Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tweeter choices

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:47 AM
dannichols

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeter choices

Anyone have feedback on the following tweeters?

Focal TN-52
JL XR100-CT or VR075-CT
MB Quart RTE20
Infinity Kappa 10.5t
StingPro DT39 (kidding)

I'm looking for clarity and accuracy without harshness or ringing. And a model that is forgiving in mount location.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:23 AM
motown

what're u looking to do with them? suplement your existing system or replace the tweets you've already got?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:27 AM
dannichols

Want to replace the tweeters that came with my Diamond Audio set, which IMO are too bright, harsh, and ringy despite attempts to relocate, better amplify, reverse-phase, and lower db to them. I want very LOUD but very smooth if that exists.

I'm still working on the ambient tweeters project but that is taking second priority to the main tweeters.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:22 PM
JasZ

I have the TN-52 tweeters. They're pretty nice and decently loud, but I have never heard the Diamond Audio tweets. Usually the TN-52s sound great. Sometimes a little harsh depending on the music. Did you find some place where you can buy the TN-52's seperate from the K2P component set? I wanted an extra one to double as a center channel.

Yes, I have surround sound in my Roadster. What can I say? I got bored.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:00 PM
dannichols

All of the other tweets I can find seperately. The focal's were just someone who had sold his car and was piecing out his system. Not sure if I want to get them used though...

The Diamond's would probably be OK if I listened to mostly pop music, but some of my selections are very treble heavy and if cranked they sound really bright, almost stinging my ears. I have them EQ adjusted to tone them down above 4k and I have the crossovers set to -3 right now.

BTW: I did see a single TN-52 for sale on E-bay..don't know if it sold, but it was also used.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

dannichols you could add resistors inline with the tweeter from the crossover, that will cut down on the harshness as much as you want to
Old 02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
dannichols

Thanks Ahsmo, I will give a try. I am starting to think though that I just don't like the Diamond Tweeters, SQ wise.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:19 AM
motown

yeah, try the resistor. although that's prolly what the -3db setting already does, still worth a try. alternatively, try using a seperate amp with an audio control multi-band eq/crossover unit to really dial them in. ok, that ain't cheap, but it's an option. sounds like quite a project either way...
Old 02-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

yeah the -3db just switches a resistor inline I wish I could remeber the values. I can find out if you like dannichols
Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 PM
JimRHIT

Adding a resistor inline will only attenuate the whole tweeter entirely. I'd suggest adding some sort or notch filter on the high end if you feel they are harsh.

Also, adding a Focal tweet to a Diamond setup could be a very bad idea.

You have to realize that the tweeter and mid were used to design that crossover. The tweeter is crossed over as low as possible to allow for good off axis response on the mid, while still protecting the tweeter (xo is above resonance). If the Diamond tweeter has a much lower resonance than the Focal that you wish to replace with, you risk blowing the tweeter if it is unable to play as low as the old one.

I only say this b/c Diamond uses metal cones last I checked, which do not have good off axis response on the high end, so they are crossed over failrly low, whereas the Focal drivers are paper or kevlar etc, much better at playing higher, so they XO design and the tweeter are designed at a much higher frequency.

Just be careful with it is all I am saying, cause I think it won't work well at all.

Jim
Old 02-07-2005, 12:28 PM
dannichols

Thanks Jim. I wouldn't even be considering if it weren't for my complete distaste of the Diamond tweeter. The ones I have are their silk version. I have had a little luck using the EQ in my Excelon HU to lower certain freq's.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 AM
motown

jim makes a good point. if you're gonna ditch one component of the set, you'll likely either need to design your own custom passive crossover networks or bi-amp and go active as i'd suggested above. really, i think if you want absolute control the active crossover / equalizer route tuned with an RTA would be a good place to begin. but i'm old-fashioned i guess...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:02 PM
rotaryrocket7

You didn't mention the Dynaudio's, they aren't too much more than the focal's if I remember correctly. They are incredibely soft; almost to the point I wish they were brighter. Great speakers, but like everyone else has mentioned yhou'll need to convert to a new crossover.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

go active hehe pick up a RE XXX 6.5 and a dynaudio tweeter...

that would be sweet
Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 PM
dannichols

Why not just use my 4 channel amp to do it?

like front channels running the 6.5's w/ LPF on amp for crossover

And rear channels running tweeters using HPF on amp for crossover??
Old 02-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

that would work...

can your amp do bandpass?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:29 PM
dannichols

despite the hiss, The Soundstream has some interesting features. The variable crossovers go up to 5khz. By bandpass do you mean a selective range of frequencies cutoff on the high and low-ends???
Old 02-08-2005, 02:42 PM
JimRHIT

to do this "properly" you will need some sort of RTA system ... a soundblaster audigy and some diy software will give you a rough estimate of what to do ....

I don't necessarily recommend going active unless you have access to all of the proper equipment like some of us do

This could be the best system you'll even build, if done right, but if not setup properly, you may end up worse off than before.

-Jim
Old 02-08-2005, 02:45 PM
dannichols

I have a time-domain reflectometer and a spectrum analyzer. No... actually I have nothing of the sort.. It looks like if I do decide on new tweeters I will just likely get the crossover designed to go with them as well.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:51 PM
JimRHIT

honestly, you would be best of selling the current component set you have, and purchasing a new setup.

Audio is a bitcch man ... reviewers and everyone elses' ear that say some setup is great may in no way fit your tastes.

Good luck on the search for better sound ... believe me ... it never ends

Quick Reply: Tweeter choices