Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tweeter choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 09:40 PM
dannichols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need EQ in the tight range of 20hz to 80hz? I guess it would help but I think it's really important to have the seperate control when I switch from rock/pop to heavy bass music.

Thanks...Go to sleep man
Old 02-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

check my post I found the EQ for you!
Its actually what I should have bought, but the deal I got on my PG EQ was outstanding...

US$ 289.99 not too bad for outstanding quality

I cant sleep

Last edited by Ahsmo; 02-11-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:19 PM
dannichols

One more Q Ahsmo. The 215i, is it a heavy (weight)? I have a rather cheezy amp rack and want to mount an EQ and my crossovers on top.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Its hefty but not too bad
Old 02-17-2005, 12:15 PM
dannichols

I picked up an EQ 215i and PG 100.2 amp yesterday. Now if I can figure out the wiring..
Old 02-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

hah easy
Old 02-27-2005, 08:41 AM
dannichols

An update on the EQ, especially for Alex. Here's a pic from yesterday. Today it is running and sounds great. Alex, do you know if audio shops typically provide a service to tune the EQ using test equipment?
Attached Thumbnails Tweeter choices-zamprac1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

You just have to call around...its hit or miss.

is that 4 or 8 gauge there in amp?

any hiss?

everything looks clean
Old 02-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

To tune it use your ears...

set everything flat

play around with the settings to see how the system sounds with zero tuning, you can usually figuer out what needs to be messed with pretty fast.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:34 AM
dannichols

Thanka Alex, the whole cubby area is covered in neoprene, and I used thin plywood cutouts for the amps, EQ, and crossover mounts. I have a similar setup without X-over or EQ on the opposite side (I have no glove compartment) for the Sub Amp.

I wimped out with the power wiring. I have a 4g running back and split to (2) 8g wires going to each amp. The amps are grounded with 8 gauge to chassis. Do you think I should re-run 2g split to 4g and seperate ground cable? The amps are only about 200W RMS each.

I ran 12g spk cable to the xover and sub, and 16g /18g for mids/tweets. One major pain I had was using MONSTER XLNPro RCA cabling. This stuff is friggin' huge! It has the diameter of 2g power wire. Very difficult to run through the center console. And the RCA tips clamp on so tight I can't get them back off. In fact, I tried getting the RCA's off the E/Q to re-position it and I pulled so hard the outer shield on the E/Q RCA plug popped off!

Anyways, the system sounds sweet and no hiss that I can hear at all. With the EQ flat, I have a bit too much mid-high and high for my taste, so I lowered the ***** for 1k and up to suit my taste. I noticed the little lights for .2V, 2V and 8v on the EQ, they light up based on the volume. What do they represent? Clipping or maybe just input signal????

Thanks for your suggestions and help. If it weren't for you guys on this board I would probably be running a Pep Boys Kraco system.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I would seriously think about upgrading the power wire, if you dont have any problems with lights dimming and that kind of thing you might get by with what ya got. As long as you arent driving subs with those 200 xenon watts, you should be just fine.

If you look at your RCAs... they should be the screw type where you unscrew the sheild on the out side to losen the RCA plug off the female end.

The lights just indicate what input voltage the EQ is getting. It should peak out at 8v... that is, the light (8v one)will come on every once in a while but not stay on. If it stays on, you are clipping the EQ.

How are running your RCAs?
Single set from the deck to eq, EQ to highs amp, highs amp to sub?
Old 02-27-2005, 08:48 PM
dannichols

I just use the the Front RCA outs to the EQ and the EQ out to the PG Amp. I run a seperate "Sub" out from the H/U to the other amp. I know this doesn't give me much EQ control for the sub (H/U has a little Q setting options) but I am more than satisfied with just keeping the sub the way it was and tinkering with the mid/tweet EQ settings.

Can you give me a rundown of the setting syou are using for your EQ regarding gain. There are quite a few level ***** (see pic), which I currently have set to 0.

I spent an hour in the garage tinkering with the EQ. It has really made a great difference. I was at the point of trashing the Diamonds and tweets because of the harshness. They probably don't need EQ'ing in a larger vehicle, but in the Z the highs are too much. I had tried toning them down 6db with the crossovers, but that simply got rid of ALL the highs. It was only certain parts of the mid-high and high areas that needed toning down IMO. There is a fine line between "bright and harsh" and too soft. The EQ let e pinpoint the problem areas and accentuate some freqs that were lacking.

One more strange thing I noticed... I seem to have to offset the balance in my car to the left. You would think since the right speaker is further away it would need more volume, but the opposite seems true.

And, my lights do dim with mucho bass...but only hen I'm running on battery power.
Attached Thumbnails Tweeter choices-zamprac1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

sound good with the RCAs its how I ran my car for a while

Input gains are set such that the red lights blink every once in a while at full volume...its really hard to say where to set those. I think they are hardly boosted at all due to my line driver.

Output gains...
Mine are set such that I get the red light next to 8v going every so often but not all the time at full volume. These are set maybe slightly above 0.

Glad the EQ is working out for ya. I hope you are happy with the Xenon as well.

I noticed something similar to what you are describing with the off balance response. I think it has to do something with imaging and the way our brain responds to it. I only noticed it before I got my kick panels
Old 02-28-2005, 06:10 AM
dannichols

Interesting about the kick panels. I have my tweeters in the kick panels now but they are mounted poorly. I basically just cut holes in them and stuck them in. Do you have custom fabricated panels? If so who made them? I was planning on making some myself but am afraid I'll screw it up.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by dannichols
Interesting about the kick panels. I have my tweeters in the kick panels now but they are mounted poorly. I basically just cut holes in them and stuck them in. Do you have custom fabricated panels? If so who made them? I was planning on making some myself but am afraid I'll screw it up.
In my disaster that was supposed to be a show quality install, my installer built them. I have custom fabricated panels.

If I could go back in time I would install everything myself, but no use in relishing in hind sight

If we lived closer together Id help you build them
Old 02-28-2005, 07:45 AM
dannichols

Thanks Alex, I'm moving to Kansas City next year so maybe then.. I'm just gonna keep the tweets as they are down there for now. I have them tilted up and back and they sound great..just don't look very good.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

cool
Old 02-28-2005, 10:02 AM
motown

wow dan, glad to see you took the plunge with that eq! that's a nice piece of kit you've got there.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:07 AM
dannichols

Thanks Motown. It feels good to be done with the system and all the panels and such back in the car. Well..at least for awhile ;-)
Old 02-28-2005, 10:26 AM
motown

Originally posted by dannichols
Thanks Motown. It feels good to be done with the system and all the panels and such back in the car. Well..at least for awhile ;-)
HA! I sympothize completely. Planning my summer tear-down now... Promise I'll take pix this time!

Quick Reply: Tweeter choices