Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

High Speed Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:28 AM
sidawg2000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Speed Vibration

2005 model. 112K miles. Never abused. Never raced. Never autocrossed. All stock (and original) suspension. No engine modifications. Starts around 65 MPH. Can feel it in the seat of my pants. Not a serious vibration, but is noticeable, and more importantly, should not be happening. New tires and just Road Force balanced 18 Aug at Nissan dealer. Wheels are straight and true. I am at my wit's end. Its been a great machine for me, and would love to keep it, but not if I can't fix the vibration. Although, may be an excuse to go buy a new one!!!
Old 08-22-2017, 11:35 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

If it starts at 65 and continues at any speed, rather than one particular speed range, it's likely your original suspension may just be shot - specifically the shocks, and likely the control arm and other rubber bushings. Get under there and check.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

I have such a dirty mind................ Anyway, is there any kind of noise associated with the vibration?
Old 08-22-2017, 11:47 AM
sidawg2000

The vibration appears and stays and does not get progressively worse up to speeds of 90MPH which is as fast as I've ever driven it. My alignment guy that I've been going to for 35 years checked it and said it was solid as a rock. Pretty sure the Nissan tech checked it also as he and the service manager made a feeble attempt to sell me a strut/shock job for $1300.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:48 AM
sidawg2000

No groaning wheel bearings.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:43 AM
Atreyu'z 350

OK. Does it feel like it's coming from the front or the back?.. Sry. Gotta' ask these kinds of questions to get a better picture.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:18 AM
sidawg2000

Default Vibration

If I had to make a choice, I'd say it's more from the front than the rear. There is some vibration in the steering wheel, but there's more vibration in the seat than the wheel. Pretty sure I've eliminated any tire/wheel issues.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 AM
Atreyu'z 350

OK. Does it increase, subside, or stay the same when you apply the brakes? Are any of your calipers hotter than the others after a drive? Are there any dead spots in your steering wheel before your wheels start to turn?.. Check your transmission mounts, and where it fastens to the crossmember.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:37 AM
sidawg2000

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
OK. Does it increase, subside, or stay the same when you apply the brakes? Are any of your calipers hotter than the others after a drive? Are there any dead spots in your steering wheel before your wheels start to turn?.. Check your transmission mounts, and where it fastens to the crossmember.
As the speed decreases the vibration decreases until it gets to pre 65 MPH of zero vibration.

I'll check the calipers when I get home, but less than 5K on new rotors/pads.

I'll check transmission mounts. 6MT, not auto. Make a difference?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by sidawg2000
As the speed decreases the vibration decreases until it gets to pre 65 MPH of zero vibration.

I'll check the calipers when I get home, but less than 5K on new rotors/pads.

I'll check transmission mounts. 6MT, not auto. Make a difference?

No I'm saying when you apply the brakes at 65mph+ does the vibration feel any different? No, it won't make a difference because both have mounting points. Are there any dead spots in your steering wheel before your wheels start to turn? Did this all start out of the blue, or after you did something to it?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Atreyu'z 350

BTW, if this vibration is from you feeling the new tread on your new tires I'm going to drive to Oklahoma and bitc* slap you.
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 12:41 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

If the vibration started right after you got the new tires, then no, you haven't eliminated any tire/wheel issues. If the vibration was there prior to the new tires going on, then it could be a number of things. Atreyu's doing a good job helping you figure that out.

I spent a year and a half doing tire mounting, balancing and repair at a reputable shop (among about 500 other things.) I can't count the number of times customers would come in complaining about vibrations right after they installed new tires somewhere else. Sometimes the tires would just be junk (usually Goodyears) or the balance job was not done right or a wheel weight came off because it wasn't applied properly. For one guy, it was as difficult as actually tightening down the lug bolts to spec (he was lucky he didn't lose a wheel.) I'm just saying, don't count out the vibration being a wheel/tire issue. If the issue started right after they were mounted, take it back to the dealership who installed them and complain. Also, at 112K miles, you're due for a new suspension.
The following 2 users liked this post by zakmartin:
Atreyu'z 350 (08-24-2017), MicVelo (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 01:00 PM
sidawg2000

No slapping please!!! Vibration was there w/the old tires that had some uneven wear due to being out of alignment. Like I said, given the tires, Road Force balance, each wheel checked...one was replaced BTW...I think I've ruled out all wheel tire issues.

Steering is tight, no dead spots.

i'll report back tomorrow. headed home.

