Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

aftermarket audio upgrade for 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 08:32 AM
dmcgibbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket audio upgrade for 350Z

do you think car radios will start being able to play mp3's soon? i have an alpine 7897 and love it b/c i put like 10 cds of music on one mp3 cd and it gives all the title/id tag info on the display, etc. i like how the stock radios look in cars and wouldn't want to remove it but i really want to be able to play mp3's...

we might be getting a Z soon but after searching through posts the Bose system seems like its a disappointment. I love how it looks stock and don't want to add an aftermarket headunit, but I have an Alpine 7897 in my Jeep that I could put in the car and then I can play my mp3's (even tho it has green lights so might not look that great in the car) However, that would leave another empty din of space - what should you put there? I wish Alpine made an indash cd changer or something like nissan and car companies and nakamichi makes. I wish nissan put the stereo higher instead of leaving a big receptacle where the nav should go and then they could have put cupholders, tray on the console like most other cars. anyway, I'm not going to get the nav from nissan, but would like to put in a monitor and add a dvd player and tv tuner but haha that is not realistic! i was wondering what i could put in the other din of space if i put the alpine 7897 head unit in the car? What have other people done? ALSO, if I wanted to put in the Alpine CD changer, could I fit that in one of the receptacles behind the seat (the two little rectangles) with little modification? That would be awesome! Basically, what other upgrades and creative things have people done to their nissan's? thanks!

the nakamichi head unit would look GREAT in the way...

as a dream system, i'd like to put MB Quartz PSD216 components up front (coaxes and tweeters in the door) and then just get MB Quartz coaxes for the rear behind the seats and then get a JL 10" sub to put behind the seat and then a jl 500/5 amp. then put the alpine DVD below the alpine 7897 in the double din dash and put in a 7" screen so that it does DVD, nav, and TV haha but that would be a fortune! What I don't understand is my stock crappy Jeep Grand Cherokee speakers sound better than the MB quartz and JL components - i mean they have MUCH worse sound quality etc. but it is a warmer sound and more bass (even tho not well defined bass). Oh well, I'll just have to dream...

OH btw, where does everyone put amps? I saw a post with one in the trunk aft of the strut bar and i know you can put one in the locking passenger bin but i'd like to keep that empty or still usable and dont want to lose trunk space. Can you put an amp under the passenger seat or somewhere else? Thanks
Old 11-27-2002, 10:05 AM
aggie300zx

I would do some searching for most of theses topics. In regards to the MP3 playing in factory decks...I think we are still a little bit away from that being standard. I just installed the Alpine 7998 in my Z this past weekend and love it. You will be happy to know that the Metra stereo kit thats available comes with the a small storage din to fill the other spot. This will allow you to use the nav void for your monitor and still have a small area for key cards, toll tags, etc. As for amps, people have put those in several places, I went with smaller amps so I have one under each seat (need the storage compartment). Others, have used the storage comparent behind driver's seat or if you don't put a sub behind the drivers seat there is a big void there as well. The good part about this car is that their are a lot of voids where you can get creative in the placement of things.

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2002, 12:24 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: aftermarket audio upgrade for 350Z

Originally posted by dmcgibbo
...ALSO, if I wanted to put in the Alpine CD changer, could I fit that in one of the receptacles behind the seat (the two little rectangles) with little modification?...
I am having a complete system being done (week 2 as I am typing this) and was planning on using one of the two rectangular "cubby (sp?) spaces" in the speakerpod to house my Alpine 634 mp3/CD changer (bought it through Nazar for $225). I was told it would fit there, but unfortunately my subs will be mounted right behind the speakerpod and there was a concern about making the CDs skip... At some point this weekend I am going to post some pictures of the work being done and the sub enclosure they built to house four 8" BA Proseries Subs.

To get an idea of the amount of space the Z has, here's a picture (or an attempt at one any way) showing pretty much everything removed. I just hope it all goes back together again...
Old 11-27-2002, 12:35 PM
dmcgibbo

z461's install pictures have him installing the amp behind/under the passenger glove box but from the pictures it looks like they had to raise the floor of the glovebox and now its at an angle. Was it like that before or has it changed or is it an illusion? I want to put an amp in so that it is completely hidden and don't lose any space and under the seat probably isn't enough room so putting it in the storage would be great if it didn't take up room but i can't tell from the picture. also, is z461 gone or still on this forum? thanks!

