Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

V1 install, display in mirror

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 08:55 AM
all_bark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that mount in the mirror!

great idea, real clean and professional...
Old 12-27-2004, 09:26 AM
350zluvr

Wow! I must say the install looks very clean and professional. Great Job man!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Alang

So did you just scrape off the reflective backing on a section of the mirror so it would show through? Any issues with fitting the remote unit inside the mirror housing?

Great job, more details on how you got the remote display inside the mirror would be helpful.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:56 AM
BrickydZ

Default Miirror install

Could you give us a play by play on the interior install to the mirror.?
Old 12-27-2004, 05:27 PM
SunsetZ33

Originally posted by Alang
So did you just scrape off the reflective backing on a section of the mirror so it would show through? Any issues with fitting the remote unit inside the mirror housing?

Great job, more details on how you got the remote display inside the mirror would be helpful.
I did scrape the reflective backing off the mirror so the display would show through. It took quite a bit of time to get the reflective backing and the black protective coating off the back of the mirror. I taped off the area around what I wanted to remove and very slowy (with a razor blade ) scraped off the coatings. I then used a large pencil type eraser to finish removing the reflective metal film coating.
I first disassembled the V1 remote display to find a place in the mirror it would fit. The display is way too big intact. Only the V1 display circuit board, lens, and lens cover would fit. I had to shorten the lens cover about a half inch. The part of the display lens cover that houses the mute button had to be removed.
I also had to do some cutting with a dremel inside the mirror to remove some of the plastic case bracing.
The mirror circuit board takes up most of the center section. The homelink circuit board takes up all the empty space on the left side of the mirror. There was only room to mount the V1 display on the right side. Once I found a suitable place for the V1 display, I worked on getting it mounted flush with the back of the glass. Then I marked the area on the mirror where the display should show through and started removing the coatings. I mounted a RJ11 telephone jack on the back side of the mirror case to plug the V1 cable into.
I don't have any pictures of the install because I didn't know if I would be able to use the mirror once it was done.
I plan to do another one before long and sell it on ebay. I'll take pictures of that one while I do it.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:55 PM
ssc

very nice, man...i dont think i have the patience to do something like that...i would rather pay somebody to have it done
Old 12-27-2004, 09:00 PM
maserom

Would you mind explaining how you installed the fuse box and direct wire adapter and what is needed.
Thanks. Great Job!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:58 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brilliant!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:15 PM
nitrousoxidex

Slick...
Old 12-28-2004, 05:18 AM
FurtureZOnwer

damn thats a pretty clean setup, btw... did you cut your finger while trying to hide them wires.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:16 AM
SunsetZ33

Originally posted by maserom
Would you mind explaining how you installed the fuse box and direct wire adapter and what is needed.
Thanks. Great Job!
First, I found a place near the fuse box to mount the Direct Wire Adapter ( marked in yellow in the picture ). You can't see it in the picture because it's hidden by the adapter. But there is a 3/8 inch screw ( like the one marked in green in the picture ) about 3 inches above the fuse box that holds a metal bracket holding the cable harness to the side of the car.

I made an L shaped metal bracket ( see pic of similar below ) to mount to the car with the screw mentioned above and attached the Direct Wire Adapter to the end of the bracket with hot glue and a very small screw.
I attached the ground wire for the adapter to the car with the same screw I used to attach the bracket.

The 4th fuse slot in the top of the fuse box in my car was empty and has power on the bottom terminal of the slot when the ignition switch is in both the ACC and ON positions so I used it for power to the Direct Wire adapter.
Marked in pink is the fuse holder pluged into the fuse box.

I bought a fuse holder from Auto Zone that uses the same size fuses as the car and plugs into the fuse box. I think it was called "Add a Circuit" ( see pic below ) I connected the red wire from the V1 adapter to the fuse holder.
Attached Thumbnails V1 install, display in mirror-directwire.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 06:17 AM
SunsetZ33

pic of bracket
Attached Thumbnails V1 install, display in mirror-bracket.jpg  
Old 12-28-2004, 06:17 AM
SunsetZ33

pic of fuse holder.
This fuse holder will actually hold 2 fuses. One for the original circuit and one for a new circuit.
My car didn't have anything in this fuse slot in the fuse box so I'm only using the "new" circuit fuse.
You can barely see it in this picture. Sorry my camera won't focus that close.
Attached Thumbnails V1 install, display in mirror-fuseholder.jpg  

Last edited by SunsetZ33; 12-28-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:21 AM
SunsetZ33

Originally posted by FurtureZOnwer
damn thats a pretty clean setup, btw... did you cut your finger while trying to hide them wires.
it wouldn't be a proper install without a little blood.
I did it pulling off those #*@&!$ interior panels.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:34 AM
johnlotusboy

How do you get inside the rearview mirror?
I want to mod the dimming circuit. My Nismo wing shadows the pickup eye, I might add a variable adjustment to the rear side of mirror.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:06 AM
daytona350

Default Re: V1 install, display in mirror

Originally posted by SunsetZ33
Sorry for all the mis-spelled words. I was just typing away and didn't think to go back and check my spelling.
Here's a pic from the rear with the hatch closed.
The rear window looks like a great place to mount your V1 but one question. When your driving does the main V1 until still light up with radar with the remote until hooked up? If so wouldn't this visible through your back window?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:58 AM
twinship

What's next... a cure for cancer?

Seriously, nice work!
Old 12-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Reggi914

wow, very very very impressed
Old 12-28-2004, 09:35 AM
SunsetZ33

Originally posted by johnlotusboy
How do you get inside the rearview mirror?
I want to mod the dimming circuit. My Nismo wing shadows the pickup eye, I might add a variable adjustment to the rear side of mirror.
The front (mirror side) snaps into the back ( windshield side ) of the mirror with small plastic tabs. I used a very small flathead screwdriver to gently pry the mirror apart. The facing around the mirror glass will completely come off the mirror leaving everything else intact inside the back part of the mirror case.
It's very easy to scratch/dent the mirror housing while prying it apart. There are several snap tabs around the perimeter of the mirror. The toughest ones to get "un-snapped" were the ones on the bottom between the homelink buttons.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:41 AM
SunsetZ33

Default V1 install, display in mirror

Originally posted by daytona350
The rear window looks like a great place to mount your V1 but one question. When your driving does the main V1 until still light up with radar with the remote until hooked up? If so wouldn't this visible through your back window?
The Main V1 unit is completely dark when the Remote display is hooked up. Only the Remote Display illuminates.

You could mount the remote display somewhere out of view from other cars behind you to keep them from being able to see your detector warnings.

Quick Reply: V1 install, display in mirror