Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

vs. Lexus sc430

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 09:54 PM
mattie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vs. Lexus sc430

Hi everyone, my first post here. My wife and I are very serious about purchasing a 350zr (prob 2005 model). Since my most recent experience with a convertible was a 2002 sc 430, I wanted to hear from those of you who have owned or driven both cars. Besides the obvious (i.e. the hard top, over $20k price difference), I wanted to know about the wind noise, how it drives, service issues etc.

The sc was a sporty looking car. Not a sports car. Great stereo and interior, but I was not too crazy about the exterior. I think ( and fortunately my wife does too) the zr is one of the best looking car around

TIA for your opinions.

Mattie
Old 08-01-2004, 01:14 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forum.

i am not sure how many people who have a 350zr also were considering a lexus sc. they are in different categories. i have never driven an sc, but i sat in it. there is nothing exciting about it. it is nice, but nothing special. (besides it was out of my price range)

kind of like my wife's lexus rx330. really nice car, quiet, high quality.... but boring to drive.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:12 PM
elyliu

sc430 and the ZR are totally different animals...their only common thing is probably that they are both convertables...that's about it...

sc is a lot more comfortable. The interior quality is much better. The suspension is much softer.

the zr is a lot more exciting. You'll definitely miss the lexus interior driving the Z.

test drive the car...see how you like it personally...
Old 08-01-2004, 11:14 PM
DRIFT
All LASER LASIK

Ive driven both and the SC (although a very nice car) is rather boring. If you are looking for performance, there is no comparison.

As for your questions:

Wind noise is not bad and the ventilated seats actually give you some cool air moving across your back on hot days......but only with the windows down.

It drives great, especially with my mods and the new wheels and rubber!

Ive had some service issues but they have all been handled well.

I would never trade cars even with the $20k price difference.

And you are certainly correct, it looks AMAZING!
see below
Attached Thumbnails vs. Lexus sc430-img_1348.jpg  
Old 08-01-2004, 11:15 PM
DRIFT
All LASER LASIK

One more peek
Attached Thumbnails vs. Lexus sc430-img_1338.jpg  
Old 08-02-2004, 04:51 AM
LemanZ

I would say ZR is for younger professional, it got the look, performance, handling; THe SC is more for old rich dude, to show off they have the money to buy what a expensive car!! If you want to go really fast, get yourself a GTR!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 05:28 AM
amallari

I test driven that SC is very nice! I would get it in the next couple of years; however. the ZR is good daily driver. It depends on what you are looking from the roadster, performance, awesome looks, limited quantities and a daily driver the Z. If a weekend car and special occaisions than the SC. Lexus compared to Nissan, Lexus is better qaulity built and excellent customer service. I have a RX330 and have been happy with everything.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:20 AM
mattie

Thumbs up Thanks everyone!

Just as I have expected! Thanks for your response. The Lexus ia a nice car, but it just was not my cup of tea. I only kept it for less than 2 years. Besides we had our first baby and I really needed a four door sedan.

I guess my taste ( I keep on saying "I" even though this is going to be my wife's car!) is changing as I get older. I am looking for something more exciting.

And one more question: how comfortable is the ventilated seat? Do most owners choose this option?

Mattie

P.S. Great pictures DRIFT!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:31 AM
LemanZ

Yes, the Ventilated seat is quite comfortable, the wind will only ventilate through when both of your windows down, to keep your back cool. It is good for the summer hotday. While in the winter, I keep the windows up and heater on!!

Old 08-02-2004, 07:59 AM
DRIFT
All LASER LASIK

Hey Mattie........I find the ventilated seats to be very comfortable and all who have ridden in my car say the same. However, I have heard some people dont like them as much. The lower lumbar support seems to be a bit more aggressive than on some seats. I suggest you test drive one with it first. Also, I think it looks better with certain exterior colors than with others. Obviously I think the black looks fantastic but its damn hard to keep clean.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:21 PM
ShaftEd

My boss has an SC430 that I have driven, and I have the 5AT Touring ZR. The SC is beautifully finished and has a ride much more compliant than the Z. However, even though the SC has an 8 cylinder engine, it does not have the low end torque and quick off the line pull that the auto Z does. Probably a weight issue. The ZR is heavy, but the SC is real heavy.

I like the SC's convertible hard top and the sound system is way above the Z's, but as a performance vehicle the Z smokes it.

If you are getting the Z in auto for your wife, the Z's 5AT is much more sophisticated than the SC's auto.

Last edited by ShaftEd; 08-03-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:50 PM
2004 Roadster

SC seems to be like a catalog model. They are nice to look at but you can't do anything with them.

The Z, on the other hand, can be modified and made your own. Buy the ZR, replace the rims, tires, exhaust, suspension and make it YOUR car.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:17 AM
goldndwgz

I'm 6'1 and I fit in the car just fine....I love the way the car handles sounds and looks....not one day goes by where someone doesnt compliment the car or stare at it...
Only problem I have is the long walks to the store and work...I find the urge to park it far away from everyone else..
Old 09-02-2004, 04:15 PM
E.F. VaBeach

This is a good thread - good comments and opinions and, so far, no idiot weenies making cracks and uninformed value judgements.

I test drove and considered the SC too - my wife has a Mercedes SL, so I had a pretty good comparative range to evaluate comfort / performance / useability / esthetics in a high end two seat convertible. By the way, we're both in our fifties, and thin six + footers.

Obviously, I ultimately went with the Z roadster - 5AT. I went with it because it was an incredible value for the dollar, had killer looks, and the significant performance difference was a major deciding factor. One whole year of cut and thrust driving through rush hour traffic has definitely validated this decision, and the auto trans is absolutely superb. OBTW - the car it replaced was a 400+HP Porsche 930 Turbo (my 38th car), so the standands here are not weak.

Bottom line - all the comments that preceed this one are spot on. Decide for yourself, but the Z roadster is a GREAT car and an incredible value.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Chief F1 Fan

Sorry, everytime I see a SC430, it's being driven by an old guy, every freakin' time.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:11 AM
fineout

or jessica simpsons little sister
Old 09-05-2004, 12:02 PM
aaaaa

how can you guys compare Zr to sc430.......

totally different class.....
Old 09-25-2004, 06:00 AM
Darthvol

Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan
Sorry, everytime I see a SC430, it's being driven by an old guy, every freakin' time.
Interesting. Here in TN, almost every SC I see is driven by women, and the only man (at least age 45) I've seen driving one actually tried to outrun me when I pulled out to make a pass on him and looked downright shocked that I was still able to make the pass with ease. He probably thought that a V-8 w/300hp couldn't be beaten by a "cheap" Nissan, but the angry roar of the Crawford mods as I went by made my point.

OTOH, the Lexus is both beautiful and classy, if those are your primary considerations. It just ain't a sports car.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:15 PM
boldenmd

A guy in a gold SC with the caramel-colored seats pulled up next to me the other day at a light and we were chatting about what a great day it was for top-down driving. He was admiring the Z, and I was admiring the Lexus. Point is, I think we both recognized them as being different sort of beasts and gave them props for what they are. The Z is racier; the Lexus is more refined. Heck, buy both so you can drive them according to your mood.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:27 PM
LemanZ

Yesterday, I parked my ZR with the top down near the beach to have some lunch. anyway, I was just near my car. A guy (about 45 of age) driving in a gold SC just look at my car and shake his head. Can't understand what he mean!!! Sometime these happen with other driver such as SLK, boxster, s2000, ...etc

Last edited by LemanZ; 09-25-2004 at 09:32 PM.

Quick Reply: vs. Lexus sc430