Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Macintosh In Z PC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:39 PM
sundevil67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macintosh In Z PC?

Looking for threads from anyone that has done this - apple just came out with a very cool machine that might be perfect for this application:

http://www.apple.com/macmini

interested to see if anyone has plans to use this or has already tried to use a mac as a media center for thier Z.

Thanks.

sundevil67
Old 01-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Shahrum

Yeah, just saw that today. While it's cool, I just don't think there are many (or any) nice apps out there for car PC's. Hense the term car *pc* and not car *mac*.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:21 PM
ZIABLO
I am Batman

down with mac
Old 01-11-2005, 05:56 PM
photoz

Macs are for the uber cool peeps...

Until you're made the switch, you don't know what you are missing.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:29 PM
sundevil67

True - the only one I've seen is this guy: http://www.mac-mobile.com/ but there is no way to contact him; it seems he is running lots of mac-native stuff, but has had to resort to Virtual PC. Maybe I'll give this a shot - would definitely be the only one on the block with a mobile Macintosh....

Anyone know how to get more info on that image-engineering site? The in-z-pc? There is nothing up there.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:14 PM
desiZ

photoz: cool ? lol... good one... mac / apple's are made for 2 kinds of "peeps":-
1. Basic users who have no clue of computers
2. Graphic Designers

Try this test:-
Take a windows/pc user and give him a mac, he'll figure it out in a day or less
Take a mac user and give him a pc, he'll be clueless.. Have seen this umpteen number of times...

Back to the thread, Shahrum is rite, there is literally no worthwhile software for the mac intended for car-pc use, plus, on mp3car forum, you'll get most of the software u needed for free , which is ONLY pc-compatible. Hmmm now i wonder why no one would code mac software if it was only for cool people... hmm i guess ppl who use pc's are not... cough cough...
Old 01-11-2005, 09:10 PM
MacGuru

Originally posted by sundevil67
True - the only one I've seen is this guy: http://www.mac-mobile.com/ but there is no way to contact him; it seems he is running lots of mac-native stuff, but has had to resort to Virtual PC. Maybe I'll give this a shot - would definitely be the only one on the block with a mobile Macintosh....

Anyone know how to get more info on that image-engineering site? The in-z-pc? There is nothing up there.
Mac users are not just creative geeks! And for that matter, they're not clueless. Different strokes for different folks.

Yes, I have a G4 set-up tested and ready to be installed. Unfortunately, I've been pretty busy and have not had the time to finish this project. I should have this completely installed within the next month. If anyone has questions reguarding my set-up, feel free to send me a PM or post here.

As for Navigation, the only solution thus far has been to run it through VPC. I currently have Street Atlas 2005 with Earthmate, but I don't like it much. Ideally we need an OSX native version GPS navigation software. But it doesn't look like that's coming anytime soon.

All the best. -m
Old 01-12-2005, 08:23 AM
sundevil67

I am a professional web developer and after many years using a PC, I made the switch to Mac and couldn't be happier. My Powerbook G4 is the most capable computer I've ever owned, a perfect combination of power and portability. OSX is so far superior to anything that has ever come out of Redmond - it isn't even close. My Dell has been collecting dust ever since the apple arrived. I have to dispute the theory of Mac users being clueless graphic designers - just isn't true. There are many experienced computer users out there who choose Macintosh.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:26 AM
sundevil67

Default Linux vs Windows Media Center Edition vs XP

I would love to see any pics or information you have about your install. While I am a definite Mac-person, I may relent and go with a PC for this application simply because of software availability and cost.

I may just run Linux though so I can say FU to MS. LOL. Truthfully though, from what I've read there are lots of "dashboard" type applications available for Linux; what everyone uses with their modded Xboxes. I am curious to know what users on this board have thought about using XP vs Media Center Edition Vs Linux....any thoughts?

sundevil67

Originally posted by MacGuru
Mac users are not just creative geeks! And for that matter, they're not clueless. Different strokes for different folks.

Yes, I have a G4 set-up tested and ready to be installed. Unfortunately, I've been pretty busy and have not had the time to finish this project. I should have this completely installed within the next month. If anyone has questions reguarding my set-up, feel free to send me a PM or post here.

As for Navigation, the only solution thus far has been to run it through VPC. I currently have Street Atlas 2005 with Earthmate, but I don't like it much. Ideally we need an OSX native version GPS navigation software. But it doesn't look like that's coming anytime soon.

