Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Compustar 2WSS-AS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Phalocke
The Immortal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compustar 2WSS-AS

Hi guys I live in the Orange County, CA area and wanted to buy the Compustar 2WSS-AS for my Z. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can buy and have installed at a reputable shop. If you can let me know how much you guys spend on the alarm and labor would be great. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compustar lists dealers on their site. http://www.compustar.org/
Old 01-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Anomaly460

Im in the st louis area and i just got the same system not even a week ago. I got the 2wss as alarm/window module/bypass module/and an extra keyfob (1 way only)...Be prepared to pay around a grand and be without your car for at least 2 days. My car started doing crazy sh*t today too like rolling down the windows by themselves when the door is just opened and my remote starter doesnt work half the time(any other compustar owners have this happen??). And whats crazy is everything worked fine when i picked it up.So im gonna have to take it back and have them check the wiring.

All in all its a very cool system but its not worth the money IMO. Plus you may be buying yourself a headache (like the one i may be getting when i have my Z checked out) But if you just have to have this system, compustar offers an A/S package that isnt spread spectrum. Might be worth it to look at those and compare pricing. Reason being is from what i understand the only difference in the SS is the range (which is greatly affected by your surroundings anyway) and the fact that it jumps frequency to prevent "cloning"(overkill IMO). Good luck if you get it and post to let us know how the install went.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Ante Up

the name of the shop is auto sound tel# 909-364-0494. they are located in chino off the 60. the owner's name is eric and he can give you a great deal w/ remote start for under 500.00 installed.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:34 PM
GWAPITO69

i have 2wss and went back to the shop three times. if the installer know what he's doing he can get it done in about 5hours. it cost me $500 installed but there's no window roll up/down feature cause they want to charge me $150 for it. i got mine installed where ANTE UP got his. from my understanding you cannot use the remote start if you use the arm/disarm function after you leave your vehicle. if you need to get something from your car use the trunk release button instead this way it won't mess up your remote start function.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Phalocke
The Immortal

Originally posted by GWAPITO69
i have 2wss and went back to the shop three times. if the installer know what he's doing he can get it done in about 5hours. it cost me $500 installed but there's no window roll up/down feature cause they want to charge me $150 for it. i got mine installed where ANTE UP got his. from my understanding you cannot use the remote start if you use the arm/disarm function after you leave your vehicle. if you need to get something from your car use the trunk release button instead this way it won't mess up your remote start function.
How come you went back to the shop three times? Was there a problem with the install?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:08 PM
GWAPITO69

the first time they don't have the module for the key chip. came back second time the guy who installed my alarm was on vacation and the guy who is installing the module installed everything but couldn't figure out how to activate the turbo timer. third time took only 3mins to program the turbo timer. but if they have everything you should be out in less than 5hours. they're all cool guys and they won't rip you off.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:33 PM
KPierson
Banned

Yeah it shouldn't take 2 days to do one of these installs....

There is actually nothing difficult with these cars when it comes to alarm installations. The only setback is getting wires in the drivers door. The windows up/down should be able to be added with very little work if the installer knows what he is doing. You don't need any special modules, just a spare validity (or better yet 2 spare) channel.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:32 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Anomaly460
Im in the st louis area and i just got the same system not even a week ago. I got the 2wss as alarm/window module/bypass module/and an extra keyfob (1 way only)...Be prepared to pay around a grand and be without your car for at least 2 days. My car started doing crazy sh*t today too like rolling down the windows by themselves when the door is just opened and my remote starter doesnt work half the time(any other compustar owners have this happen??). And whats crazy is everything worked fine when i picked it up.So im gonna have to take it back and have them check the wiring.

All in all its a very cool system but its not worth the money IMO.
you got robbed.. I got exactly what you got and paid $525 installed at Nazar's shop.. and it didn't take 2 days.. it took all of 4 hours

and the system has been working fine for 4 months now.. not a problem..

--mike
Old 01-28-2005, 01:33 AM
Anomaly460

Originally posted by leemik
you got robbed.. I got exactly what you got and paid $525 installed at Nazar's shop.. and it didn't take 2 days.. it took all of 4 hours

and the system has been working fine for 4 months now.. not a problem..

--mike
Yeah, the price did seem hella high. But i posted a thread a couple of weeks ago before i got it and other peeps said that paid in the 900 range. I dont think i got ripped off i just think you got a really phat deal(trying to make myself feel better)
And the place i went to definitely didnt know what they were doing. But st louis is probably one of the worst places to be if youre gonna have your car modded in any way...Oh yeah and whoever said they dont need the window module is correct. I took it back and they had to trash the module and wire it up to the factory window option (rolling your window up using the key in the door)..so dont buy a window module phalocke.

Last edited by Anomaly460; 01-28-2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Phalocke
The Immortal

I got the alarm yesterday and I like it alot. But they wanted to charge me for a window module and labor fees so I decided not to get it at this time. Other then that, it works like a charm.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:27 PM
KPierson
Banned

Once the alarm is installed and working properly (like you say it is) take it to them and have them hook a (-) validity aux channel up to the lock wire and one up to unlock wire. This will give you the window feature. If you only have one validity aux channel you can use a relay to split it in to two. I made a post one here with a wiring diagram that shows how to do it. It kills me that there are people that are that inexperianced installing high end alarms on new cars.....
Old 01-28-2005, 01:34 PM
KPierson
Banned

Oh, and anything over $650 is too much. I've installed quite a few alarms in my day and only one of them that I can think of was over $600. It was in a work van and the guy wanted door lock actuators in ALL four doors and then wanted some other custom stuff done. There really isn't any custom or escessive labor on this car like I said before. The only thing I can see is an additional charge to run the wires into the door.

Its been a while since I installed alarms but it seems like the high end Viper LCD alarm was $479 installed. On the Z you would need a $50 immobilizer bypass. Throw in $50 in additional labor charges to get the wires in the door and that should be it... $579.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Phalocke
The Immortal

Got a question, anybody know how to adjust the sensitivity of the shock sensor? I want to adjust it a little bit higher.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Anomaly460

Originally posted by Phalocke
Got a question, anybody know how to adjust the sensitivity of the shock sensor? I want to adjust it a little bit higher.
I was wondering the same thing
Old 01-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Tye

A lot of your satisfaction will depend on the install so get someone who knows Compustar. I've had mine for about a year and a half and Its pretty nice. The problem seems to be that the shock sensors and motion sensors either quit working or lose their sensitivity and you have to keep messing with it. I eventually gave up trying to get it right. I have the 2wss-as (top of the line paid 245 on Ebay, install as like 200) and their totally full of crap about what they tell you the range is (mile and a half) (more like 20ft). I suspect all aftermarket alarms are like this. It will page you from further away if the alrm goes off but as far as opening doors, starting car etc. not much range.

Besides that its cool. Lots of good features. Remote start, open gas cover, open hatch, it will lock passively, and the little remote/pager is pretty sturdy (I've dropped it many times)

I just worried about what happens if I lose that thing. If I unlock the car with my key the alarm will go off and my car wont start. Guess I'd have to pull a fuse.

All aftermarket stuff is a tradeoff. Too bad our cars dont come with better options from the factory. But aftermarket stereo is a must for the Z and it gives way more satisfaction than stupid alarms that don't work. Fortunatly all you need is the appearance of an alarm to deter most thiefs but we don't have very good alternatives when trying to protect our equipment.

Also better to have alarm installed after you get stereo stuff. I put my alarm in first and then the headunit installation screwed up the motion sensor and the alarm installer then has an excuse why it doesn't work and he can't fix it.