Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sub Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002 | 07:13 PM
drmjadams

Default Sub Help!

Like most people I'm in love with the JL 10W7 sub. Does anyone know if this would fit in the stock location? How might it sound?

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2002 | 07:42 AM
aggie300zx

Will not fit in factory location......unless of course you want to modify all of the paneling around that area...and then still it probably won't fit!
Old 11-04-2002 | 08:56 AM
onecoolee

Default some potential help (based on rumors and my reading)...

The stock subwoofer compartment, once its sealed gives you about .7 cu ft of airspace. This is pretty small. I think most 10" subs want .75-1 cu ft sealed, if they are well designed. I know the 10w7 wants 1 cu ft min, but the biggest problem is the mounting depth. THe 10w7 is HUGE! It requires almost 10" of depth to mount that enormous magnet. I have heard great things about the 10w7 and it would sound great in a Z, but it sounds like you may be talking about a ccompletely custom application and not just a simple drop-in...like you are thinking. From what I have read, very few subs fit the stock location without adding a trim ring. So it sounds like the factory sub is a little on the wimpy side, and could use an upgrade.

Personally, I am considering sealing off that space (dynamat and mdf), and possibly using a JL 10W6 in the factory location (.6 cu ft req'd) being powered by a Phoenix Gold ZX amp. I always liked the quality of 10w6's, and they do sound nice...probably not like a 10w7, but I would like to keep the upgrade as stealth and stock-liek as possible, and that wouldn't be an option for 75% of the subs on the market today.

Best of luck on your sub hunt, and please report back your findings. As soon as I get my Z, I may be able to provide more detailed help to those considering some audio upgrades.
Old 11-04-2002 | 10:48 AM
Bjmnzzzz

Default Re: some potential help (based on rumors and my reading)...

Originally posted by onecoolee
The stock subwoofer compartment, once its sealed gives you about .7 cu ft of airspace. This is pretty small. I think most 10" subs want .75-1 cu ft sealed, if they are well designed. I know the 10w7 wants 1 cu ft min, but the biggest problem is the mounting depth. THe 10w7 is HUGE! It requires almost 10" of depth to mount that enormous magnet. I have heard great things about the 10w7 and it would sound great in a Z, but it sounds like you may be talking about a ccompletely custom application and not just a simple drop-in...like you are thinking. From what I have read, very few subs fit the stock location without adding a trim ring. So it sounds like the factory sub is a little on the wimpy side, and could use an upgrade.

Personally, I am considering sealing off that space (dynamat and mdf), and possibly using a JL 10W6 in the factory location (.6 cu ft req'd) being powered by a Phoenix Gold ZX amp. I always liked the quality of 10w6's, and they do sound nice...probably not like a 10w7, but I would like to keep the upgrade as stealth and stock-liek as possible, and that wouldn't be an option for 75% of the subs on the market today.

Best of luck on your sub hunt, and please report back your findings. As soon as I get my Z, I may be able to provide more detailed help to those considering some audio upgrades.
I dropped an Infinity Perfect 10 into factory location with dynamat and mdf and I love it. Installer placed a small dial to the top left of Auto Shift so I can easily adjust the sub depending upon music source. In addition, we mounted 4 Infinity Kappa 63.5 (3-ways) to the factory locations, including dynamat, and power the whole setup with Kicker 700.5. I've never been accused of being an audiophile, however, I love this setup! Plenty of adjustments in the factory HU for my ears. In fact, it's the best sound system I've ever had in a car.

I added the Pioneer AVIC 90DVD Nav System and (originally) a Farenheit 5.8" LCDScreen to the factory location. I say originally, because on the 4th day of a 15 day roadtrip to the southwest, my Farenheit blew a circuit (smoke and everything). Well, since my pappy told me you get what you pay for, I replaced the Farenheit with a 7" Micrsovision Screen. Bigger size. Fts extremely well, and has better resolution. I "worked" the Las Vegas stereo shop with my tale of woe and was able to work a "family deal" for $350 including labor. I like the 7" screen a lot better! Anyway, back to the sound system...

Using an FM Modulator, we tied the Pioneer to the sound system via 88.7fm. I purchased a DVD of "Pearl Harbor", and absolutely blew my mind, especially during the battle scenes, with diving Zeros, crashing bombs, machine guns, etc.