All the best. -m
Old 01-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Shahrum

XP Media Center edition would be fine if you plan on using that as the interface. But a lot of people with car *pc's* tend to go towards applications made to be separate interfaces. Thus, a sole XP installation would suffice.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:54 AM
desiZ

i used media center edition (2005) initially in my car pc, was great no problems, only thing is the media center application is catered for a remote, not for touch screen, as was my case. if you don't use the media center app, its as good as regular ol xp.

w.r.t. OSX being the great operating system , there are endless bugs to it just as the case with XP, and i say that with total impartiality even though i'm ex-microsoft. difference is that its easy to write your own software and do tweaks with XP.. which is not the case with a mac.

i agree its a great OS for doing photoshop /illustrator work cause the displays are amazing. XP actually took a mac turn when it launced its new GUI.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:34 AM
510dat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

photoz: cool ? lol... good one... mac / apple's are made for 2 kinds of "peeps":-
1. Basic users who have no clue of computers
2. Graphic Designers
dictionary.com
"personal computer
n. Abbr. PC

A computer built around a microprocessor for use by an individual, as in an office or at home or school."

for you "peeps" PC= personal computer (consumer computer, not a mainframe) = IBM = Dell = Macintosh

Try this test:-
Take a windows/pc user and give him a mac, he'll figure it out in a day or less
Take a mac user and give him a pc, he'll be clueless..
good thing you're not clueless
Old 01-12-2005, 11:47 AM
510dat

I started off using "PCs," and was not a fan of Macs for a long time. Then I started a job where I had to use them daily. Now, I use both Macs and IBM-compatible computers on a daily basis, I have both at home, and use both for graphic design, websurfing, and gaming.

Day in and day out, my older, 'slower' Mac is easier to use and maintain, and is far more stable. It's almost immune to internet viruses (nobody writes them for Mac), getting two of them to talk to each other is immensely easier (just get the right Firewire cable, and move your files over; it's faster than any ethernet cable).

They really only have three drawbacks:
1. price
2. customability (can't build your own)
3. software availability (there is pretty much a program comparable to anything an IBM has, just not the 3 or 4 options)
Old 01-12-2005, 12:27 PM
monkey7

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think its your choice. You can use mac or pc to do what you like. Output is almost the same for consumer base users, connect to the internet, graphics, games, spreadsheets, reports, etc.

Come to think about the mac in the car would be neat. you can shove it in one of the little mailbox.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:53 PM
MacGuru

Here's my photochop of the Mac Mini in the center console. It would be nice to see a touch screen compatible dashboard app. Although I'm not a programmer, I've been told it's not any more difficult or different to writing code for Mac OSX than it is for WinXP. I've played around a bit with Xcode and Interface Builder (which are developer apps available with OSX) which allow you to write applications and it can be done. Someone with a little program knowledge and a little time can easily put together a "dahsboard" like interface for our touch screens using Xcode. For now, I use the "Dock" and make the icons really big. iTunes can be tricky with the touch screen. This is why I built the touch pad ash tray. Move your finger (up and down) along the right hand side of the touch pad to scroll and cick with a slight tap. Touch the upper right corner and you will get a "contextual menu" which is the equivalent to the Right-Click in Windows.
Attached Thumbnails Macintosh In Z PC?-z_minimac.jpg  
Old 01-12-2005, 06:39 PM
maxipad96

So you have a mac in your car MacGuru?

I am a huge mac guy. My proffession is graphic design so it goes hand in hand.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:44 PM
sundevil67

Do you have more pics of your Mac based system? I would love to see some more detail.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:26 PM
MacGuru

check out the website. I just updated pics and video. http://mac-mobile.com
Old 01-13-2005, 06:05 AM
Shahrum

Oh, so you don't actually have it in your car yet? Seems pretty cool. Do you know of any actual interfaces made to be 7 inch touch screen friendly heh. I'm a Windows user but also an iPod owner so I use iTunes as my media player in XP. However, I think I'd find navigating through songs a tad bit difficult with my big fingers!! I might mean to click on one song and accidently hit one next to it.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:05 AM
alininger2001

That would be great for mp3's and dvd's, but not so good for other applications such as phone or gps. Can you buy an in car pc for around $500 dollars, normally macs are pretty high in cost.

Quick Reply: Macintosh In Z PC?