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=amp+pictures

Old 11-28-2002, 04:26 AM
dmcgibbo

well what's the verdict? is it slanted up or are nissans always like that or what? z461 said everything fit and looks stock but it looks like he lost passenger compartment room here. if it was always like that and its not an illusion that the compartment is slanted up - how does everything not fall out of the compartment when you put stuff in there?
Old 11-28-2002, 05:40 AM
speedtrip

Default Re: aftermarket audio upgrade for 350Z

However, that would leave another empty din of space - what should you put there?

I replaced the double din unit in my maxima se and I used the storage pocket from the gxe model because it came with a single din stereo. The storage pocket is exactly din sized and deep and wide enough to hold cd cases. It's flat back so I don't know how it will match the 350Z's interior. Just go to your dealership and have the parts department pull up a 97 maxima gxe and they should be able to find it. It cost $15.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:12 AM
dmcgibbo

oooh do you have a picture of it? what do you think about z461's amp in the storage - is that like original or did it lose space? it looks tilted...
Old 11-28-2002, 07:59 AM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oooh do you have a picture of it?...
If you are talking about a dash kit for the Z, Raceboy had a thread on the installation of his Metra dash kit which looks completely stock. You can usually order it through Circuit City or any stereo installer should be able to get it. I got mine for $12 but I believe Circuit City charges ~$18. The lower pocket is not quite a full din size.

As far as a slant in the "glovebox", I believe that's an illusion as the bottom of the stock box is level. Hope that helps.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:19 AM
dmcgibbo

no i was referring to speedtrip's maxima pocket. i don't understand the metra kit where the Z has a 2 din plus like 1/2 and inch of space but then all that metra plastic makes it less. It really wouldn't be hard for car companies to make a trim plate around the stereo so when u put an aftermarket in, it covers up all the extra junk. but instead stock headunits are always flush so you can never get it to look as good. oh well

i really just wish i could find another component or something to put in that location instead of having a pocket. the dash looks bad enough w/ being totally plastic and having that big compartment where the nav screen would go. It would be SO cool if alpine had a indash cd changer...
Old 11-29-2002, 06:38 AM
speedtrip

oooh do you have a picture of it? what do you think about z461's amp in the storage - is that like original or did it lose space? it looks tilted...
I burned up all the batteries for my digital camera yesterday for thanksgiving. I will take a picture of it and email it to you as soon as I can.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:44 PM
12SecZ

Default Mine will be done this wekend (install)

A kicker 1200.1 and 600.4 will be in the spare tire well behind a distrubution block. Two one fard caps and an XM Sattelite Tuner will be i9n the sub woofer pod.

When pics are up on my website I will post the link.
I chose the Aluminum colored Pioneer MP840 and the kit is being custom made from fiberglas and will include a bass remote ****.
Image Dymanics will be my 6.5's. I will also have two Kicker 02L710's!
Old 11-30-2002, 03:39 AM
dmcgibbo

so the amps will be hidden and not take up room? where are u putting those kicker subs? that sounds cool. on that post where someone was calling scheman or something like that out for using other's ebay pictures, he had a picture of an alpine installed and a piece of aluminum used as a trim piece - it looked pretty nice. I'd like to install an alpine 7897 in the top part of the 2 din area and have a pocket for the 2nd din (well i'd rather have an indash cd changer or something else but alpine doesn't make anything else). and then in front of the metra kit put an aluminum trim piece so that you can't see any of the crappy plastic metra kit but i don't know if that's possible or if anyone in the area could do anything like that.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:11 AM
12SecZ

Default Hi Gibbo

The subs will be in a sealed box behind the seat but before the rear STB. They make a box that fits there, so no custom costs involved. Just make sure you get the MDF one if you choose prefab. The subs will fire up and to the rear towards the back of the window. I think it will sound good.

At first even the head unit was going to be hidden in the stock NAV box but it wouldn't fit. It will be as Stealth as I can though because Monday I am getting my back 3 tinted with Lumar.
Haven't chose a color yet.