Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Z hardtop looks better than Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006 | 02:11 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by C4talyst
It's my understanding that hardtops increase frame rigidity, and roadsters are a bit heavier due to the additional equipment needed to make it a convertible. I doubt I'd ever get a convertiable-anything for those reasons.

The raodster weighs about 200 lbs more then the coupe because of the added bracing, but it has lower gearing to make up for it, thats why a roadster is not much slower 0-60, although I beleive the gap does widen at the 1/4 mile where areo dynamics and the lower gearing hurts the roadster... So if performance is your #1 reason for owning a car then the coupe would be the better choice for you.

That said the roadster with its top down is a lot more fun to drive then the coupe.
Old 05-22-2006 | 05:45 PM
Viffer35Z

Visionboy, you're car looks sweet man! I was going to ask about the wheels too. I've seen those Volks but not on the roadster...they look excellent on your car. Did you keep the tire pressure sensors with the Volk's? And what about VDC? Do you have it? Any issues? My #1 wheel of choice right now are the GTR SS3's which are similar with closer spokes. I'm just too cheap to pull the trigger on them right now. I'm going to consider your Volk's too. What spoiler is that? I think you and I were chatting on the stock spoiler thread last year about what might work and look good.
Old 11-21-2006 | 12:25 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by visionboy
lol @ people who says roadsters are ugly...you need to get your eyes check. Oh wait...i can do that for you...lol

I drive my car around and get stares and compliments on daily basis....now how in the world can something so ugly get so many compliments?
Damn, that's a nice clean DB Roadie. I guess we have similar tastes.

Last edited by dutchboy350Z; 11-21-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2006 | 12:34 PM
skimnismo

http://myspace-296.vo.llnwd.net/0114...44671296_l.jpg

this is my new 2006 Grand Touring Z Roadster
Old 11-21-2006 | 12:35 PM
skimnismo

roadster is always better!!!!!
Old 11-21-2006 | 12:37 PM
Steve-O Z33

I think the roadster should somehow look more like a Solstice. Maybe a shorter wheelbase. There is too much room behind the seats/top. I wanted a convertible but I chose the hardtop instead. I love the roadsters with the top down but the top up look hasn't grown on me yet. I think maybe the touneau (sp) cover needs redesign.
Old 11-21-2006 | 12:37 PM
Hogstar

Here's an update: PIAA wheels GReedy body kit and some other stuff. I hope I posted the picture correctly.
Now?
Attached Thumbnails Z hardtop looks better than Roadster?-dscn46031a.jpg  

Last edited by Hogstar; 11-21-2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 11-21-2006 | 12:40 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by Hogstar
Here's an update: PIAA wheels GReedy body kit and some other stuff. I hope I posted the picture correctly[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Z350/DSCN46031.JPG[/IMG]
you have to find a host (photobucket.com)to show it as a Image. Otherwise you can you just attach the pic by going advanced and selecting the file management option.

might as well photowhore my car too ...

Last edited by dutchboy350Z; 11-21-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2006 | 12:46 PM
Devil Z

If Nissan made a Targa Top Z, I would seriously have an orgasm.
Old 11-21-2006 | 12:46 PM
Hogstar

Bootyful!!!
Old 11-21-2006 | 12:58 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
The raodster weighs about 200 lbs more then the coupe because of the added bracing, but it has lower gearing to make up for it, thats why a roadster is not much slower 0-60, although I beleive the gap does widen at the 1/4 mile where areo dynamics and the lower gearing hurts the roadster... So if performance is your #1 reason for owning a car then the coupe would be the better choice for you.

That said the roadster with its top down is a lot more fun to drive then the coupe.
The gearing was just a rumor. The transmission are the same otherwise coupe owners would swap it out for roadster tranny. 0-60 on a roadster is 5.8 and coupe is 5.3 so that is about right for the weight.
Old 11-21-2006 | 01:14 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
The gearing was just a rumor. The transmission are the same otherwise coupe owners would swap it out for roadster tranny. 0-60 on a roadster is 5.8 and coupe is 5.3 so that is about right for the weight.
I could have sworn the gearing was slightly different and remember reading a review stating this. But I looked up the gearing ratio in several sites and they're the same. Guess it was a rumor.
Old 11-21-2006 | 03:25 PM
Anthony C

i was looking for a hardtop but fell in love with the roadster after i drove it with the top down... now, the look with both top up and down has grown on me tremendously...

i like the hardtop for that tuner look cause you can add a wing , do a carbong fiber hood and paint the roof and what not... give it that real tuned looked BUT

the roadster gives a more mature presence and looks very classy with the top down. PLUS girls love the convertibles hehe
Old 11-22-2006 | 10:02 AM
wooochang

man...

i agree with most people that the hardtop looks better than the roadster with the top up....

that being said, i didnt get the roadster to drive around with the top up. i got it cuz its an experience.

