350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Nissan 350z VQ35HR roadster manual transmission swap cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 04:40 AM
DKVN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nissan 350z VQ35HR roadster manual transmission swap cruise control

Hi everyone,

I may need some help. We have Nissan 350z 2007 VQ35HR roadster auto transmission with cruise control. We do manual swap for the car, we changed manual transmission ecu and wiring. After that, cruise control is not worked anymore. What can we do? how we do? Thanks
Old 08-02-2024, 10:29 AM
icer5160

Received 442 Likes on 337 Posts

If the ECU was from a base model, then cruise won’t work. Base models did not have CC. You would need to reflash the ECU with a rom from an Enthusiast or other upper trim. Also, you need the clutch pedal cruise switch. The brake pedal switch should already be there.
-Icer.
Old 08-02-2024, 12:32 PM
DKVN

Originally Posted by icer5160
If the ECU was from a base model, then cruise won’t work. Base models did not have CC. You would need to reflash the ECU with a rom from an Enthusiast or other upper trim. Also, you need the clutch pedal cruise switch. The brake pedal switch should already be there.
-Icer.
You mean the manual transmission that we just swap. How do we know it is base model ecu or cc model ecu? Thanks
Old 08-02-2024, 07:07 PM
icer5160

If you only swapped the transmission, and nothing else, then CC will not work. The transmission computer on AT equipped Zs is not embedded in the transmission. It's part of the ECU/PCM in the dash.

Your ECU (PCM) needs to be swapped with a 6MT unit that also has CC enabled (such as a 2007 Roadster 6MT or Enthusiast Coupe 6MT). Alternatively, you could try re-flashing the ECU you have now with Uprev Software or similar (not sure if that will work though). There are many different ECU/PCM part numbers which are year and trim specific, your best way to find one compatible is to do a VIN lookup and cross fingers the seller is being honest. Don't forget you also need the pedal switches. Now that you have a 6MT and a 3rd pedal (Clutch), you need to make sure the cruise switch is installed on the clutch pedal. I'm not sure if the AT equipped Zs have the same dash harness to support this. I know the base model 6MT Zs did and you could upgrade/enable CC on a base model 6MT by simply installing Cruise Switches on Steering Wheel, adding pedal switches, and then re-flashing ECU with Uprev to enable Cruise Control (I did it!). The only other caveat was enabling the Cruise emoji's in the gauge cluster as the base model gauge cluster did not include these indicator LEDs.

NOTE: Swapping ECU/PCMs will trigger the anti-theft system in the BCM and the engine will not start. Additional programming is required to pair the BCM and ECU or disable NATS (Nissan's antitheft).

Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 08-02-2024, 11:28 PM
DKVN

Originally Posted by icer5160
If you only swapped the transmission, and nothing else, then CC will not work. The transmission computer on AT equipped Zs is not embedded in the transmission. It's part of the ECU/PCM in the dash.

Your ECU (PCM) needs to be swapped with a 6MT unit that also has CC enabled (such as a 2007 Roadster 6MT or Enthusiast Coupe 6MT). Alternatively, you could try re-flashing the ECU you have now with Uprev Software or similar (not sure if that will work though). There are many different ECU/PCM part numbers which are year and trim specific, your best way to find one compatible is to do a VIN lookup and cross fingers the seller is being honest. Don't forget you also need the pedal switches. Now that you have a 6MT and a 3rd pedal (Clutch), you need to make sure the cruise switch is installed on the clutch pedal. I'm not sure if the AT equipped Zs have the same dash harness to support this. I know the base model 6MT Zs did and you could upgrade/enable CC on a base model 6MT by simply installing Cruise Switches on Steering Wheel, adding pedal switches, and then re-flashing ECU with Uprev to enable Cruise Control (I did it!). The only other caveat was enabling the Cruise emoji's in the gauge cluster as the base model gauge cluster did not include these indicator LEDs.

NOTE: Swapping ECU/PCMs will trigger the anti-theft system in the BCM and the engine will not start. Additional programming is required to pair the BCM and ECU or disable NATS (Nissan's antitheft).

Good Luck!
-Icer
i did swap transmission + mt ecu + wiring + programme immobilizer. Car was had cruise control. Car is running good, just do not have cruise control. Maybe the mt ecu is base model so need to reflash or something

by the way, how do we check mt ecu is from base model or from cruise control model?

thanks
Old 08-05-2024, 05:11 PM
icer5160

To check ECU type, you would need the VIN from the car it came from, that's the best way to tell for a non-dealer entity to check that I'm aware of. The P/N system Nissan uses is convoluted and to my knowledge there isn't a translation list/chart you can use to confirm/verify the ECU type.

The P/N printed on the ECU housing is from the OEM mfg (Hitachi I think) which is not a reliable source for distinguishing between a CC supported trim or not. At best it might indicate if it's from a 6MT or 5AT chassis. Nissan's P/N is based on the ROM or software loaded, you would need Consult III Plus to check the Nissan P/N encoded on your ECU.

All 6MT ECUs support Cruise Control from a hardware standpoint, it's simply a software feature that is either enabled or disabled in software. If I was in your position, I would look into re-flashing the ECU with Uprev or similar, using a ROM that enables cruise control.

Have you confirmed that you have the brake and clutch pedal cruise switches? Or at the least, the harness connections are present? These switches tie into the dash harness, it's a massive job to swap that entire harness and most never bother when doing a manual swap.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 08-13-2024, 07:37 AM
DKVN

Finally, I fixed all issue. Use Uprev to flash ecu to have cruise controller worked and of course, I did buy full kit: manual wiring, cluster, pedal, switches, gearbox... Thanks
The following users liked this post:
icer5160 (08-13-2024)