Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Satelite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 11:27 AM
silverz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satelite Radio

I am thinking of putting satelite radio in my Z and have a few questions for you guys/girls....
- Which is better - Sirius or XM?
- Does the weather effect the reception at all?
- Can I still listen to local channels?
- Are all stations digital quality?
Any information on satelite radios would be great, since I know nothing about them.

Thanks,
Old 11-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

"I am thinking of putting satelite radio in my Z and have a few questions for you guys/girls....
- Which is better - Sirius or XM?
- Does the weather effect the reception at all?
- Can I still listen to local channels?
- Are all stations digital quality?
Any information on satelite radios would be great, since I know nothing about them."

Do a search on the word Satellite Radio or XM radio and you'll see several threads on this. Mine has install photos as well.

I think XM is better and there are rumors that Sirius is in Serious financial trouble. My choice of XM is just my opinion however.

Weather so far has not effected my reception but I know that extremely heavy rainfall can drop out your signal on occasion. I have seen that with my home satellite (TV).

No local channels. These are not "real" stations that are available on regular radio. These are purely broadcast for XM listeners.

All the stations are digital and are chrystal clear.

Check out this website for more info: http://www.xmradio.com/index.html
Old 11-08-2002, 03:31 PM
grogsnorf

Again sirius just got big $$$ backing them and signed a deal with ford daimler chysler......and bmw to start installing.......xm has a contract but no $$$....... sirius will outlast xm
grogs
Old 11-08-2002, 07:02 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

One other difference between the two is that there is a monthly fee ($10) for the XM subscription and most of the channels are commercial free. Not sure ablut Sirius. I think it costs less a month but has fewer commercial free channels.
Old 11-09-2002, 04:23 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
One other difference between the two is that there is a monthly fee ($10) for the XM subscription and most of the channels are commercial free. Not sure ablut Sirius. I think it costs less a month but has fewer commercial free channels.
I thought there were two prices with XM? One with commercials and one without. Is this true?

Also, for installation, does anything physically hook up to your existing HU? I read on an XM site that the XM receiver rebroadcasts to a free FM station.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 11-09-2002, 12:19 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

I don't think there is one commercial free and one with commercials. If there is, it isn't mentioned on their web site nor did the installer tell me about it.

The unit I use (a pioneer) uses and FM modulator and I have noticed no loss of quality at all. You tune your radio to 89.1 and it comes it chrystal clear. This isn't a function of XM however. It depends on what unit you buy. There are units that are "XM ready" and you hook up directly to them thus no modulator.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:21 PM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
I don't think there is one commercial free and one with commercials. If there is, it isn't mentioned on their web site nor did the installer tell ne about it.

The unit I use (a pioneer) uses and FM modulator and I have noticed no loss of quality at all. You tune your radio to 89.1 and it comes it chrystal clear. This isn't a function of XM however. It depends on what unit you buy. There are units that are "XM ready" and you hook up directly to them thus no modulator.
Thanks for clearing this up for me.

I am glad to hear about the 89.1. That is what I had heard. The good thing is that XM works with ANY FM stereo then.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 11-12-2002, 04:02 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

The Pioneer is very small and should fit in there easily I would think. Look at the pics of the unit in my thread. Search for "My XM Satellite Radio Install" or something to that effect and you can see how small it is.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:53 AM
silverz

Default MF Smith

I believe that somewhere on this website someoone mounted their Satelite Radio antenna on the strut brace in the rear hatch area. Awesome idea if the reception is good. I will be doing that if I can get it to work.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:49 AM
stungeon
Charter Member #63

I mounted mine on the plastic part of the strut bar. Reception is fine and it looks great.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:57 AM
Lightning

there are many misconceptions regarding satellite radio, and the foremost of these is antenna location. you absolutely can mount the antenna inside the car - where in the car depends on the car itself, but it will work 99 times out of 100. i've yet to run across a car we've installed XM or Sirius in that didn't work somewhere inside the car. there are many cars (such as the Z or my old S2000) that are difficult to mount an antenna to without looking awkward. inside works! don't let it hold you back!
seth
Old 11-28-2002, 07:50 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

This is correct. Mine is inside the car and is on the plastic part of the rear strut brace. When I told the installer that that was where I wanted it (after reading that someone had already done it), they told me they couldn't do it. They said something about it having to be applied to the metal of the car on the roof. I insisted they do it the way I asked and they were surprised that it worked just fine. I get a great signal. The only time it drops out is if the Southern sky (where the satellite is) is blocked by structures (buildings, trees with a bunch of leaves, overhead coverings like at gas stations) and even then, it doesn't always drop out with these. For example, INSIDE my garage with the door CLOSED it still comes in fine. I haven't figured that one out yet???
Old 11-29-2002, 06:37 PM
12SecZ

Default I went with XM over Sirious

The main reason I chose XM is becuase they don't compress their music before broadcasting it, unlike the other company that does compress it. There was an article on this in the latest Car Audio and Electronics mag.

Mine will be done tomorow. I went with the Pioneer MP840 Head Unit and the Pioneer Module (not FM Modulator.)

Can this peice (that doesn't dial into FM) still be mounted inside the car? They told me 4 inches off the rear glass on the top of the car. I would like mine inside too if possible.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:25 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

It doesn't matter what unit you have as to where you put the antenna, it just depends on the antenna. I used the Sony antenna. It is the smallest one out there as far as I know. It is a little smaller than an standard computer mouse. The installers will tell you that you HAVE to put it outside on metal, but trust me, you really don't have to. Mine is on the plastic part of the rear strut and I too have a Pioneer unit. Works just fine.

Here is my antenna:

Sony AN XM100 antenna
Old 11-29-2002, 07:55 PM
12SecZ

Thumbs up Thanks!

I think mine is the Pioneer. I am going to call them tomorow at 10am when they open and have mine put inside too.
Glad I read this, I was worried about someone snagging it.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:58 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Max: Here are the pics of my XM radio install and the antenna placement:

Dr Bonz XM install Pics
Old 11-29-2002, 09:17 PM
12SecZ

Thumbs up Thanks for the link

I will have pics up of my entire system Sunday including XM stuff.
This is the head unit I will be using.

http://store2.yimg.com/I/caraudiovideo_1715_430134