I'm willing to put another $1K in w/new hub bearings, struts and shocks, but sure would like to get out of using the "hope" method of fixing things.

THX for help.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:22 AM
Atreyu'z 350

No slapping please!!! Vibration was there w/the old tires that had some uneven wear due to being out of alignment. Like I said, given the tires, Road Force balance, each wheel checked...one was replaced BTW...I think I've ruled out all wheel tire issues.

Steering is tight, no dead spots.

i'll report back tomorrow. headed home.

I'm willing to put another $1K in w/new hub bearings, struts and shocks, but sure would like to get out of using the "hope" method of fixing things.

THX for help.

Aight... but did you have an alignment performed eventually, or no?
Old 08-24-2017, 10:23 AM
sidawg2000

Yes, alignment was done.

the story...

1. Noticed uneven wear on front tires. Replaced them.
2. Drove about 5K miles, then went for alignment..yeah, I know, I'm an idiot.
3. Alignment guy that has aligned cars for me for over 35 years assured me that she's straight as an arrow and that all front end components were "solid as a rock." Asked about replacing shocks/struts. "Doesn't need them." he says.
4. Perhaps my "touchy" has become more sensitive, but started noticing the high speed vibration, but would venture to guess that it was there before alignment in #1, above.
5. Removed the front wheels/tires and had them Road Force balanced at the GM dealer. He said the tires had flat spots which was probably true because the car did sit for over 50 days.
6. Replaced front tires. Still noticed high speed vibration (did not change).
7. Went to Nissan dealer for alignment and align the strut tower brace. (did not change)
8. Went to Nissan Dealer for Road Force balance. Found a couple small oz off on a couple wheels and a bent wheel, but w/in tolerance on the Road Force machine. Vibration still there.
9. Replaced "bent" wheel. Vibration still there.

Probably going on 10-12 months between Step 1 and Step 9 and maybe 5K miles.

There you have it. Aligned and balanced like it was Fort Knox protecting the gold, but still a noticeable and very irritating vibration.
Atreyu'z 350 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I would be curious to know the resonance frequency of the vibration.
MicVelo (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Yes, alignment was done.

the story...

1. Noticed uneven wear on front tires. Replaced them.
2. Drove about 5K miles, then went for alignment..yeah, I know, I'm an idiot.
3. Alignment guy that has aligned cars for me for over 35 years assured me that she's straight as an arrow and that all front end components were "solid as a rock." Asked about replacing shocks/struts. "Doesn't need them." he says.
4. Perhaps my "touchy" has become more sensitive, but started noticing the high speed vibration, but would venture to guess that it was there before alignment in #1, above.
5. Removed the front wheels/tires and had them Road Force balanced at the GM dealer. He said the tires had flat spots which was probably true because the car did sit for over 50 days.
6. Replaced front tires. Still noticed high speed vibration (did not change).
7. Went to Nissan dealer for alignment and align the strut tower brace. (did not change)
8. Went to Nissan Dealer for Road Force balance. Found a couple small oz off on a couple wheels and a bent wheel, but w/in tolerance on the Road Force machine. Vibration still there.
9. Replaced "bent" wheel. Vibration still there.

Probably going on 10-12 months between Step 1 and Step 9 and maybe 5K miles.

There you have it. Aligned and balanced like it was Fort Knox protecting the gold, but still a noticeable and very irritating vibration.

I don't know. Maybe that vibrator from three nights ago is still stuck in your a**.......... But seriously, how did you bend your wheel? Maybe this ''vibration'' is a symptom of that event.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:28 PM
sidawg2000

Not sure how the wheel was bent because I bought the car used from the original elderly owner, so the bent wheel may have been his contribution. I had had that particular wheel Road Forc balanced twice and the Nissan tech said it was so small that the wheel was not out of tolerance.

Resonance frequency? Really? Its very subtle and I probably drove the car for 10K miles before I started to notice it, but its there.

The hubs/wheels were all the same temp when I checked them last nite.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:38 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Check the run out on your brake rotors lately? Last time they were turned/replaced?

Just throwin' that out there because it sounds like rotor warpage to me.

Oh, and don't rule out bearings.... they don't need to make noise to be beyond their axial runout range.

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-24-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:42 AM
sidawg2000

THX. Rotors turned less than 6K miles ago by a very good/trusted/experienced mechanic. Agree, hub bearings a possibility and a fairly simple job. Any recommendations for replacements?

Quick Reply: High Speed Vibration