Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Reccomened aftermarket rear speakers for base HU?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 04:48 PM
jerseydawg2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zcarnut
Thanks.Ive actually had thoughts on buying the Touring models pannel for the vent and doing that.Didnt realize there was so much room in there.
But first,im going to give these Kenwoods a shot up front and do the rear setup later.If it burns up the deck,the dealer will replace it no problem.Im a ex coworker there who left on good terms!

I prefer a "hidden" aftermarket system if you know what I mean.Nice OEM look and less attractive to theft.
I take it my pannel behind the seat just pops right off?
Oh yeah, just slide a butter knife along the side and tilt the knife handle toward the outside edge of the car. That top will come off easier than a coed's at a frat party. You might find that your car came with the stock bracket for the BOSE subwoofer. You have to use an open air subwoofer to make this work, and it isn't worth the hassle. Better to get rid of the bracket so you have room to work inside the cubby. Just pull the center console out (5 screws), pull up the driver side sill, remove the weather seal, and pop the driver side panel off. Now you can pop the plastic that surrounds the cubby hole opening off just enough to take out the eighteen or so 10 mm bolts they have that bracket held in place with. Then you can sell it for $25 like I did. This will open up the room you have to work with when you install your box.

I know what you mean about hidden. I really had to twist my nipples to give up on the factory non-Bose head unit. I comprimised and got a Pioneer double din unit that fills the space well and matches the dash pretty well. I get exponentially better sound and don't have to stare at the stupid shelf the single DIN headunits usually stick you with.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:52 PM
jerseydawg2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zcarnut
Thanks.Ive actually had thoughts on buying the Touring models pannel for the vent and doing that.Didnt realize there was so much room in there.
But first,im going to give these Kenwoods a shot up front and do the rear setup later.If it burns up the deck,the dealer will replace it no problem.Im a ex coworker there who left on good terms!

I prefer a "hidden" aftermarket system if you know what I mean.Nice OEM look and less attractive to theft.
I take it my pannel behind the seat just pops right off?
Oh yeah, just slide a butter knife along the side and tilt the knife handle toward the outside edge of the car. That top will come off easier than a coed's at a frat party. You might find that your car came with the stock bracket for the BOSE subwoofer. You have to use an open air subwoofer to make this work, and it isn't worth the hassle. Better to get rid of the bracket so you have room to work inside the cubby. Just pull the center console out (5 screws), pull up the driver side sill, remove the weather seal, and pop the driver side panel off. Now you can pop the plastic that surrounds the cubby hole opening off just enough to take out the eighteen or so 10 mm bolts they have that bracket held in place with. Then you can sell it for $25 like I did. This will open up the room you have to work with when you install your box.

I know what you mean about hidden. I really had to twist my nipples to give up on the factory non-Bose head unit. I comprimised and got a Pioneer double din unit that fills the space well and matches the dash pretty well. I get exponentially better sound and don't have to stare at the stupid shelf the single DIN headunits usually stick you with.

Almost forgot. If you listen to rap or heavy metal with a lot of bass guitar, you will really benefit from a subwoofer. I did what you are doing and definitely had better sound from your approach. The only problem is that the lower bass frequencies tend to stress out those 6.5" midbass speakers and result in distortion. When I finally got my system finished, I sent everythign below 160hz to the sub and set the deck to filter out everything below 160hz to the main channels. Now I don't get any distortion out of those 6.5's and I can sell most of the dynamat I bought for the doors.

Last edited by jerseydawg2000; 01-19-2005 at 04:54 PM.