Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How many Z's with Carputers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Blue 03 Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many Z's with Carputers

Im building a carputer for navi, dvd, mp3 it should do everything. I have all my components and I'm gonna use Road Runner as my front end. Anyone have any suggestions for navi. software. I have MS Streets and Trips for backup because I got steal on it. I'm trying to decide whether to get Destinator 3 or Co-Pilot live 8. Any suggestions welcomed
Old 03-16-2005, 07:43 AM
desiZ

copilot (ppl say) is the best for touch-screen friendliness.. but i would recommend iguidance v2... watsay mike ?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally Posted by dave079
I am getting my xbox modded soon and having a member do it for me. I just bought the Xecuter 2.6 CE mod chip and will be purchasing a 200gig HD for it. I have the kenwood ddx7015 and will basically just use that as my screen. Will this screen work as well as any other touch screen? Anyone else done this kind of combo yet and how close will this be to an in car PC?
It should be pretty close considering an XBOX is basically a computer. The only difference is that it does not have USB ports, well, it does but you have to buy adapters to get them to a normal shape , and you don't have as much flexibility with an XBOX as you do with a computer.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:04 AM
stu46

you can also load linux on the xbox.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:50 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue 03 Z
Anyone have any suggestions for navi. software. I have MS Streets and Trips for backup because I got steal on it. I'm trying to decide whether to get Destinator 3 or Co-Pilot live 8. Any suggestions welcomed
Co-Pilot is expensive but pretty nice from what I heard.. For like 1/3 the cost, I use iGuidance v2.0.. I think it's excellent from what I've seen. Very quick route recalculations, accurate voice navigation, 3D views, zoom and maps are really good too.. Haven't gotten lost with this software yet

MS Streets and Trips has a lot of shortcomings.. for one, the screen is way too small..

--mike
Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 PM
L337350

i know it's a long shot, but is there any program for xbox that does navigation?

Xbox seems to do everything i want like dvd, mp3, media files, etc... but i havent heard of it doing navigation.. is there linux navigation software if i want to load linux to it?

one more thing... if i use the usb adapter for xbox along with a touch screen... will i be able to browse menus in the xbox media center by touching the screen or do i still have to use the controller? i dont want have to have the controller out in the car all the time. i'd like to hide it away except for when i'm playing games

thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Blue 03 Z

Leemik how is the interface of IGuidance 2.0, I have a 7"Xenarc Touchscreen. Is it touchscreen friendly and what GPS reciever are you using. Thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 12:54 PM
leemik
!

Originally Posted by Blue 03 Z
Leemik how is the interface of IGuidance 2.0, I have a 7"Xenarc Touchscreen. Is it touchscreen friendly and what GPS reciever are you using. Thanks
I use a 7" lilliput touchscreen.. iGuidance is not the most friendly touchscreen software..some buttons are too small like the "zoom" and menus but that's really the only problem .. I think if you search mp3car.com somone has create a hack to make some of the buttons bigger..

If you have a stylus you'd be better off

Originally Posted by L337350
i know it's a long shot, but is there any program for xbox that does navigation?
Good Luck on that one.. I think Co-Pilot and iGuidance (Routis) are the two best software/PC based GPS packages.. Haven't heard anything of Linux.. good luck hooking up a GPS receiver to the xbox and getting drivers that work too..

--mike
Old 03-16-2005, 12:55 PM
L337350

Originally Posted by leemik

Good Luck on that one.. I think Co-Pilot and iGuidance (Routis) are the two best software/PC based GPS packages.. Haven't heard anything of Linux.. good luck hooking up a GPS receiver to the xbox and getting drivers that work too..

--mike
Yeah, i figured it would be a longshot
Old 03-16-2005, 12:57 PM
leemik
!

Originally Posted by L337350
one more thing... if i use the usb adapter for xbox along with a touch screen... will i be able to browse menus in the xbox media center by touching the screen or do i still have to use the controller? i dont want have to have the controller out in the car all the time. i'd like to hide it away except for when i'm playing games
doubt it.. you'd need touchscreen drivers to make it work..

--mike
Old 03-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Blue 03 Z

One more question Leemik, how is copilot 8 live. Does it have 3d view and is it good for touchscreens?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Conceyted

i need to get myself a copy of copilot 8. I have ms streets and trips 2005 right now and its a POS. i have to connect every time i start my computer up, the maps are small, buttons are small, and it hardly ever connects to the damn gps reciever anyway!

On a side note, where are you guys mounting your gps reciever, i tried mounting mine on the dash right above my tripple gauge center console area, but it seems that the windshield might be seriously effecting my satelite feeds. Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:16 PM
MySunset350Z

went with the modded xbox route myself. a lot easier to work with imo. parts r on order
Old 03-17-2005, 06:07 AM
leemik
!

Originally Posted by Conceyted
On a side note, where are you guys mounting your gps reciever, i tried mounting mine on the dash right above my tripple gauge center console area, but it seems that the windshield might be seriously effecting my satelite feeds. Any ideas?
Try iGuidance v2.0.. it's only $99 and does the job very well.. unless you don't mind forking over nearly the whole cost of the CarPC for Co-Pilot 8

I have a BU-303 GPS mouse receiver and mounted it on my roof inside a "sharkfin".. It's the only location where I can get any decent reception.. and I tried MANY places inside the Z..

Originally Posted by dave079
Thats the exact question I would like answered also. If this will work on the kenwood ddx7015 touch screen instead of using the controller to control it
I very highly doubt it.. because #1 the screen would have to allow an external control connection to like USB or Firewire or something like that and #2 you would have to have the proper hardware drivers.

--mike
Old 03-17-2005, 09:03 AM
desiZ

i tried several internal locations with not even one satellite lock till finally i put it as shown below (the little small blackblob) and i get 6-7 satellites if not 10... its weatherproof and its been tested with this california rain and it works great...
Attached Thumbnails How many Z's with Carputers-sanfrancisco-040.jpg