Notices
370Z Wheels & Tires 370Z Rims and treads

What is the benefit of running bigger wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:46 AM
newtkindred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the benefit of running bigger wheels?

I see it is a trend to go big with wheels. Am I missing something here. What is the benefit. The only benefit I see is being able to run bigger brakes. And I don't think most who go with bigger wheels upgrade the brakes with bigger rotors and calipers so why do it? Going big increases unsprung weight, increased rotational inertia, reduced acceleration do to the change in gearing, more expensive tires.

Does running lower aspect ratios decrease rolling resistance? Improve gas mileage? Perhaps it stiffens up the tire providing better cornering.

Has there been any real world tests to show the differences in performance?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 AM
freedonutss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some get bigger wheels to get bigger tires (wider). I have a few bolt ons and the stock 235 tires just dont cut it. I upgraded to bigger/wider wheels so I could mount 285s on the rear and it helps alot with traction. Some get bigger wheels for looks.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:17 AM
10-E-C-350Z

Originally Posted by newtkindred
I see it is a trend to go big with wheels. Am I missing something here. What is the benefit. The only benefit I see is being able to run bigger brakes. And I don't think most who go with bigger wheels upgrade the brakes with bigger rotors and calipers so why do it? Going big increases unsprung weight, increased rotational inertia, reduced acceleration do to the change in gearing, more expensive tires.

Does running lower aspect ratios decrease rolling resistance? Improve gas mileage? Perhaps it stiffens up the tire providing better cornering.

It all boils down to personal preference.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bigger is always better.

Bigger wheels
Bigger tires
Bigger subwoofer
Bigger TV
Bigger vagina.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 AM
10-E-C-350Z

Originally Posted by davidv
Bigger is always better.

Bigger wheels
Bigger tires
Bigger subwoofer
Bigger TV
Bigger vagina.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
my2004Z

Default Ego or Performance?

People that put 20" rims obviously are going for style. The tire itself makes a huge difference when it comes to performance. When it comes to rotational mass smaller and/or lighter is always the way to go. I guarantee that staying with the stock size but going with light weight rims will give a performance boost in accelleration. Kind of like putting slightly smaller and lighter weight pulleys on the engine.

I have heard that some folks felt that they carried more speed through corners with larger rims but that could have been because they were carrying more kinetic energy due to the increased weight. Same break effort against more weight = less stopping power. You can always do what the folks at Lotus do and go for smaller and lighter for performance or do what most Americans do and go larger and heavier for a perceived ego boost!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 AM
freedonutss

I have 20s on my cars with 285s on rear and 245s on front and the difference in acceleration is minimal. At least what the butt dyno thinks
Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bigger respect levels

plenty of bigger wheels/tires reduce weight vs stock, and certainly can offer exceptionally more levels of grip

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 02-08-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:49 PM
newtkindred

Originally Posted by my2004Z

I have heard that some folks felt that they carried more speed through corners with larger rims but that could have been because they were carrying more kinetic energy due to the increased weight. Same break effort against more weight = less stopping power. You can always do what the folks at Lotus do and go for smaller and lighter for performance or do what most Americans do and go larger and heavier for a perceived ego boost!
Hmm, I would think that as soon as one accelerates out of the corner the added weight will have an opposite effect. And rotating mass is the worse to have. I guess it depends.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Ziggyrama

I think most people go with bigger wheels for aesthetics. Bigger wheel will always carry the penalty of greater rotational inertia vs. a comparable smaller wheel. Some may argue that bigger wheels offer larger width but that's not really true. There's plenty of very good, light weight smaller wheels that come in pretty hefty widths, good enough to mount meaty tires. The truth is, from what I can tell, is that track people serious enough usually buy forged 17" wheels that can clear BBKs or stock Brembos for maximum performance. I'd say that anything bigger from there on is a compromise of performance and aesthetics....says a guy that puts 19" Rays on his car
Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM
OZ-Z

Smile They look better

They look better and are more stylish. they hold larger lower profile tires that damage easier so if you live in NY or northern area with potholes and poor road maintenance your doomed to replacement. Although you can gain some handling you lose ride smoothness and larger wheels and tires cost more.
So why do you drive a Z when you can ride a Donk car ?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Zian

Mainly an aesthetic benefit. Of course either extreme is not good...too small and you run into unwanted movement because of larger sidewalls...too large and you are simply adding unsprung rotating weight. In the end, if its performance you are looking for, something lighter than the factory rim in a similar size (possibly smaller depending on the type of track/motorsport) would be good....but then most of us spend most of our time cruising around on the streets. The 19 inch volk wheels that everyone here puts on their Zs simply look great, and probably cost waaay too much (tires and all) for most of us to take on the track. Best of both worlds IMO is track rims (or the stock rims) and DD rims that are pretty.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newtkindred

I dunno... what is the benefit of a bigger dick?

exactly the same as bigger rims:

chicks like you more
Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
RIMTUCK

___

Last edited by RIMTUCK; 08-16-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:45 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth

chicks like you more
Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 AM
GodSendsDeath

Originally Posted by Motormouth

chicks like you more
Old 02-13-2009, 03:23 AM
superz2004

You definitely would want a bigger dick especially if you now have a bigger vagina to work with along with these 'big' is better wishful thoughts! hehe

Point is sometimes wishing everything big is not the way to go.

No one wants to be the hotdog in the hallway!