Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need Alarm help having issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
WhiteZed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Alarm help having issues.....

about 3 months ago i go an alarm installed

they were stupid and simply ran the cables thru the back of one of the seals...

i didnt know untill late one night i washed my car,
water and holes that go into the interior = trouble

anyway my ecu fried and my fusebox and all the electics got extremly wet....

about 3 weeks later my new ecu was installed and im on my way...

since then i have had problems,
very randomly my car wont start, when i turn my accessories on the RED factory alarm light will stay lit, if i try start my car, it will not kick over, similar to a flat battery sort of thing.....

if i took my keys out reset my alarm and then tryed again everything would be fine, that would happen randomly once every few days

i took the car back to the alarm place, they had no idea.. i told them to bypass the immobiliser , so they did, since then about 3 weeks ago, it has only done it twice, a lot less than before the immobiliser was bypassed...

im not sure what to do... im 99% sure they have no idea what they are doing and they have connected it wrong...
also im thinking when NISSAN installed my new ECU maybe it has something to do with that???

any ideas? i dont know if i should goto NISSAN and ask them.. or back to the alarm place .. grrrr

im thinking just get the alarm ripped out and forget about it ?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:47 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow what a mess.

As simple as an alarm installation can be it seems they screwed it up and owe it to you to fix it or make it whole again. I would back out to stock and then see what happens to illimate any Nissan issues or damage the original alarm install caused. The alarm installer should do this for you for free, leaving the cables in place just disconnecting them.

Normally an alarm will draw squat for power and it should take a long time - a month or more - to drain the battery flat.

My 2005 came with a Nissan installed in-key immobilizer. Sounds like yours didn't or that you added a second one?

There should be very few wires on the alarm system - one to each door to detect the stock door pin hitting ground (you need two as they're seperate circuits). Another heading aft to do the same for the hatchback. Another running forward to an installer added hood pin to detect the opening of the hood. To that add the +12V from the battery and you ought to be good-to-go. Some alarms add external shock sensors or connect to the stock radio antenna (pager type alarms) The only thing that ought to be causing a problem with the alarm is the +12V as the rest just drop that voltage to ground across the sensor pin.

The after market immobilizer could be the issue and I would suspect it first. Going back to stock for a few weeks would be the way to test the alarm installer.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:56 PM
WhiteZed

ahh, i have the key immobilier too, thats why i suggested bypass the aftermarket one.... as i dont really need it,

no shock sensors

all it has are ultra sonic movement sensors, and yes both doors hatch and bonnet....

the only thing i can suggest, other than the alarm is faulty or installed wrong

that maybe the relay is rusted / corroded after being wet ?
hence sticky relay every now and then makes car not work ?

i will look at that tonight though
Old 04-07-2005, 09:41 PM
SponGer

With car electronics, the first thing I would check is to make sure the alarm is properly grounded. A bad ground will cause the alarm to be finicky. If the ground is good, bypass the alarm by removing +12V constant. Now, it also sounds like the starter kill relay is bad. Most alarms nowadays have built-in relays, so simply follow the wires from the alarm (or if applicable, separate relay) to the ignition or starter wires. Disconnect the starter/ignition wires from the relay and re-connect them using a 30 amp Buss fuse. No need to disconnect the shock sensors, door switches, etc. You have now bypassed the alarm and starter kill.
If the car runs and starts fine, you've eliminated the problem.
BTW, most shops have insurance to cover installer f*ck-ups like this.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:13 PM
WhiteZed

well they already paid $2500 for a new ECU

yes $2500 .. thats AUD

so about $2000 US already for a new ECU

not bad considering i only paid $450 for the alarm....

it will be hard to play trial and error considering it only happens every now and then, i will pull it apart tonight / maybe tomorrow in the daylight, and have a look at everything too, i never thought to check the ground either.. will try find that and see how its grounded

if that fails and relays are fine, ill try bypass the alarm as you said, see how that goes, thanks for the help
Old 04-08-2005, 05:56 AM
SponGer

Bypass the alarm and relay (if separate) at the same time. Bypassing the alarm only will have no affect on the starter relay. Oh yeah, the fuse fix I mentioned above is a temporary fix. If your problems disappear after awhile, it would be best to solder your starter or ignition wires back together.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:57 AM
KPierson
Banned

With the RED OEM alarm light coming on I would look towards the factory electronics. Did you have a remote start system installed?

Another issue you may be having is with the factory disarming of the system. However, the disarm and the unlock signals are on the same wire, so if the doors are unlocking the OEM alarm should be disarmed. I don't think there is anything the aftermarket alarm could do to light your OEM LED, and I don't think the OEM LED comes on when you try to crank the car.