Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

350z only runs on starter fluid

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
CocochickenOP

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 350z only runs on starter fluid

Hello, after almost a year of not having the car road legal i finally registered it only for it to randomly die on my way to a school final a month later , i had to get it towed home, this was two months ago , since then i first drained the old gas and replaced the fuel pump and put fresh gas , the gas that came out looked good in the clear silicon lines but when in the bucket it looked awful and brown, but the fuel pump filter was clean , the starter and battery died so i replaced them , i then replaced the intake gaskets for both plenums, with no luck, i repalced all camshaft and crank sensors , i just today replaced the fuel rail with injectors also with no luck, throughout all of this the car would start and rev when spraying starter fluid directily into the throttle body, and i have a good scan tool and the only code to exist was for the disconnected maf (so i could spray starter fluid directly into tb) any ideas ?? rogue sensor that isnt tripping any codes??, my best guess is that fuel hasnt reached the fuel rail yet since disconnecting the lines so maybe i should use my scantool to run the fuel pump for half a minute before starting , thanks
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,307 Likes on 907 Posts

Just a guess, but it sounds like fuel pressure is not holding at the fuel rail. Spark, fuel and air. Of the three, have you tried measuring fuel pressure itself at the injectors?
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM
CocochickenOP

i tried but the only way is to order some decently expensive adapters, i did try manually feeding the engine fuel with a mechanical liquid transfer pump coming from a jerry can and it worked but the engine ran rough, as i mentioned i did replace the fuel pump but admittedly used a cheap one , and the one that was in the car prior was the exact same cheap one granted it had lasted almost a year , i will like to mention that the lines leading up to the fuel damper was leaking and managed to get twisted badly so i will replace that promptly.
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,307 Likes on 907 Posts

Without consistent line pressure, the VQ will not start and run consistently. I suggest trying to ensure all fuel lines are clean, straight and flowing properly before trying again. A better fuel pump might also be needed.

Last edited by dkmura; Yesterday at 05:36 PM.
Old Today, 12:27 PM
CocochickenOP

I have a feeling their is a massive air pocket in my fuel line, what can i do to ensure their is fuel at the injectors themselves, like bleeding it or such, i was thinking about purposely creating a leak at the fuel damper and run the pump until i see fuel coming out and then tightening it