Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

motor trend roadster comparo

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 08:32 AM
elyliu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry motor trend roadster comparo

Has anybody read the August Motor Trend?

Our Z got 4th place OUT OF 4 CARS!!!

1st Boxster S
2nd TT 3.2
3rd Z4 3.0
4th 350ZR Enthusiast

"Unfortunately, the 350Z's V-6 has 3517 pounds of roadster to haul around, nearly quarter ton more mass than the Boxster or Z4 have to deal with. With its sedan genes showing, the 350Z is the second heavist car in the group...."

What about the TT?!?! it's the heavist of the group and it got SECOND.

"Optional 18-in are available, but impart more ride harshness"

Not really! Idiot journalist. They should try it before they comment. Even with the 18in wheels, it's still EASILY softer than the boxster S.

"less-than premium materials and distinct lack for forward stowage space dampened enthusiasm...these was a distinct lack for surprise and delight features as well..."

what are they comparing?!?!? luxury cars?!?!? Not to mention, they picked the top models for all the other cars (TT 3.2, Z4 3.0, Boxster S), the least they could have done is picked up the Touring Z with all the options. In the comparo the price difference between the Z and the Boxster was $25k! You think they can spare $6k to get a loaded touring model! ARG, the injustice.

"Sports cars are supposed to stir passion but the words "clumsy" and "cluttered" kept popping up"

350z doesnt stire passion?!?!?! Obviously he hasn't met any Z owners.

"The 350Z Roadster's bloblike rear end looks out of place and decidedly nonsporty, especially when the Z-car is parked next to the roadsters in this test."

NONSPORTY?!?!?! Compared to the TT and Boxster?!?!? Boxster is like a 1997s design. TT looks FAT. and Z4 just looks weird. How can 350Z be NOT SPORTY.

I think I'll write a letter to Motor Trend about this idiot.

Plus how can he place the 2 newest models in the LAST 2 PLACES?!?!

Sorry guys, I just needed to vent after reading that article.

Last edited by elyliu; 07-05-2004 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Speeddemon69

I think they would of changed there mind if they would driven a regular non-roadster Z. Since the roadster weighs like 300lbs more.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:19 AM
toykilla

i dont like the roadster much either, but i still like it better than the other options... i agree they should have compared top end models.. but you have to alsod realize that was journalism. They choose their favorites and write accordingly
Old 07-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Zpeed Freak

No, I didn't see that issue. I think they are trying to compare convertable "sports cars". That's why the "best" Z isn't listed.

Lets magazine race for a minute.

The Z4 weighs 2932lbs bmw claims 0-60 of 7.1 seconds(actual results vary), and a topspeed of 146.
The TT roadster weighs 3472lbs 0-60 in 6.6s and topspeed is limited at 130.
The boxter S, weighs 3118lbs, 0-60 in around 5.5s and a topspeed of 161.
The Z roadster weighs 3428, 0-60 in 5.8 with 156 top speed.

As far as convertables and performance... I think the boxter S deserves to be on top of that list reguardless.

I think that article must have been written by a euro-***.

Last edited by Zpeed Freak; 07-05-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:29 AM
elyliu

i guess if they factored in the price...the Z probably would've won it hands down...

maybe i am just bitter I have a ZR and not a C4S cabriolet....
Old 07-05-2004, 12:03 PM
350zroadster

I know what the Z roadster is worth, don't need a magazine to tell me. It looks good on the road, chicks ask me about it, it handles well, and when I nee some excitement in my life I can bolt a SuperCharger on for less than $5k

less Z Roadsters on the road

Last edited by 350zroadster; 07-05-2004 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:58 PM
ZRoadsterClub

OMG

what a loser article written by a Roadster-wanna-be that can't afford one...

CHICKS DIG IT!

(my apologies to any ladies reading this post)
Old 07-05-2004, 02:51 PM
theonetheonly

I find that Motor Trend has a thing against Japanese cars. If they had included a Mustang, they would rated it number 1.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:22 PM
350zroadster

Originally posted by theonetheonly
I find that Motor Trend has a thing against Japanese cars. If they had included a Mustang, they would rated it number 1.
seems like majority of mainstream mag (c&D, R&T, MT) have something against japanese cars, which is interesting because the majority of "non-mainstream" are dedicated to japanese cars
Old 07-05-2004, 04:29 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm....Ford Biased Motortrend...gotta love them.

They also compared a steroid induced Ford Focas hatcback to a Lamborghini Gallardo on the featured cover story.

