Old 07-08-2004, 06:03 PM
ZBoater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Screw MT. Check out the
Car and Driver comparison .
Old 07-08-2004, 08:41 PM
elyliu

Default Re: Opinions are like ********....everybody has one......

Originally posted by Speedracer
I have driven every one of these cars. The Z roadster is the best. Car and Driver agrees. In their comparo, ZR finished second to the Honda S2000, and ahead of the Z4, Boxster and TT. I bought the ZR instead of th S2000 because I wanted more torque and more of a "real car". In terms of looks.....I guarantee, my ZR gets more looks, stares, thumbs-up, smiles, etc than any of those other vehicles. MT can kiss my ZR's fat, sexy, JLo butt!!!!
if I remember correctly, that comparo had a price limit. So the ZR was competing with the boxster (not S), Z4 2.5, and the 1.8T TTs....so all those euro cars had a SERIOUS HP disadvantage....

i got the ZR over s2k because it's more "usable". ride less harsh, less wind noise, and more useable power.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:00 PM
kosta157

i havn't read the article but i do see a lot of cars and get to drive a lot of cars. I love the porche carrera4s that car is beautiful like it better than the 911 the boxter is nice but wasn't worth the money and the value of that car out here depriciates like there is no tommorow + you see those damn boxters everywhere to played in this area i don't see to many ragtop z's rolling around yet. The Z4 is a horrible car to small, stereo is out of wack, priced to much for that kind of car i feel the 3 series convertible is a better buy. never drove the TT but reminds me of a crunched down VW bug. i like the Z price point was good, looks good, a lot of aftermarket mods you can do and make it real hot looking on the street, sex appeal is there and it has that wow factor which the other 3 cars currently lack. there is a new player on the block though the chrysler crossfire covt. looks good is most aspects but fuctionally sucks a$$ top motor sounds bad (sounds like it is ready to break) trunk as specific locations for walls that if not in place perfectly top will not fuction, you got to yank the top down and it feels like you are going to crack the winshield when you pull it down but i am sure you will see a comparisson of the two sooner than latter. But on the comment for the boxters too much money for not enough wow you can buy suspension for the Z that is better then the boxters and make the ride quality better than the boxters
Old 07-10-2004, 07:23 AM
zmann

I was shocked too at the article and the disadvantage of positioning the enthusiast against the others that were significantly higher in cost. I don't understand how they would expect a $34k Nissan to compete on the same basis as a $60k porsche. I was pleased last year when C&D rated it above the others and disappointed that MT couldn't come to the same place, but neither article influenced me one way or the other. I can accept the porshce coming out on top, but have trouble with the TT and Z4. My car, after almost a year on the road, continues to draw attention (favorable attention) almost daily. A guy that I work with is in the process of buying a Boxster S, and saw my car on the way to work yesterday, said he couldn't figure out what it was, but it was "...a beautiful car..."! He then figured out it was me and told me about it later that morning. If I ever trade up from the Z, it will be to the boxster S, but for the time being, I couldn't be happier with my ZR!
Old 07-11-2004, 07:01 AM
earlfargis

Default Re: motor trend roadster comparo

I reread the MT article last night over a Starf*cks coffee at Barnes 'n Noble. If you read the article carefully it seems MT weights appearance heavily in their review and they weren't impressed by the Zs looks.

IMHO, that isn't really the role of a car rag review. Beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that jazz. They have some silly "cute ute" article where they go camping in some low-end SUV wannabes like the Santa Fe. The new Chevy Equinox, despite lousy steering they gripe about mightedly about wins, in large part, because they coo over how great the looks are. The Ford gets 4th because they weren't impressed by how the interior/exterior looks.

What I look for in a rag... errrr... mag like MT is some insight into performance since, on a test drive, I can't take a car to the track to uncover its performance characteristics. I don't need their help to tell me if it looks good or not.

In the end, my ego isn't tied to bragging rights. People who buy cars based on it being crowned king of the hill by the car rags need to see a shrink to work on their self-esteem.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Chris S

Who cares how your cars finish in magazine comparos? They just reflect their opinions, and we're all entitled to our own. Your feelings about your car (good or bad) shouldn't be affected by what they right. If mag racing bragging rights are that important to you, I'd suggest you get a life!

