Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Screen in the navigation door

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 02:35 PM
vitaminZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by solidsnake
what inverter do you guys have and how are they hooked up? through battery or hardwired? Im having buzzing problem when i power uo the inverter. whats the deal?
forgot what brand i have but i hardwired it to the rear cig. lighter. i don't have any buzzing problems though. did you do battery or cig lighter?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:38 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we have it connected the the battery, we are trying to avoid hardwiring anything due to future problems. How many watts is your inverter? where is your inverter located?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:50 PM
vitaminZ

we have it connected the the battery, we are trying to avoid hardwiring anything due to future problems. How many watts is your inverter? where is your inverter located?
the inverter is double-sided taped and zip-tied to a what i'll call for now a beam between the passenger side glove box and the stock sub location. i don't remember what brand or the wattage. i haven't gotten around to taking pics. i will try for tonight after i take my nap! lol i didn't cut any wires when i hardwired the inverter. i just stripped back the wire and tapped in. then i soldered and taped my connections. i would definitely tap in at the rear cig. lighter. that 12volt source is switched as oppose to the battery. you would have to put a switch to turn off the inverter and what ever is connected to it, if you use the battery.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Th3Cleaner

I too bolted my inverter behind the beam between the passenger side glove box and the stock sub location ^ my Alpine Amp is where the Glove box is located and my PC install is where the Sub would have been located. I used a 12v relay tied into the amps 12v power on switch for the inverter. Power on the stereo and the inverter comes on and powers the PC.

500W Inverter at sams club for 29.00 a bit noisy, need to put damping material on the back side to cut the inverters vibration down before you bolt it in.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:17 PM
vitaminZ

Originally Posted by Th3Cleaner
need to put damping material on the back side to cut the inverters vibration down before you bolt it in.
i for got to mentiion that i used double-sided tape on the backside of the inverter (placed against beam), then i zipp-tied the inverter.

solidsnake: so you mean you have like electrical noise? for example; whining or popping sounds through your speakers or do you mean mechanical noise like rubbing, vibrating, or clunking type sounds?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:22 PM
solidsnake

its a buzzing noise heard when we increase the vloume on radio. not a bee kinda buzz but a distorted buzz that totall ruins the audio. the audio sounded to freakign sweat when we plugged in the screen and ps2 to the home outlet but once connected to the inverter..all to hell it went. Also if its any help, i have the farenheit screen. how are you guys powerig the screen. i have both the ps2 and screen connected to the inverter which is 400watts. i think the plug for the screen is a huge 120v iamp transformer..could that be the problemo. how else could i power the screen without having to harwire anything.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Th3Cleaner

behind the driver seat in the stock sub location is where I bought a 4 plug lighter and wired it to the stock sig lighter inbetween the 2 seats... the Inverter is in the same location but its wired directly to the battery and ONLY powers the PC. I tried pluggin in the sound directly to my AMP and I too get inverter noise through the speakers. I tried a FM modulator and the noise increase by 4-5x so needless to say I am going to run speakers for the PC only and not have them hooked up to my stereo system, I didnt want to but I see no other way unless some genius audio freak tell me I need a filter and it will cure the noise.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Th3Cleaner

Originally Posted by vitaminZ
i for got to mentiion that i used double-sided tape on the backside of the inverter (placed against beam), then i zipp-tied the inverter.
I can see where the tape would create a cushion, so thats good, I think my main issue is that 500Watts is too much for what I need, therefore creating extra vibration and noise.

Here not complete but anyway you get an idea of what Im doing
My personal site

Last edited by Th3Cleaner; 04-27-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:47 AM
solidsnake

A friend of mine told me I need a filter and that the noise is coming from the alternator. Is this true? If so, wat filter do I need?
Old 04-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Th3Cleaner

I called my brother who is knowlagable on this topic "Mobile West ~ Portland Or"
And he directed me to a external Input for the Alpine HU, re-programm the HU to use an AUX in and run the PC sound into it through RCA cables.

Now when I need the sound from the PC my HU controls it

Works perfectly !!!!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:31 PM
solidsnake

Can I do that?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:33 PM
jreiter

Originally Posted by Th3Cleaner
I called my brother who is knowlagable on this topic "Mobile West ~ Portland Or"
And he directed me to a external Input for the Alpine HU, re-programm the HU to use an AUX in and run the PC sound into it through RCA cables.
Now when I need the sound from the PC my HU controls it
Works perfectly !!!!!!
Yup, this is the adapter I linked to earlier:
http://www.millionbuy.com/accainetaux.html
That gives you the "aux" input on the Alpine units.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:40 PM
solidsnake

Oh I have that thing..still buzzing. Do I have to get a loop filter to fix it? HELP!!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:50 PM
jreiter

Oh I have that thing..still buzzing. Do I have to get a loop filter to fix it? HELP!!
If you're getting alternator noise, it's often caused by bad grounding somewhere in your system. I have my headunit going straight to my amps with no filters of any sort, and I have absolutely no noise in the system whatsoever. I'm a big fan of not using filters if you can solve the problem otherwise.

Make sure that the ground wires for your headunit and amps have a good connection to a bare metal surface, not painted metal. Also try and keep the ground wires as short as possible. You want to avoid long ground wire runs if you can.

It's also good practice to *not* run your signal wires next to your power wires. For example, don't run the RCA cables that go from your headunit to your amp along next to the power cables that run to the amp. That can generate noise in your signal.

I also have an engine grounding kit. I don't know if this helps with noise in the audio system, though. I got the grounding kit before I had my stereo done, so I never heard it without. Probalby doesn't make a difference, but I suppose it's possible that it could help so maybe it's worth mentioning here.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:56 PM
solidsnake

All I have is the alpine radio, farenheit 7001, alrpine speakers, no amp, and a 400 watt converter wired directly to the battery, WHERE is that buzzing coming from and why cant I get rid of it? When I plugged in the ps2 and screen into a home outlet it was clear as water, then plugged into the inverter and "BUZZ" the audio is screwed. Whats the deal with that?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:04 PM
DougJones

solidsnake, it sounds like the inverter is your culprit.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:09 PM
solidsnake

Im sure it is the inverter but instead of buying a 100 dollar inverter can I just put in a filter? Is it the location of the inverter or is it because it is connected directly into the battery and powering the screen and the ps2? How are other people with farenheit screens powering them since they have that huge transformer.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:30 PM
vitaminZ

progress pics of the screen (same as mine) i installed for my friend

http://gallery.thevboard.com/index.p...ze=512&start=0
Old 05-02-2005, 08:34 PM
solidsnake

Ok I finally got all the video and audio problems solved. Ill post pics of it all as soon as I get the bodykit on. Thanks guys for all the info. It really helped a million.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:42 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how'd you end up solving the buzzing issue?