Much respect to the tuned Focus, but when I got my mag in the mail I was like "WTF?? are you crackwhores smoking at MT?"

I think I'm ending my subscription...it's just crap going through these articles.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:48 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they can rate it whatever they want, i still love my roadster. i would choose it over those other 3 any day.

mt morons.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:48 PM
syf0n

Default Re: motor trend roadster comparo

Originally posted by elyliu
"Optional 18-in are available, but impart more ride harshness"

Not really! Idiot journalist. They should try it before they comment. Even with the 18in wheels, it's still EASILY softer than the boxster S.
You are on CRACK to insinuate that the Boxster S has a harsh ride compared to the Z. I have both, and love the Z...but the Boxster S has a much nicer ride. This is what you get when you buy a Porsche, much better quality and attention to detail than Nissan will ever be able to offer unless they move up to the same price level. The Boxster has superb suspension and an inherently better engine setup than the Z. Like I said....have'em both...love'em both...the Z is better in many categories, and I agree with you on several points here...but suspension just ain't one of'em.

Also, your comment about style is a little bit off the mark. Porsche has much more experience with styling sports cars than Nissan does, and the lines of the Boxster are intentional as well as purposeful. They are much more exquisite and flowing that the lines of any Z car. I do not expect you to believe me, but then again I dont think you own a P-car and spending a lot of time around a kind of car you tend to notice the finesse exacted in small details of the car (ANY car)...that being said the lines of the 986 and 996 are far beyond anything in Nissan's current lineup.

That's what you get when you spend an extra $20k.

Last edited by syf0n; 07-05-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:29 AM
bascelik

I keep skipping their issues... more and more 'granddaddy' opinions from them. Like R&T more...
Old 07-06-2004, 10:06 AM
MRfire

Default Re: Re: motor trend roadster comparo

Originally posted by syf0n
You are on CRACK to insinuate that the Boxster S has a harsh ride compared to the Z. I have both, and love the Z...but the Boxster S has a much nicer ride. This is what you get when you buy a Porsche, much better quality and attention to detail than Nissan will ever be able to offer unless they move up to the same price level. The Boxster has superb suspension and an inherently better engine setup than the Z. Like I said....have'em both...love'em both...the Z is better in many categories, and I agree with you on several points here...but suspension just ain't one of'em.

Also, your comment about style is a little bit off the mark. Porsche has much more experience with styling sports cars than Nissan does, and the lines of the Boxster are intentional as well as purposeful. They are much more exquisite and flowing that the lines of any Z car. I do not expect you to believe me, but then again I dont think you own a P-car and spending a lot of time around a kind of car you tend to notice the finesse exacted in small details of the car (ANY car)...that being said the lines of the 986 and 996 are far beyond anything in Nissan's current lineup.

That's what you get when you spend an extra $20k.
Yabbut, the single outlet exhaust in the middle of the rear looks like complete A S S!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:10 AM
syf0n

Default Re: Re: Re: motor trend roadster comparo

Originally posted by MRfire
Yabbut, the single outlet exhaust in the middle of the rear looks like complete A S S!
It is not single outlet, it is dual outlet.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:07 AM
MRfire

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: motor trend roadster comparo

Originally posted by syf0n
It is not single outlet, it is dual outlet.
Yes it is dual I see - and still looks like a s s. The Z's rear is way nicer imho.
Attached Thumbnails motor trend roadster comparo-03boxsters6.jpg  
Old 07-06-2004, 11:10 AM
MRfire

Now the 06' Boxster Coupe is looking sweet:
Attached Thumbnails motor trend roadster comparo-boxster-coupe.jpg  
Old 07-06-2004, 11:15 AM
boma

who cares what the magazine thinks. Everytime I roll up in my Z is all I need to feel good about my car.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:15 AM
boma

who cares what the magazine thinks. Everytime I roll up in my Z is all I need to feel good about my car.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:38 PM
syf0n

Originally posted by MRfire
Now the 06' Boxster Coupe is looking sweet:
Those are extremely old spy photos. Newer shots show it looks a lot different.

As for the exhaust looking like ass, if the style of the exhaust pipes is the biggest problem you can find with a car then it's obviously pretty nice. Two other things you should be reminded of is that styling is subjective, and also that the Z concept had center exhaust and most people loved it. As a designer myself I love the center exhaust setup of the Boxster.

Quick Reply: motor trend roadster comparo