I've only driven the Boxster S out of that group (plus Z's if you count the coupe). Based on my exp., looks, and what I've read, I'd rank them as follows: 1) Boxster S 2) Z Roadster 3) Z4 4) TT. Of course, I'd rank the S2000 on top had it been included!
Old 07-11-2004, 06:51 PM
vze4fhpv

I love my car, as for motor trend they're clueless.... they need to compare a touring model to these other cars...

You guys are missing the point, they compare our japanese car to a european icon that costs way more... bang for the buck the z can't be beat. The z4 and tt are garbage... I'll be compared to a porshe any day... the z will spank a regular boxster... it looks nice, handles great, and get's tons of coments... screw motor trend...
Old 07-11-2004, 08:04 PM
Inova

no, most of you guys are missing the point. car mags like mt, cd, and rt get loads of cash for ads from companies all the time. they get money to write about a car even though it might not be true. its all politics in business folks, thats all.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Spideynw

I think some of you are getting too hung up that the writer's mentioned the "rear" of the cars. They pretty much said they did not like the overall styling of the vehicle, and just mentioned the rear as a part of it.

I read the article, and tend to agree with it. I just do not like how the 350 looks in convertible form. Compared to the other vehicles in the test, it looked to me like they were right. Of course, it all depends on your taste. I love the styling of the BMW. If I were to get any of those convertibles, that would be my choice.

I also agree with the interior comment of the 350. It is pretty plain. And why the orange instrument panel?

There were, however, definitly problems with the article. One, they were comparing cars costing more then 45k to a 34k car. Second, I think wheel size can definitely make a difference in appearance, and all the others had 18's to the 350's 17's. Third, as already stated, it was just as fast or faster then the other vehicles with all its "weight," so why was that a factor?

I would love to see an OEM spoiler put on with 18's and then compare it's styling to the others.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:33 PM
dogfish1

Who really cares about what Motor Trend has to say. Among the major car mags Motor Trend has gone from first to last, and that happened about three decades ago. The Z for reasons to numerous to mention is a very special car that some of us love and others dislike. I am in the former category and frankly could give a ---- about Motor Trend.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Hogstar

I agree with you all! It's a "Euro Trash" rag. Tainted ($$$) for sure. Porshes are nice. But to compare, the Z should be upgraded to to higher performance levels(which it can). Then let the heads roll!
Old 07-12-2004, 11:54 AM
kzshin

Don't we all have:

things to do, places to go, and Porches to PASS?????
Old 07-12-2004, 11:59 AM
syf0n

Originally posted by kzshin
Don't we all have: things to do, places to go, and Porches to PASS?????
No, but you might be able to pass a Porsche every now and then.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:36 PM
AustinS2k2003

A roadster comparo without the consistant #1 roadster the S2000 in the group is NO roadster comparo at all...well ok the lotus elise is taking over the title lately it seems, but oh wait the lotus isn't in the group either...so don't feel bad guys

Last edited by AustinS2k2003; 07-12-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:43 PM
earlfargis

Originally posted by AustinS2k2003
A roadster comparo without the consistant #1 roadster the S2000 in the group is NO roadster comparo at all...well ok the lotus elise is taking over the title lately it seems, but oh wait the lotus isn't in the group either...so don't feel bad guys
Yeah, I wondered about that myself. Glad you brought it up.

Maybe Honda realized the MT review was going to be trash and dissed 'em by not offering a loaner.

The Lotus Elise? It's got all the car rags drooling like an infant over their passifier. It may run like hell but looks too much like a kiddie go-cart for my taste.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:00 PM
AustinS2k2003

Still point is the Elise is in this class too - wouldn't you expect it to be in this ranking? that's like excluding the challenger from the title fight!!
Old 07-12-2004, 05:14 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't they have to include the Miata and Z3?
Old 07-12-2004, 05:25 PM
AustinS2k2003

Well the Miataspeed miata perhaps...but the z3 isn't a current model year and I would image that what was the comparison was...
Old 07-12-2004, 05:52 PM
elyliu

the lotus woulda ran circles around heavy cars like our Z and the TT....it'll even make the boxster and Z4 seem heavy....

It'll out accelerate all of them too.

then again if MT included the elise, it'll probably end up 4th because it looked too aggresive....
Old 07-12-2004, 06:00 PM
earlfargis

Still point is the Elise is in this class too - wouldn't you expect it to be in this ranking? that's like excluding the challenger from the title fight!!
Is it available in the US yet?

Quick Reply: motor trend roadster comparo