"the roadster weighs more than the hardtop"

i dont give a crap if it weighs more. drive along pch in a roadster with the top down then do it with a hardtop. im not going to blast down pch (35 mph) going freaking 150, but im fairly certain that i enjoy the ride a lot more than a person in a hardtop since i get to experience so much more... more sounds of the waves, more smell of the ocean water, more wind, and more sun.

i dont think some of the hardtop guys get it... the power difference and the weight difference between the hardtop and the roadster is so minimal unless youre planning on tracking your car. i personally think that roadster owners definitely derive more pleasure from the drive than hardtop, because theres just much more to experience.

besides, at least in west LA, there are like 500 hardtops to every 1 roadster, so at least i can feel a little more unique.

when everthing is said and done, i do love the hardtop, and sometimes wonder if i should have gotten it cuz it does look good and probably does perform better... then i realize i cant accelerate 0 to 60 in sub 6 seconds cuz of all the traffic, but i definitely can a huge dose of sunshine from driving local streets.

i dunno guys, i would say on a weekly basis, i look up at the sky and cant help by smile at how great life is.. im freaking 27 and i bought and paid for a convertible sports car...

how many hardtop owners get that feeling?
Old 11-22-2006 | 10:07 AM
Anthony C

Originally Posted by wooochang
man...

i agree with most people that the hardtop looks better than the roadster with the top up....

that being said, i didnt get the roadster to drive around with the top up. i got it cuz its an experience.

"the roadster weighs more than the hardtop"

i dont give a crap if it weighs more. drive along pch in a roadster with the top down then do it with a hardtop. im not going to blast down pch (35 mph) going freaking 150, but im fairly certain that i enjoy the ride a lot more than a person in a hardtop since i get to experience so much more... more sounds of the waves, more smell of the ocean water, more wind, and more sun.

i dont think some of the hardtop guys get it... the power difference and the weight difference between the hardtop and the roadster is so minimal unless youre planning on tracking your car. i personally think that roadster owners definitely derive more pleasure from the drive than hardtop, because theres just much more to experience.

besides, at least in west LA, there are like 500 hardtops to every 1 roadster, so at least i can feel a little more unique.

when everthing is said and done, i do love the hardtop, and sometimes wonder if i should have gotten it cuz it does look good and probably does perform better... then i realize i cant accelerate 0 to 60 in sub 6 seconds cuz of all the traffic, but i definitely can a huge dose of sunshine from driving local streets.

i dunno guys, i would say on a weekly basis, i look up at the sky and cant help by smile at how great life is.. im freaking 27 and i bought and paid for a convertible sports car...

how many hardtop owners get that feeling?

very well put... im 21 and own an 04 6spd roadster and i gotta say, its a blast to drive with the top down. now im a guy who hated most convertible cars... and i originally wanted a hard top Z and wound up with the roadster and i love every minute of it.
Old 11-22-2006 | 04:10 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I'm a 55 white male into gangster rap and young girls. A roadster make me look hippity and tricked out daddy yo no?
Old 11-22-2006 | 05:41 PM
FAIRLADYZBABE

obviously i like the convert, but it has been referred to as a roller skate
Attached Thumbnails Z hardtop looks better than Roadster?-dsc00586car.jpg  
Old 11-22-2006 | 08:37 PM
dongkeykong

i agree with most that the roadster looks a bit odd with the top up. the top half of the car with the top up appears unproportionately small compared to the bottom half and makes the whole car look heavy. imo nissan f'd up with the roadster's design, making the car look like an afterthought. that's why i ended up getting the s2000. if i didn't want a convertible i would've gone with a white z coupe. love both the z and s for what they are but z roadster with the top up?? feel free to flame
Old 11-22-2006 | 08:51 PM
monokuroboo
CHRIS (350) FTL
Premier Member

Originally Posted by skimnismo
http://myspace-296.vo.llnwd.net/0114...44671296_l.jpg

this is my new 2006 Grand Touring Z Roadster
eekkkkk
no offense but.
when I first saw that picture,
I thought it was Kim Jong Il in that car.
=_________="
Old 11-22-2006 | 10:41 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by dongkeykong
i agree with most that the roadster looks a bit odd with the top up. the top half of the car with the top up appears unproportionately small compared to the bottom half and makes the whole car look heavy. imo nissan f'd up with the roadster's design, making the car look like an afterthought. that's why i ended up getting the s2000. if i didn't want a convertible i would've gone with a white z coupe. love both the z and s for what they are but z roadster with the top up?? feel free to flame
I have nothing against S2Ks ... I like them. But please know your role. I'll take chit from a fellow Z coupe owner, but If I wanted a glorified go cart vert I would have gotten an Elise. Sorry, your S2K might handle better but it doesn't even compare in the looks department.

I'm not a roadster fan boy, but please spare me with "if i didn't want a convertible i would've gone with a white z coupe".

Please humor us with your S2K pics. I'll take the pepsi/coke challenge and we'll see. BTW ... why are you on this site?

Last edited by dutchboy350Z; 11-22-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Z hardtop looks better than Roadster?