Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

fyi - VIN security

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 02:27 AM
bjr48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fyi - VIN security

This must be one of the latest theft tactics. It was news to me...

THIEF

NEWS22'S Amanda Hart tried to steal my car today and almost did. Actually, she is doing a story on some sophisticated thieves who get the VIN numbers off cars and then go and ask for a replacement key. One of our producers was able to get a key but it did not have an electronic chip in it. So, Amanda could only briefly start the engine and then it shut off. Still, this is a story you should hear and see.

I missed the story on TV but when I joked to my wife that I was covering up my dash VIN with something from the inside she said that's exactly what they recommend.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:40 AM
manofsteele2003

The dealership that sold them the key could actually be sued. I work at a dealer part time and when we order or make keys the person has to show proof of ownership of the vehicle and proper photo identification. The person ordering the key has to show that to order the key and they have to show it again and sign a form when they pick it up, no exceptions.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

That's scary! I'm putting a sticker or decal over the VIN when I get home.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:10 AM
bjr48

it sure is hard to get masking tape in there between the window and dash. I had some nice gray foam laying around and cut a strip to fit neatly in there to make sure it's covered up completely. Much easier and easy to remove too.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would the new key have the proper code for the factory imobilizer base on just the VIN?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:48 PM
juyz

This is so true. My friend also email this to me.

I received this from a friend and thought I would pass it on.
Hmmm!! You would think the Dealerships would require verification

first.

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all. The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # or take a picture of it with a camera cell phone of the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #. I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealers Parts Department will make a duplicate key from

the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car. He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy. To avoid this from happening to

you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it cant be viewed through the windshield by a car thief. I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck. I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN # .