350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

White smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:27 AM
doorpro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default White smoke

Hi Guys,

it's been a while since I was last here because we have very few problems with my wife's 350z Roadster however that changed a few weeks ago and I was hoping that someone has some direction for me.
You see a few weeks ago the car started puffing out white smoke at start up but not every time and to be honest sometimes it is a small puff but a few days ago it engulfed the car and then the rest of the day it was fine.
Today my wife took the car to the dealer and they ran a diagnostic check on it and wouldn't you know, they found no faults so they changed the oil and gave the car back.
Now I know that these days mechanics are relying on the computer to tell them what's wrong but when I used to mess with my own cars years ago white smoke was always water related and it was generally a head gasket problem so I am wondering if anyone has had this same issue and even though her car is an 06 it has barely broken 50k miles (trips to the mall & lunch).

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
regards,
Doug.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:40 AM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Does the smoke have that coolant smell to it? If so, then that would likely indicate a head gasket poblem. The other test is to open the radiator cap WHEN THE CAR IS COLD and then start the car and see if the radiator bubbles and smells of exhaust gas or has oil residue. Also, does your coolant level drop? A drop in coolant when there are no external leaks could mean blown head gasket.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:00 PM
doorpro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the suggestions, I will check both ideas out soon. The main problem is getting the dealer to do something before it gets worse.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:15 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

It's not really a question of "before it gets worse", as the problem will indeed get worse every time you run the engine. If the dealer can't properly diagnose it, take it to another shop that can, and have them check for exhaust gases in the coolant. You can also buy a chemical test kit and do it yourself.

Amazon.com: UVIEW 560000 Combustion Leak Tester: Automotive Amazon.com: UVIEW 560000 Combustion Leak Tester: Automotive

In all likelyhood, you've described a bad head gasket or a cracked block or head.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:35 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

If it only puffs at start up, it's probably NOT a head gasket. That would blow white steam all the time and the dealer would have noticed it. Especially if they changed the oil. Most likely, your valve guide seals are wearing and allowing a small amount of oil to run down the valve stems when the cars sits. When you start it, that pool of oil burns off causing the blue smoke (most people think it looks white). It won't smoke again until the car sits long enough for the oil to pool up again. Not worth tearing down the heads to fix unless it really, really bothers you and you have money to burn.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:16 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

50k miles being adult driven? OP - white smoke or blue smoke? any chance you have condensation built up in the gas tank? and or sh!tty gas? you'd think the car being driven responsibly, well taken care of, 50k miles, (assuming) no check engine lights that a headgasket would be the last place.

Can't Blackstone labs detect coolant in the oil? Might be $40 well spent...
Old 05-14-2018, 09:44 AM
jawolf07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize I'm a little late to the party here but my 04 Z is having similar issues. Any updates as to how this issue was resolved?