Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Convertible shell randomly stops

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 PM
dktechguy112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible shell randomly stops

I have a weird problem with the top. When I open the top, the fifth bow opens perfectly. When the shell opens, it goes up slightly and stops, this is all with me holding the button down the whole time. I release and repress button the shell continues to open, sometimes it stops again sometimes it goes all the way up. The rest of the way the top works fine. And when closing the top the shell opened continuously.

I pulled the motors that control the shell, I opened them up and the brushes look great. There was a little bit of debris in the motors, but the brushes still had plenty of life, and the motors looked fairly clean. Anyone have any ideas?

Issue when opening top:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4OM0...ature=youtu.be

Doesn't have issue when closing top:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioTOJ...ature=youtu.be

View from the motor (opening top):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H0UB...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

First of all Dktechguy, don’t call it a shell; in ‘Nissan speak’ it’s a hatch cover.

Your car has a Convertible Top Control Module and part of its duties is to act like a nanny constantly checking to see if the brake pedal is at least partially depressed, making sure that the car is not moving more than 3 mph, that the windows got the message to lower, the passenger seat has tilted (or the tilt cancel switch is activated) etc etc. Sometimes the brain in the control module gets confused when the hatch is being opened in order to lower the top (opening the hatch in order to raise the top doesn’t seem to confuse the module). When you release and re-press the top activation button the module does a recheck.

Other people who have had your exact problem have found that poor contacts in the passenger seat tilt cancel switch to be the cause. If you have your switch in the cancel mode, try changing it to the regular mode or vise versa. Also check the action of the brake pedal position switch.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:56 AM
dktechguy112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried changing the tilt cancel switch from auto to cancel. I'm still having the same issue regardless of the position of the tilt cancel switch.

How do I check the brake pedal position switch?

Any other ideas, I'm at the point where I might have to take it to the dealer, and I'm sure they will charge an insane amount to fix it.