Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Convertible top problems? And can they be left outside?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:18 AM
Jxp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top problems? And can they be left outside?

Hi all,
I am in the market for an older 350z. I have my eyes on a beautiful 2004 convertible. I went to the dealer yesterday, the car was clean, mod free and even though it was 10 years old, looked like new. 38k miles, i opened the top, and it got stuck midstream. Now, im not worried, the dealer will fix it...

My question.. Are the tops prone to problems? Especially on an older car as this one is.

My other question, if i were to get this car, unfortunately, it wont be parked in the garage. We are in Maine, and get lots of snow, freezing rain and general bad weather. Is it an issue to leave a convertible outside? Will the weight of snow damage the soft roof? Or cause it to tear? Of course, i would clear the snow from it, but i am wondering how it will hold up outdoors in the winters?

Could i just put a tarp over it to protect it when it will snow?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 AM
zamfield

Had my 08 out in the snow, parked this year and didn't have any issues with the snow.
You should be fine as long as you clear it.

As for the roof, it could be a guide wire problem.
They go bad over time and need replacing ... they stretch and can snap.
I'd suggest professional install of them, but they're pretty reasonable to buy.
You can find sets on eBay for under $100 or so, but the labor to replace them could get expensive.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 AM
Blooster

The top issue could be a motor. Dealer repair could cost $1500+. Do-it-yourselfers have reported success changing the brushes. Yes they are prone.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:47 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The main worry I'd have with buying a roadster would be a**holes sticking knives through the top. A mate of mine had an old MG roadster and ended up selling it because it kept getting damaged. I'm not trying to put you off, but you really have to think about where you're going to park it.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 AM
myork

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What was the temp in Maine yesterday? The roadster tops are finicky when it comes to opening/closing below about 45 degrees.
I know if its cold I have to leave mine out in the sun for an hour or so, then the top folds away smoothly.

I dont think leaving the car outside will cause any damage as long as you keep the car washed and waxed, and make sure the top is treated with 303 Protectant or something similar. And I would invest in a good car cover.
Its driving in the winter that does all the damage; from road salts, sand, flying chunks of crap from other vehicles, etc.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:30 PM
RedScytheZ

Don't buy it unless the dealer agrees to fix it 1st and will warranty the work.
The top having an issue already would just get me to go look elsewhere. Roadsters are for sale all over.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 AM
bacon28

I had the same issue when I bought my Z. The dealership agreed to fix it but the problem seemed to stem around the cold temp like @myork stated, and it fixed itself. I love my vert, there is more maintenance than with a hard top.

There are also two elastic bands that help pull the bows together when the top is folding, if the bands are worn out (which might be the case for an 04) then the bows don't fold right and will cause the top to bind up. Those are fairly cheap to replace too.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:48 PM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Convertible but would probably not want it for my 1st or only car. That being said a hardtop was never a consideration. The 350Z with the top down is much more fun even if you drive slow. A hardtop isn't even close and was never a consideration for me.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 AM
esoom67

I took my 2006 into the dealer because my roof will not even open and was told I need a new regulator ($550 for the part) and that did not include labor. Can I order this part myself and put it in myself? If so can anyone tell me specifically what I should order?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I love my 06 zr. DD, no probs with roof other than fabric tears. If you don't have the brake pedal depressed tightly when moving top, it will stop at any point.
I personally would not consider a zr that was having mechanical issues with top, there's at least 3 motors plus a "control module". If you can pull on the 4 elastic bands and it works you should be ok after an easy fix...GL
Old 06-20-2014, 01:00 PM
compint

Try this site. I have ordered from here before:

http://www.nissanpartswarehouse.com/
Old 06-20-2014, 02:51 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Convertible tops left out in the weather usually have a life of about 5-6 years. After that, they need to be replaced. The Nissan convertible top is no more prone to trouble than any convertible. They just need to be maintained and replaced occasionally.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:45 AM
laurentj23

I sold my convertible and this is what I've learnt

1. Tops need to be maintained and have life span of 5years. Means 3k to get it replaced by shops. Without any motor issues.
2. It is prone to be vandalized . I was the victim of it. Insurance fixed it but it will be on my record. Get a full cover if you plan to get one.
3. Smoothline makes hardtop but they are chappy and expensive. 5 mos downtime. Fitments sucks.never get back on emails.
4. Get a coupe. Convertible is just to much of headache unless you're 60 years old or a mid age female that have a garage.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Kev UK

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My soft top has had 9 years of uk weather and is still in great condition.

I had the same issue as the OP when I bought mine. I lubricated the joints and it's been fine ever since.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 AM
crd00

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive owned my 06 roadster for just about 4 years now and I'm very happy with it. The only issue Ive had is that the top wouldn't close completely in the compartment and all I had to do was replace the 5th bow elastic bands(they were stretched to double the size of what they were supposed to be)

I replaced my top myself last year with an EZ-ON top for $500, very simple replacement with a guide and like everyone said, you get 5-6 years out of a top which is pretty decent

I sometimes regret buying a convertible with the extra maintenance and extra cost but once you drive top down and you get the looks from people, you'll remember why you bought a roadster in the first place.