I drove up to a stop light during afternoon drive time, opened my windows, dialed up the sub, and cranked up the volume playing one particularly rockin battle scene. That resulted in an intersection of fellow commuters ducking for cover and nervously searching the skies for enemy aircraft. Too too funny, man!

I know. now that was a cruel prank to pull... but lol, with my sick sense of humor, funny just the same.

Point is, my entire Stereo/DVD/Nav system flat out ROCKS!

In total, it cost me an arm and a leg, but, being the gadget guy that I am, I know, I will never regret the expenditure.
Old 11-04-2002 | 05:34 PM
drmjadams

Bjmnzzzz, can we see some pics?
Old 11-04-2002 | 05:36 PM
drmjadams

If you dynamat the inside fo the hole would that be sufficient or would you stil need to build an enclosure in it?

I've heard that the opening for the sub isn't 10" and so some subs don't fit. Has anyone else found that to be the case? If so how did you fix that?
Old 11-04-2002 | 06:00 PM
rouxeny

Hey you replaced the screen? Got any pics or links of your new screen? I'm really hoping to fit a 7" in there still.

I'm still bothered that you have to tune to a specific radio station in order to hear the audio on the nav. I'd really want it to come over whatever you're listening to, like the factory one does. Is there some way to accomplish that?
Old 11-05-2002 | 04:25 AM
onecoolee

Default There is probably a way...

I have yet to get my Z, so I don't know exactly how the NAV system is integrated into the audio. However, I have seen gates that have the capability of muting the audio. But, I don't think these are necessary. There should be a mute input to the factory head unit, that needs to be hooked up. THis will mute the head unit audio, so that the nav can be heard. This input is probably either ground or +12V (just a guess). If you install an aftermarket NAV system that is not integrated, you should be able to tie it into the factory head unit by connecting the mute output of the nav system to the mute input of the head unit. You will have to make sure that the proper signal is applied to get the mute to work like it should. I beleive that I heard somehwere in the forums that the mute on the factory head unit is expecting is opposite of what actually gets outputted from most aftermarket nav systems, and all you need to do in this situation is install a relay to switch the proper signal. You can find diagrams online everywhere for proper relay usage.
If you are uncertain as to what you are doing, make sure you get help from a local install shop, as a good shop will have done several nav systems, and should be able to debug the workings of the Nissan installed system. They can also install a relay for you to switch the proper signal for the muting.
I ordered a Touring model, so I guess I will be getting the factory Bose...like it or not. I am planning some audio upgrades, such as speakers, sub and amp, but will most likely leave the head unit, and nav intact. If the head unit sounds horrible after these upgrades, I will consider a new HU. I think the only thing I may miss with the factory nav, will be dvd playing capabilities. Alot of people are adding aftermarket nav and getting dvd play capability as well, and I feel that is important, and should have been included in the factory nav package.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-05-2002 | 04:29 AM
Subw00er

The stock location I've found is not a great place for a sub. I built an enclosure in there and it sucked.. I put it my 10w6v2 in a prefab box temporrily i the back and its a lot better. Go for a rear-firing box that fits under the strut tower brace or soemthing.
Old 11-08-2002 | 09:20 AM
Bjmnzzzz

Originally posted by drmjadams
Bjmnzzzz, can we see some pics?
Sorry for the delay in replying. I am on a 2 week roadtrip with the new Z.

I had the installer take beaucoup pictures, however, he used a film camera and did not have a CD of pictures ready for me before I left on the trip. I expect to be home around the 15th at which time I will try to post the pics.

After 3000 miles in my Z with the upgraded stereo and Pioneer Nav, I am truly stoked! What a terrific system!! The Infinity Perfect 10 in custom enclosure at factory location is, to my untrained ear, simply awesome. When I dial up the sub on hard hitting tunes like Michael Jackson's Beat It, I can rattle the windows for a block. I try hard not to do that, however. :>)
Old 11-08-2002 | 10:24 AM
shoalhaven

Question Sub help

Bjmnzzzz --

You mentioned having the work done in a Las Vegas stereo shop.

Could you let me know the name & tel. number of that shop, and also:

Did they sell and install your new monitor?

Can you still close the NAV door?

Did they remove and replace your console, and did they do a good professional job?

I could sure use your information.
Old 06-27-2003 | 06:30 AM
mannyman

Default Trim Ring

What is a trim ring? Is this something that I have to build or buy? I can't find any subwoofer that feets these holes perfectly. Does the infinity Kappa fit perfectly without mods? Thanks