfast

I agree with Twizt.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:40 PM
zmann

I think I'd consider it. However, I'm not sure how many months out of the year I'd really have it in place. I'm just outside of Nashville, and I had my top down just a couple days ago. I keep it in the garage, and where I work, we have covered parking. I guess if either of those conditions were different for me, I'd be more geeked about this. However, I will go on record as having a strong interest and so long as one would not be terribly expensive, and I have no sense of how much these might cost, I'd probably do it.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:35 PM
RANDY350Z

Plus I think it would look sweet! I wish I had jumped on a hardtop before rading in my S2000 this year. Now, I am trading it in or terminating the lease in the next few months to get a roadster. I am having sports car withdrawl Any way, I may end up waiting till 2005 and hopefully one will be out. Every time I get a first model year sports car, I regret it because w/ in the nest two years manufactures come out w/ nice changes!
Old 12-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much does a new hardtop cost for the honda s2000? (fully painted)
Old 12-30-2003, 04:37 PM
HVN N HEL

I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting a removable hardtop.

For me I knew I wanted a Z, but spent a l-o-n-g time deciding between the coupe and roadster. I went with the roadster because of its rarity compared to the coupe, the fact I can drive it year round (sunny SoCal), and figured it would be easy to upgrade to a new coupe at anytime.

For those of you familiar with hardtops, does the roadster have sufficent connection points for a hardtop to be securely attached?

For all you aftermarket fabricators out there, there's 50 people and counting interested in the hardtop so far...
Old 12-30-2003, 04:43 PM
HVN N HEL

Oops, did I say "upgrade?"
Old 12-31-2003, 07:36 AM
SteveSimmons

What would you pay for a nice looking top that is "lease-friendly", ie., no permanent mods to the car?

random thoughts: carbon fiber finish? clearance for roll bar/cage? included roll bar? oem front latch, solid no rattle rear latches. ready to paint? pre-painted? glass or lexan window(s)? sun roof option?
Old 12-31-2003, 09:50 AM
HVN N HEL

From what I have read about the S2000 hardtop, I am guessing that around $2K would be the going price for a good quality, good fitting top. Since this is a niche market, I wouldn't expect them to come pre-painted, but I know that having it painted might tack on upwards of another $1K?

I'm not into carbon fiber unless it's for weight savings but then it would have to be painted over. Body color all the way around. Carbon fiber's not cheap either. I also wouldn't be surprised that due to safety retrictions and tests required that all the tops came with a "for off road use only" warning.

Glass rear window would be a must and secure, rattle-fee fasteners. I wouldn't want that thing flying off the car on the freeway and decapitating anyone. I'm still not convinced that a top wouldn't require some permament mods to the car to install additional fastening points.

If a 'T' top is released in the next couple of years (before I get my hands on a hardtop), look out 'cause here comes a roadster for trade-in/upgrade!
Old 01-01-2004, 08:15 AM
RANDY350Z

The S2000 top comes pre-painted, and is about 2000 to 2500 if purchased from a wholesale dealer ---example: dealers that offer discount on parts and accessories. Looking at the Z's top folded down, the top could latch down from the windshield frame and that funky hole in the middle of the tannue cover. I guess the detachable hard top would have to have a rubber type lining on the bottom so that it can seal on the cover and not scratch or have a leak. There has to be a way, look at the Boxters tannaue cover, it first looks like there could not be a detachable top on,, but Porsche figured it out. As long as it looks clean and no "body" mods like the old Miats had, would be great!