Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

could someone please take a look at their soft top weatherstripping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 02:02 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default could someone please take a look at their soft top weatherstripping?

i have noticed that i have been getting a lot of wind noise lately at speeds above 60 lately.

i checked my weather stripping above the passenger door and the whole back 4/5 of the rubber section fell off! the only thing that prevented it from falling to the floor was a bit of adhesives holding the front section in place. anyways, i worked the rubber back into the groove, but i was just wondering if there is anything else that is supposed to be holding this thing in place? seems like it will work itself loose again very easily.

i suspect that when nissan changed my soft top, they didnt do a good job of putting everything back where it should be. not sure though.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:51 AM
mode101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, could you post a pic of the area your talking about ? and the part that fell off ?

thanks!
Old 03-27-2004, 04:54 AM
Richardew

I looked at the service manual and as best I can tell, the weatherstripping is held on totally by adhesives.
rich
Old 03-28-2004, 12:59 AM
ragtopz

darn i didnt realize that the picture was out of focus. anyways, i here is a pic of it. i guess i will try to tape it in place for now. that silver metal piece looks like it is supposed to hold it in with some fasteners or something... but i guess according to the manual there arent any, huh richard?

thanks you guys.

edit: i had already stuck it back in the grooves. however, it doesnt seem all that sturdy. i just pulled some of it out again. i just pulled part of it off again for the pic.
Attached Thumbnails could someone please take a look at their soft top weatherstripping?-weather-strip-small.jpg  
Old 03-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Richardew

I'll look again now that I see the part. If you could post another pic or 2 it would help. One from farther away would help me see where the piece is. Don't have the manual with me at work though so I'll look when I get home tonight.
rich
Old 03-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Richardew

Went out and looked at my car. It's the vertical piece at the back of the front window. I'll have you my final answer tonight.
rich
Old 03-28-2004, 01:42 PM
ragtopz

actually, sorry, i shouldnt have zoomed in so close. here is another pic of the piece i am talking about. thanks for the help.

i looked at it again, and i swear it seems that some sort of fasteners seem to fit into the grooves on the silver metal part. dont know why else the metal would be shaped like that.

the previous picture was with the top stopped midway of the opening process.
Attached Thumbnails could someone please take a look at their soft top weatherstripping?-weatherstrip-small-closed.jpg  
Old 03-29-2004, 04:02 AM
Richardew

Here is a pic of the weatherstriping. There are things called retainers (link a, link b, link c &5th bow) that the weatherstrip fits on. They are parts 12,13 and 19. The weatherstrips are parts 14,15 and 16. There are a few clips (parts 6). Here's a pic of the parts.
Attached Thumbnails could someone please take a look at their soft top weatherstripping?-soft-top2.jpg  
Old 03-29-2004, 04:04 AM
Richardew

I guess that wasn't the way to attach 2 images.
Attached Thumbnails could someone please take a look at their soft top weatherstripping?-soft-top1.jpg  
Old 03-30-2004, 08:02 AM
ragtopz

thanks richard. that pic is a bit confusing, but from what i can tell, like you said, they forgot to install the clips to hold the weatherstrip on.

still cannot figure where those clips would go though... your info really does help a lot though.

thank you so much. i really appreciate it.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:58 PM
mode101

Originally posted by Richardew
I guess that wasn't the way to attach 2 images.
is the weather stripping on the Z really attached with adhesive ?